Thread: Help needed to find what brands are non-steel core ammo

Help needed to find what brands are non-steel core ammo

Hey

My range doesnt allow steel core ammo. I know of mfs and alot of the bulk ammo is steel core but i was wondering what brands are not. I know of hornaby and winchester and remington. I mostly shoot 22, 223,7.62x39 and tokarev 7.62x25. I like to buy ammo online becuz it cheaper than my range but most sites do not say if there steel core or not. Ive always had great help in these forums and cgn community is so helpful so thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by sunjeep24; 04-09-2014 at 06:48 PM.

If "steel core" isn't mentioned, then its not steel core. Most ammo you will come across is lead.

I think they may be concerned about the 5.45 steel core at most ranges, or some imported surplus 7.62, most stuff I've ever seen is lead unless clearly marked otherwise like Hooch said

Some of the Chinese and Bulgarian 7.62 are steel core for sure. Id be checking that physically if your buying surplus ammo, I think I've had Romanian as well that were steel core

It will tear up non hardened 1/2'' steel plate like butter

Be very cautious with the Tokarev as some of the surplus ammo you find in 40 shot bundles is steel core, or just just buy the S&B stuff, or check it physically if your capable and have a puller.
    Last edited by Rasp76; 04-09-2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Worlds worst grammar

Good to know. Thank you.

BANNED
    All commercial hunting ammo is lead cored. Unless it uses Barnes' solid copper bullets. Don't think there is a commercial manufacturer using those though. Cost a lot more than any surplus ammo.
    The seller should mention if surplus is steel core or not. Not all of 'em do, of course. Mind you, if they say 'attracts a magnet' it doesn't necessarily mean steel core. There is lead core, steel jacketed ammo.
    Buying ammo on-line is not less expensive when you factor in the shipping. Reloading is your friend.

Am waiting on a buddy who reloads to show me the right way on doing. I've seen video tutorials but am better learner when it comes to hands on..