Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo storage and restricteds

Ammo storage and restricteds

Hi All,

New guy here; couldn't find any clear explanations in the the legislation so here's my question:

I understand you can store a handgun in a "purpose built safe or vault" without a trigger lock and with ammunition as long as it isn't in the firearm. Would those GunVault safes count as such a safe?

Also: where do people typically store extra ammunition? What kind of containers are commonly used for home storage of ammo?

Thanks!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Those safes (particularly the big ones) look perfectly adequate. What you have to avoid is a "gun cabinet" - the sort of thing Canadian tire sells for under $300 and is just made of cheap sheet metal.

I store my ammo in a first aid kit box I bought from princess auto. It was bigger lighter and cheaper than the surplus ammo cans they had. It doesn't lock but it does have a rubber seal on the lid. Was like $12.

In a year when I move I will be looking for a locking file cabinet for ammo storage purposes but for now I only have two guns so the box works, I don't really need space to nicely organise two calibers.
    Last edited by Suther; 04-12-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks! Are there any particular rules about ammo storage (like locking boxes etc)?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    http://firearmslaw.ca/2011/08/10/ask...tion-response/

The only regulation directly to do with ammo seems to be in regards to storage of a firearm. Remember ammo is governed by the explosives act...(IT refers to a firearm, not ammo.)

it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

The laws are very vague on the topic it seems. I keep my guns in one closet, and my ammo in another. They are both behind stuff, not in plain sight even with the door open, so I consider this good enough. Hell, as stated before, the ammo is in a first aid kit box, it doesn't even look like ammo until you open it. The only way someone is going to find it is if they tear both closets apart, and if someone is doing that then I dont think it really matters WHERE I had it stored. Even if it was locked up, anyone who is already ripping though my closet probably has plenty of time to go find tools downstairs and find the appropriate tools to break into a locked box.

My interpretation (And Im no lawyer) is that as long as the ammo is not with the guns, OR is locked up, you are good.

Also, many larger gun safes have a 2nd compartment inside the safe that can be locked seperately, and is specifically designed for ammo storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    What you have to avoid is a "gun cabinet" - the sort of thing Canadian tire sells for under $300 and is just made of cheap sheet metal.
    No you dont.

There is no legal definition of a safe in Canada and as such they use the dictionary definition, which is made of metal. There have been courts cases on this and school lockers have been deemed to be "safe" under Canadian firearms law. This case was in Ontario.

Also the firearms act has nothing to do with the regulations on ammo only on how guns can be stored in relation to ammo. Ammo is covered under the explosives act.

Here is the law on ammo:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...211/index.html

Shawn

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    Don't go Wrong listen to Shawn (poor play on words), man knows what he's talking about !

I am on a budget. I have a Canadian tire gun cabinet and it works just fine. I keep my ammo separate in the basement in a big old locked trunk. Works for me...

The Canadian tire cabinets really aren't that bad. Wait until they go on sale... got mine 50% off for $75!!! It says 8-gun but its more like 4 long gun and 2 handguns in terms of space, but fine for me.

Get one of those old ammo crates from princess auto for like $25 for your ammo, you can toss a cheap pad lock on it too. All your storage needs met for $100 above and beyond the safety requirements.

This dead horse has been beaten many times...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast