Thread: Range etiquette

Range etiquette

Good evening everyone. Been Lurking awhile here learning as much as I can. I have been around firearms since I was a young boy. Hunting and target shooting. Due to life getting in the way and living down south I have been away from the sport that I love.
    Last week I got my pal and rpal and today just picked up my new GSG 1911 22 lr and my M&P 9mm. I am currently on a wait list for a club . Living WAY up north there were no clubs to be a part of. It was go out into the bush and shoot. ( NON RESTRICTED) Everything safe of course.

Aside from the Safety / Range rules. My question is, Is there an unwritten etiquette that the noobs such as myself may be oblivious to? Perhaps advice ?

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Risewickb; 04-12-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: more information

CGN Regular
    Generally speaking I think discharging a restricted firearm other than on a CFO approved range, or carrying it to a place that is not specified on your LTATT, would be outside the scope of your LTATT and generally highly illegal. Should you be caught in the act by law enforcement, I think you could expect to lose your licence and firearms, if not face more draconian penalties.

my advice would be to find a range.

I'm sorry , perhaps i should have gone into more detail. I have never owned or discharged a restricted firearm . It was all long gun. and legal.

Quote Originally Posted by romurra View Post
    Generally speaking I think discharging a restricted firearm other than on a CFO approved range, or carrying it to a place that is not specified on your LTATT, would be outside the scope of your LTATT and generally highly illegal. Should you be caught in the act by law enforcement, I think you could expect to lose your licence and firearms, if not face more draconian penalties.

I'm sorry , perhaps i should have gone into more detail. I have never owned until now or discharged a restricted firearm . It was all long gun. and legal. ( Edited my first post for more detail )
    Last edited by Risewickb; 04-12-2014 at 09:39 PM.

CGN Regular
    If you can try the range out ahead of time before you join I'd do that.

Mine has some annoying rules but after watching people shoot over the last year some are completely understandable. I've had a blast at Sliverdale, learned a few things I didn't know and got to shoot or at least handle a few pistols and rifles I was thinking of buying down the road.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    I would suggest clean up you brass after you shoot.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer eaglesnester's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by romurra View Post

Re read the original post. The post said nothing at all about shooting restricted firearms in the bush. He was referring to non restricted.

Where are you located?

Some of us can help with finding a good range if we know where you are at.
    If your ad in the EE is for an item that is sold, do us all a favour and mark the header PLS REMOVE.

My advice...for both the bush and at a range...and as a fellow newb...not that you are new to guns, but new to guns in the era we now live in...

If shooting in the bush, clean up after yourself. I have a spot I go to and it is a sty. I always clean up my brass/hulls and a bunch of others left behind. Especially the hulls, they stand out like a sore thumb. Doesn't put a dent in it but I figure it all helps. Last thing those of us that use it responsibly need is it getting shut down. It is a no longer in use gravel pit, and it sure seems who ever was decommissioning it purposely built berms for shooting to 100 and 200 yards. Along with a pretty cool area for shooting clays. Could just be coincidence but helluva a one if so. Would be a real shame to lose it.

At the range, having just joined one and only a few months into shooting...first day...guys breaking the cease fire rules, no RSO around at the time. SPEAK UP.

In this case, crossing the line to fiddle with their pistols or rifles during a pro longed cease fire.

Myself and another new guy hesitated for 10 seconds mumbling to each other....then I chimed in. Said in a polite but firm voice "No crossing the red line never mind picking up your firearm". He quickly scurried back and apologized. This range has 3000 members so he has no idea if its my first day or 100th day. Which is pretty moot in this case. That seems to be the most common and obvious rule so I knew I was in the right.

There was no one down range at that moment...a guy decided he wanted to put up one more target after we all got back, which everyone said was cool. He was digging it out...taking a bit longer than he probably should. So I guess I could see how the guy thought he'll just show his GF something until the guy walks back out and put it back down again. No dice amigo.

Bottom line is bad habits turn into accidents.

So short version is speak up when you know someone is breaking a safety rule. I'd want it done for me if I was breaking the rule or if I was in a position to be harmed by someone breaking it.

And again not worth losing our access to places to shoot over. Not saying a range accident would lead to a public outcry and shutdown. But why give them any sliver of something?

My 2 cents...which are still pretty shiny being only a few months old as a new guy to the sport. Take them for what they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Risewickb View Post
    Good evening everyone. Been Lurking awhile here learning as much as I can. I have been around firearms since I was a young boy. Hunting and target shooting. Due to life getting in the way and living down south I have been away from the sport that I love.
    Last week I got my pal and rpal and today just picked up my new GSG 1911 22 lr and my M&P 9mm. I am currently on a wait list for a club . Living WAY up north there were no clubs to be a part of. It was go out into the bush and shoot. ( NON RESTRICTED) Everything safe of course.

Aside from the Safety / Range rules. My question is, Is there an unwritten etiquette that the noobs such as myself may be oblivious to? Perhaps advice ?

thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I am currently on a waiting list for one that's local to me. It appears being on a waiting list is the norm of late. I will wait patiently...... Who the hell am i kidding! I'm going nuts!!! I have everything all new and all sitting in my brand new gun safe. I feel like Gollum in Lord of the Rings opening the gun safe to look thinking " My precious..." then with a sigh lock everything back up..