Thread: 1873 .22LR Pietta Peacemaker

1873 .22LR Pietta Peacemaker

I bought this from Marstar in August of last year.

Service was great, they answered my questions and shipped within days.

The Gun has a ten shot cylinder, a great blued finish to it and the parts are very well fitted.

However, with about 100 rounds of .22LR down range, the screws start to loosen and rattle.

Upon multiple shooters at the range, variations in distance of shooting and about 200 more Rounds down range, we've concluded the gun
    Shoots about a foot and a half low at ten yards.

Needless to say, although it is a nice looking gun, I wish I'd paid some more and gotten the Vaquero from my local shop.
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/KenseiSwords

That's brutal, a sling shot is more accurate.
    Practice makes you perfect, it also makes you broke!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mwjones's Avatar
    A little bit of loctite 222 or 243 on those screws should fix that problem. As far as it shooting a foot and a half low, the sights may be set up for .22 mag. I'd suggesd taking down the front sight a little bit at a time til it shoots where you want, then hit it with cold blue.

Quote Originally Posted by mwjones View Post
    A little bit of loctite 222 or 243 on those screws should fix that problem. As far as it shooting a foot and a half low, the sights may be set up for .22 mag. I'd suggesd taking down the front sight a little bit at a time til it shoots where you want, then hit it with cold blue.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That's very good advice.
    You should know that a lot of single action revolver "loosen up" during shooting, that's very common.
    Filing down the front sight is the way to go, just be careful and don't remove too much.

That's Extremely good advice. Thank you.
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/KenseiSwords

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    Yup. Sounds like your front sight is just a bit too tall.

File off a little bit at a time, until the height is in the right place. Then use a dab of cold blue.

The front blade on any 1873 is going to be high IMHO. I've got a Pietta in .357 and none of the screws have backed off after hundreds of .357 mag sent downrange. I you don't want to file the blade down just remember where you have to place it for accuracy.....but as already suggested, I would file it down. There is nothing wrong with the gun. As for the screws........tighten them.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Also check for leading in the bore, might make it shoot off!!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

Either of the 2 John's on CGN, Does Marstar get regular shipments of Pietta revolvers? I really like the look of one of the black powder revolvers but it's out of stock. I've put it on my "Marstar Wishlist" but wonder how long between shipments on them?

Quote Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
    The front blade on any 1873 is going to be high IMHO. I've got a Pietta in .357 and none of the screws have backed off after hundreds of .357 mag sent downrange. I you don't want to file the blade down just remember where you have to place it for accuracy.....but as already suggested, I would file it down. There is nothing wrong with the gun. As for the screws........tighten them.
    I have concluded that back in the 'wild west' days probably the practice was to show a lot of the front sight above the rear notch, i.e., not like today's sight picture which places the top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight. It makes a certain amount of sense that getting off a quick relatively aimed shot at fairly close range would only require the shooter to see the front sight above the rear notch.

I have a Pietta .357 which shoots low if I line up the sights in the usual way we do today. BTW it is one heck of a nice single action revolver.
    arte et marte