Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: non-restricted transport by plane ( 2 questions)

Question non-restricted transport by plane ( 2 questions)

Hey all,

1) just wondering how the whole process of transporting firearms ( non restricted) by plane works and the experiences that you had going through the whole thing, this is important as I will be moving to another province and this will probably be my only way of bringing them to my new home,

2) what other options do I have to get my firearms to my new home ( e.g mailing them to myself or something???)

thanks,
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."

i was talking to westjet today about getting a bow i`m hoping to buy in edmonton home with me, they have specific guidelines to follow about containers, locks and such, aswell as no ammo at all, give them a call, , or what ever airline you use, you will have to have the appropriate license is the first thing though, , and you`ll have to pay for an extra bag, with can be anywhere from 54 to 89 depending on the size, anything longer the 62 inches is on the oversize list and pays the higher fees

I find mail is actually cheaper an and less hassle. Air canada charges you 50 bucks for a rifle case just because... if you have lots of handguns you can cram into one case It would be cheaper... it seems to all depend on who s working the counter. Phone the airline you are using to find out details.

Quote Originally Posted by ian745 View Post
    i was talking to westjet today about getting a bow i`m hoping to buy in edmonton home with me, they have specific guidelines to follow about containers, locks and such, aswell as no ammo at all, give them a call, , or what ever airline you use, you will have to have the appropriate license is the first thing though, , and you`ll have to pay for an extra bag, with can be anywhere from 54 to 89 depending on the size, anything longer the 62 inches is on the oversize list and pays the higher fees
    No ammo? most airlines allow 10kg as long as its packed in proper containers away from the firearms. I've done this many times. just don't buy bulk pack (loose) .22 because it is deemed unsafe to the morons working the x-ray... Guess how I know

Depending on how many guns you have its not bad checking a bag on a plane with a firearm. You state at the counter you need a firearms checking form or w/e the hell its called, its a blue form, sign it and they might xray your bag aside if your in T.O or other major city that was my experience, but if its locked and unloaded your good there is a limit on ammo i believe and requires more forms. Mailing guns is expensive and not worth it if you can just stuff your guns with your clothes in your checked luggage. I travel with a military duffle bag and just took the barrel off my auto 5 and jammed it in there, the girl that xrayed it with me standing there thought the bolt was a round inside i assured her it was the workings of the gun pretty sure it was the first shotgun shed been close to.

So if I wanted I could just throw my gun in a box and send it to the house I would be staying at? Would I be required to document, label it, call rcmp... ect?
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."

Quote Originally Posted by miff View Post
    Depending on how many guns you have its not bad checking a bag on a plane with a firearm. You state at the counter you need a firearms checking form or w/e the hell its called, its a blue form, sign it and they might xray your bag aside if your in T.O or other major city that was my experience, but if its locked and unloaded your good there is a limit on ammo i believe and requires more forms. Mailing guns is expensive and not worth it if you can just stuff your guns with your clothes in your checked luggage. I travel with a military duffle bag and just took the barrel off my auto 5 and jammed it in there, the girl that xrayed it with me standing there thought the bolt was a round inside i assured her it was the workings of the gun pretty sure it was the first shotgun shed been close to.
    But I thought firearms had to be in a gun case all alone?? Or would the luggage bag count as a gun case??

the lady i talked to said it had to be in a secure container, such as a lock hard case designed for firearms transport, as for the ammo, ya, you cant go buy a box at canadian tire and pop in on the plane, has to be in a secure container, that wont burst or crush if anything placed on it, and the ammo inside must be completely secure, ie, no bulk packs at all, and ya, has to be shipped seperate from the firearm,
    now bear in mind, ive never done it, just what she was reading off her list while trying to determine the regs for bows

Quote Originally Posted by little buster View Post
    But I thought firearms had to be in a gun case all alone?? Or would the luggage bag count as a gun case??
    If your luggage can lock its a secure case...I throw a pad lock on the top of my duffle bag and only way to get in without a key is to cut it open. I've completely disasembled my guns and just put the parts in socks and stuff like that throughout the bag with no problems, as long as you do the paper work and make sure you have your PAL etc and are not over the bag weight limit its the best way. No extra bags $$$ and you know your guns are nicely padded and safe withen your clothes. As for ammo if you had your shells in a cardboard box taped to #### inside your luggage shouldnt be a problem, this is like the bare minimum situation but I've done it and made sure at the airport with security and staff it was up to snuff. P.S buy good luggage.

Westjet needs it locked in a hard case. If its overlength, like a rifle case, you may be charged $20 for "oversize". Declare it at checkin, you'll sign a paper, saying its unloaded, safe to transport, and that's it. I can't speak to other airlines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast