Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The scariest/weirdest thing just happened with my application process. please help!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by challenge View Post
    Yes I do think it was very strange that the gentleman identified himself as being from the firearms department and looking for me.
    It is speculation(and possibly a bit pedantic) on my part but I really doubt he identified himself as "From the Firearms Department". He probably said something like a standard introduction police give including his name and the agency he was with and that he was there on behalf of the CFC. All she heard was FIREARMS!!! I'm sure she edited in her head what he actually said and by the sounds of it has a whole dialog going on in her head. Don't let her reaction rub off on you. Like the others said, it is probably just one more hoop. I know how you feel though. Any little hiccup gets the mind racing.

BANNED
    Quote "She was actually quite scared at first because as she put it "the man looked like an FBI agent".

Hummm his name wouldn't be Smith by any chance would it?

Quote Originally Posted by K-Roc View Post
    Random question, is there any way you can see what is on CPIC about you? Do we have a right to see that information? I have passed simple background checks several times for teaching and of course for my pal... however I would still be curious if a "drinking in public" ticket from when I was 19 is on there, I actually talked my way out of that ticket funny enough and was issued a "warning ticket". Moments later, another guy wasn't as lucky and received a heavy handed beating in what basically changed my opinion on police for the rest of my life... anyway... As I understand it, I don't think any of that stuff really goes away fully, I know a friend who got a weapons charge when he was 18, the weapon was literally a pocket knife found on him when they randomly searched him as a squeegee kid, he got the charge dropped easily... he is a successful man now. When he travels to the USA they ask him about his weapons charge every time, even though it was totally dropped it never left his file. Now if you call the police for help in terms of suicide they are recording it and sharing that with the US border guards too. Sad...
    As far as I know, you are able access this information through the Freedom of Information Act.

One cannot simply ask a cop to punch in their name and see what comes up, as I'm pretty sure that would *technically* be a violation of the cop code of ethics for them to do so.

I have researched removal of this information for my particular situation - and am told that CPIC entries will be removed after a certain period of time by the RCMP.
    However, there will remain a record of my arrest at the local police department through which I was arrested.

It is possible to petition that local police force (at least in my case) to have the entry (fingerprints and everything) removed from records.
    The Police Dept. in question would then make a decision as to whether or not to comply with that request.

Again, a certain period of time must pass, and even then - they are not obligated to do so.

If you search through the RCMP website, you are likely to find more concrete answers than I am giving here. I am speaking of my own circumstance - and the rules vary from circumstance to circumstance.

Well, I had my face to face interview with an officer from the Ontario CFO. He came to my home this morning. The interview went on for almost two hours. The officer had done a thorough investigation of my life. Any time I had ever been pulled over in my car, he knew about and had documentation of every single time I've ever come into contact with police. It was a tough interview, I will admit. There are things from my past I had no idea they cared about or considered when evaluating a firearms application.

I am worried I may be denied my Pal/Rpal. He said he would tell me his decision later today after showing my application to his supervisor.

Fingers are crossed and I am very cautiously optimistic.

BANNED
    Damn... First time i ever hear of such an interview it's like worse than if you were a suspect for murder loll
    I really don't see any reasons for that much background check and wondering if you couldn't complain to your MP or someone about this "harassment" case, cause it looks like harassment.
    Hell you're just asking for a license that 100,000 other peoples are asking and they don't get that treatment.

Were you in a famous biker gang before? loll

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kobs View Post
    Damn... First time i ever hear of such an interview it's like worse than if you were a suspect for murder loll
    I really don't see any reasons for that much background check and wondering if you couldn't complain to your MP or someone about this "harassment" case, cause it looks like harassment.
    Hell you're just asking for a license that 100,000 other peoples are asking and they don't get that treatment.

Were you in a famous biker gang before? loll
    I'm surprised you guys have this reaction.

OP said a FEW drug charges.

That's not getting caught with a joint, that sounds more like a lifestyle issue. i.e the drug life.

Oh, no that doesn't deserve a better looking into does it?

Quote Originally Posted by safety first View Post

That's not getting caught with a joint, that sounds more like a lifestyle issue. i.e the drug life.

This guy gets it. You've got a record. Criminal or not you've been identified by the police a few times. Now you want a gun. The social engineering of making guns "bad" is complete. The people now in power feel that guns are bad!. I'm glad they did the interview with you. You should be too. They want to see you, your home, your lifestyle. All they have to go on is paperwork. And since "guns are bad", anyone asking for one is by default 'bad'. Their job is to check that you're the exception. Society & police cannot keep illegal guns out of criminal hands, but we can try and keep legal ones out of criminal hands.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by safety first View Post

This is what the op said "I've had a few drug charges in the last 5 years (not trafficking, and no violent stuff). However I was never convicted, the charges were withdrawn.

That could also mean he was hanging out with the wrong crowd without necessarily being one of them, which could be why the charges were dropped. You could be somewhere when a raid is going down and police will wrap everyone inside without regard and all will be charged of the same crime (been there when i was a minor) and all you can say being pushed into the truck is WTF!!
    Edit: all they found that time was 2 ounces of weed. Someone had called and said there were too many young weird looking peoples going into that appartment

I am not surprised that they investigated as deep as they did. Even though I have no record I am in the system due to a charge in 2007 and one in 2012. The 2012 one was unfortunate because the charge should have gone to someone else. I've been drug-free nearly 5 years.

I have learned this... if you have any run-ins with the law, you will be further investigated, and they look at everything including driving history, finances, health, etc. all of these subjects came up in the interview.

Well, I was denied the license, and told if I re-apply in 2017, I will likely be approved. They want to see 3 years of compliance with the law. Since my last charge was 2 years ago, that would make me a law-abiding citizen for 5 years in 2017, and thus eligible for a firearms license.

So, even though my charge was completely withdrawn in court, and I've never been convicted, it doesn't matter. They go by the simple fact I was charged with something. Guilty or not, doesn't matter.

What's your guys opinion on that? I have mixed feelings about it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast