Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The scariest/weirdest thing just happened with my application process. please help!

The scariest/weirdest thing just happened with my application process. please help!

Ok, its been a while since I have updated the status of my RPAL/PAL application on this forum. But here is a brief background of my application process. Please read on, because something weird happened today and im wondering if this is normal or has happened to anyone else...

So October 2013 I applied for PAL and RPAL. Interviews were all done, including my two references and all went well. But then they did a background search on me and found out that I've had a few drug charges in the last 5 years (not trafficking, and no violent stuff). However I was never convicted, the charges were withdrawn. So the lady on the phone said my firearms application will be investigated further based on the fact that i was charged even though the charges were dropped. She said this takes time and no guarantee i will get the licenses (which almost brought me to tears!). This pisses me off because I thought we live in a country where you are innocent until proven guilty. I was never convicted and the charges were all dropped, so in my opinion they shouldn't use this against me.

Anyway, I will get to the point. I've been waiting for something to happen with my application. The last update they gave me was that my application is currently with the CFO of Ontario. Now here is the weird thing that happened today: I was at work, and at about 2pm a man rings my doorbell. No answer because I was at work. He then rings the side entrance doorbell (which goes to the basement apartment and people live down there. The girl answered her door and the man said "Hi I am from the Canadian Firearms Department, I am looking for David S., Does he live here? She told the man i live upstairs. So he said thank you, and left. Apparently he was well dressed in a suit. He did not leave a card, or anything for me to contact him back with. What should I do? What do you think this was all about? And has this happened to anyone before? No one called me to forewarn me that someone would be coming over to my house, and I don't know what to do at this point. Should I try calling the CFO and explain what happened, or just wait a bit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who has been through this same scenario and had a surprise visitor.

Thanks in advance for some help guys.

-Dave

Call the CFO back you were selected for a face to face my dad had one year's ago when he had to get his PAL.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Call the CFO and ask them what's up. If it's legit maybe you can get it sorted out, and if some guy's running around trying to scam people they should know about it.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

BANNED
    It has never happened to me ; but it sounds like they were doing a follow up interview for your application . It would be best to call the CFOs office for an update on your application.......and mention that your neighbour said someone had been by looking for you.....

Quote Originally Posted by challenge View Post
    Ok, its been a while since I have updated the status of my RPAL/PAL application on this forum. But here is a brief background of my application process. Please read on, because something weird happened today and im wondering if this is normal or has happened to anyone else...

So October 2013 I applied for PAL and RPAL. Interviews were all done, including my two references and all went well. But then they did a background search on me and found out that I've had a few drug charges in the last 5 years (not trafficking, and no violent stuff). However I was never convicted, the charges were withdrawn. So the lady on the phone said my firearms application will be investigated further based on the fact that i was charged even though the charges were dropped. She said this takes time and no guarantee i will get the licenses (which almost brought me to tears!). This pisses me off because I thought we live in a country where you are innocent until proven guilty. I was never convicted and the charges were all dropped, so in my opinion they shouldn't use this against me.

Anyway, I will get to the point. I've been waiting for something to happen with my application. The last update they gave me was that my application is currently with the CFO of Ontario. Now here is the weird thing that happened today: I was at work, and at about 2pm a man rings my doorbell. No answer because I was at work. He then rings the side entrance doorbell (which goes to the basement apartment and people live down there. The girl answered her door and the man said "Hi I am from the Canadian Firearms Department, I am looking for David S., Does he live here? She told the man i live upstairs. So he said thank you, and left. Apparently he was well dressed in a suit. He did not leave a card, or anything for me to contact him back with. What should I do? What do you think this was all about? And has this happened to anyone before? No one called me to forewarn me that someone would be coming over to my house, and I don't know what to do at this point. Should I try calling the CFO and explain what happened, or just wait a bit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who has been through this same scenario and had a surprise visitor.

Thanks in advance for some help guys.

-Dave
    M'kay. I'm going to relate my personal experience to you. Hopefully I don't reveal too much about myself...

I applied for my RPAL in order to take possession of two rifles I had inherited (long ago).
    It had come to the attention of the police that I had those two rifles and was unlicensed.
    They were very nice about it - and came by shortly after coming into that information, that I might 'voluntarily' surrender them until such time that I became licensed.

During my application process (which I began immediately after surrendering them), I was charged with uttering threats.
    So it's a long story, but my application process was delayed until such time as my charges were dealt with (Withdrawn). But that took several months before the charges were withdrawn.

Even though the charge was withdrawn, you're on the radar. There is a CPIC entry for you.

So with that in mind, you may forgive the CFO if he/she is a little reticent to approve your application.

In my case, I waited a real long time (almost two years) before I called the CFO up and asked what the issue was.
    We had some telephone talk time, and shortly thereafter my application was approved.

So I guess the moral of the story is that being known to police will probably make the process somewhat longer, and it's probably a good idea to get some 'face-time' with the CFO.

It's much easier to feel comfortable about making a decision on someone's character when you've actually spoken to them.
    I wish I had done it sooner, myself.

As for actually showing up un announced at your door - I have never heard of such a thing.

But it would seem odd to me that the person identified themselves as from Canadian Firearms Department.
    Truthfully, if that happened to me - I would be questioning the 'privacy' aspect of them identifying you to your neighbours as someone who *may* own firearms.

Wouldn't that be the implication left with your neighbour?
    Last edited by Wretched; 04-15-2014 at 01:32 AM.

That whole 'innocent until proven guilty' thing doesn't last long once you take a closer look at our gun laws...

Long story short, each and every member on these boards, and 2 million others, are automatic federal criminals. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Merely posessing a gun is an automatic criminal charge... Unless we keep paying the government for these shiny little licence cards that say it isn't.

I would empathize if you said, " I was charged with offences I did not commit" where as it appears you where charged but there wasn't enough to pursue a conviction.

And "charged a few times"?

Innocent till proven guilty, yaya let's put that aside.

I think you'll get you Rpal. Do you think you'll deserve it? I'm mean given the evidence of course.

My guess is they actually don't have enough to deny you your PAL, but they are making you jump through extra hoops and wait longer in hopes you will give up. Maybe a face to face for some applications isn't a horrible idea though.

Random question, is there any way you can see what is on CPIC about you? Do we have a right to see that information? I have passed simple background checks several times for teaching and of course for my pal... however I would still be curious if a "drinking in public" ticket from when I was 19 is on there, I actually talked my way out of that ticket funny enough and was issued a "warning ticket". Moments later, another guy wasn't as lucky and received a heavy handed beating in what basically changed my opinion on police for the rest of my life... anyway... As I understand it, I don't think any of that stuff really goes away fully, I know a friend who got a weapons charge when he was 18, the weapon was literally a pocket knife found on him when they randomly searched him as a squeegee kid, he got the charge dropped easily... he is a successful man now. When he travels to the USA they ask him about his weapons charge every time, even though it was totally dropped it never left his file. Now if you call the police for help in terms of suicide they are recording it and sharing that with the US border guards too. Sad...

The scariest/weirdest thing just happened with my application process. please help!

Call the CFO and ask about your status of PAL and that someone came to see you personally. You will find out what they want and also to see if the visit was legit ( probably was ). I think a face to face will get the ball rolling faster for you. Now I don't know your housing situation is but it sounds like you live in a multi unit dwelling. If guy didn't have proper info on which unit or units are not properly marked , I can see how he kept going door to door. But the way that he introduced himself with being with the firearms department or however that came out was unprofessional and not right, and would upset all of us. Should of been, does (insert name here) live here, nope he lives upstairs. Well have a good day m'am. If it were me I'd call not say anything, jump through their hoops do a cart wheel, what ever they ask. Get my application done while eating a sh1t sandwhich and smiling the whole time. And when I get my PAL in my hand, if it was still bothering me I could file a complaint then with the ombudsman on what happened. complaining to the CFO at this point in time in your situation may slow down that ball. Eat your sh1t sandwhich, smile and then see how you feel when it digests.

My .2 cents
    Last edited by Lt John McClane; 04-15-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Thank you all for you replies and input on my situation. Yes I do think it was very strange that the gentleman identified himself as being from the firearms department and looking for me. The lady that lives downstairs now seems a bit weary when I run into her out on the driveway. I had to explain to her that I am not in trouble or anything, and that I am simply applying for a firearms license so that I may go to the shooting range. She was actually quite scared at first because as she put it "the man looked like an FBI agent".

Anyhow, I took your guys' advice and gave the CFO a call and left a polite message. Hopefully everything goes well and they call me back.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast