Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: "Made in China for Marstar 'GI Rifle' in a Synthetic Stock"

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by PPCLIGullyPlatoon View Post
    In actuality, I'd prefer to see Marstar stay in business! They DO carry a HUGE line of product, and John has made this business profitable. I don't have a personal beef with John or Marstar----and it's not illegal to complain about prices, and yes, I have the option to not make the purchase if I deem the price unsatisfactory --- this is the domain of the informed customer.

Personally, the loss of Marstar would be a huge impact on firearms consumers - that's all I am going to say about that.
    Oh, I'm not commenting on, or suggesting that, Marstar's going out of business. Or that they should.

What caught my attention was:

Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    As promised some weeks ago I will no longer post or reply to questions on CGN....

John

Quote Originally Posted by PPCLIGullyPlatoon View Post
    Firstly, I don't recall saying anything about my involvement in international arms trade, nor is this a pissing contest, nor is it an advertisement for a $200 M305, nor did I suggest that I could perform a better negotiation--------

However, what I am inferring is that faulting the strength of the Canadian Dollar is the only issue with the price increase is not true. I don't dispute that 99% of customers are understanding of the prima facie price increase --- I am, however, suggesting that that customer base has seen a linear reduction by the value vs price point argument alone.

I've seen "overpurchases," and "underpurchases" too ---- and I suspect the current market supports the former, not the latter --- depends on what happens in the next little while determines that outcome.

Maybe CIF with PRC manufacturing would have been a better choice ---- don't know, I didn't do the sit down! But, efforts being a "bulldog" with potential customers is better spent with the manufacturers, no? Just a thought, from a customer service point-of-view. Perhaps you disagree??
    Considering on the last batch Marstar was transparent stating that the Chinese were upping the price of thier rifles in 2014 and the new price was going to be around $600 retail....there were no surprises here?
    It's getting a little bit Sunday around here.....

I bought an M305b from Marstar last November when they were still $429.00, I'm satisfied. And it was stated on their website the price was going up to about $600 bucks come 2014. Don't forget the rifle comes with a case valued at $30 and is actually good quality for the range, just not for planes, two 5/20 round mags, that are worth $35.00 bucks a piece, a cleaning kit which it should anyway and a sling that's functional, but nothing to write home about (I don't use it). $429.00 is what we old schoolers call, days gone by.

Oh...I swapped out the factory springs for chrome/silicon springs I ordered from Brownwells in the U.S. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod25172.aspx

and an operating rod spring guide from M14.ca http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_BLACK_ARRROW_ORSG.html
    Last edited by colonel1972; 04-18-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    YES the Canadian dollar is down 11% against its American counterpart....

Obviously you have not dealt much in the international arms arena, since when do we pay in anything but US dollars and Euros....?

Since you appear to have much better pricing than we have if you can offer thes rifles at $200. I will sign a contract today for 25,000 units

Why the increase at the factory ? Rather simple they had not increased the price in many, many years, they claim increased labor and material cost, since they are the only factory making them we had little choice.

As for our clients supportting the new price, 99% seem to understand....

I await your price offer on these rifles, either FOB or CIF your choice....

John
    Put my order in about a week ago. Thank you John, Nuff said....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    I was never impressed with this rifle, even at $400.
    Love the platform, just not China's take on it.
    Last edited by EL34/6L6; 04-18-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

CGN Regular
    Could anyone who has purchased one of these rifles - or preferably someone from Marstar - please provide a detailed description or picture of how the receivers are marked in this latest batch? Are they marked the way the previous batch was without the Norinco logo and "Made In China" markings? How's the quality of the machining?

Thanks in advance!

I just bought one a few days ago,,, I don't know why?... LOL!
    CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Canadian Edition
    Steyr M40-A1
    Ruger 10/45 Lite
    Glock 17

Quote Originally Posted by colonel1972 View Post
    I bought an M305b from Marstar last November when they were still $429.00, I'm satisfied. And it was stated on their website the price was going up to about $600 bucks come 2014. Don't forget the rifle comes with a case valued at $30 and is actually good quality for the range, just not for planes, two 5/20 round mags, that are worth $35.00 bucks a piece, a cleaning kit which it should anyway and a sling that's functional, but nothing to write home about (I don't use it). $429.00 is what we old schoolers call, days gone by.

Oh...I swapped out the factory springs for chrome/silicon springs I ordered from Brownwells in the U.S. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod25172.aspx

and an operating rod spring guide from M14.ca http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_BLACK_ARRROW_ORSG.html
    Thanks for the links,,, spring was out of stock,,, but I bought the operating rod spring guide...
    Steyr M40-A1
    Ruger 10/45 Lite
    Glock 17

Quote Originally Posted by Sh0ckw4v3 View Post
    Could anyone who has purchased one of these rifles - or preferably someone from Marstar - please provide a detailed description or picture of how the receivers are marked in this latest batch? Are they marked the way the previous batch was without the Norinco logo and "Made In China" markings? How's the quality of the machining?

Thanks in advance!
    I got one a week or so back from marstar all mine has is m305 and 7.62mm with the serial # the machining could be better but I don't care I didn't even want the thing when I received it in the mail (apparently they send you the rifle then you pay them) I haven't even taken it out of the bag it comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGunner7.62 View Post
    I got one a week or so back from marstar all mine has is m305 and 7.62mm with the serial # the machining could be better but I don't care I didn't even want the thing when I received it in the mail (apparently they send you the rifle then you pay them) I haven't even taken it out of the bag it comes in.
    Kinda strange they would send you a rifle without you ordering one... LOL!.... just got mine today,, same markings... M305 and 7.62mm.... it does seem to be a little sticky when racking it,,, but it's new and I haven't fired it yet,,, no scratches or dings as common for Norinco... finish on the barrel and metal seems to be a nice quality... Stock is a little plasticy and cheapish feel to it... But not too bad...
    Steyr M40-A1
    Ruger 10/45 Lite
    Glock 17

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast