Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LOOOONG PAL wait time.....

Out of related curiosity. Can someone with a juvenile record be deferred or otherwise rejected trying to get their RPAL?

The search function on these forums seems to be... lacking... i've tried a search before asking here

CGN Regular
    My RPAL application was received by Miramichi on June. 21, 2013. My interviews went well and both of my references were contacted. Fast forward to April. 15, 2014, nearly 10 months later. I decided to call in and bug them. I have a slightly spotty history with Police, but no criminal record. I called in today and to my surprise was transferred to the Officer who was handling my file. We talked about my history for about 20 minutes, in depth, I received my lecture on life and how Firearms ownership in Canada is a privilege, not a right. I was told I now need to hold myself to a higher standard, because he was approving my application. I should have my RPAL in 2 weeks.

So in summary, be more than honest in your application. It asks if you have ever been reported to The Police, I didn't think I had... According to the Officer, even being scooped up outside a house party for drinking in public counts as being reported to the police.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantes Inferno View Post
    My RPAL application was received by Miramichi on June. 21, 2013. My interviews went well and both of my references were contacted. Fast forward to April. 15, 2014, nearly 10 months later. I decided to call in and bug them. I have a slightly spotty history with Police, but no criminal record. I called in today and to my surprise was transferred to the Officer who was handling my file. We talked about my history for about 20 minutes, in depth, I received my lecture on life and how Firearms ownership in Canada is a privilege, not a right. I was told I now need to hold myself to a higher standard, because he was approving my application. I should have my RPAL in 2 weeks.

So in summary, be more than honest in your application. It asks if you have ever been reported to The Police, I didn't think I had... According to the Officer, even being scooped up outside a house party for drinking in public counts as being reported to the police.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the reply, I may be in a similar situation. I got into a little trouble when i was like... 13 or 14? I cant really remember the details because I was young, and that was more than a decade ago. But perhaps there is a hold up at the CFO's office because of the fact. I will try to call in on tuesday, and congrats on your RPAL :D

Mine has been 42 days from the day the CFO received my application and according to the website my license has been issued and mailed. I was a little surprised that they didn't call myself or my wife or any of my references and when I talked to them Wednesday the lady said the card had already been mailed.

I am really surprised that they have approved some R-PALs without the extra control measure of calling you or your references for the interview (or you calling them to speed it up).

I have a long clean and stable record, and I still had to do the phone interview thing, and everyone else in my position I know has had to do the same thing to get their R-PAL, too.

Are you sure you guys aren't just talking about your normal PAL?

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Are you sure you guys aren't just talking about your normal PAL?
    When I mentioned my brothers experience I was talking about a PAL. I said as much.

P.S. On a side note, 15 years ago when I applied for my RPAL none of my references were contacted but things were a little different back then, lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12