Thread: A couple questions from a newcomer.

A couple questions from a newcomer.

Hello all,

I try to read as much as I can before asking questions online so I'm not wasting anyone's time, but I have a few questions that I haven't been able to clear up for myself; both in terms of getting my gun licence and about hunting in Ontario in general. A little background on my situation:

First off, I'm a 23-year-old guy and I completed my Non-Restricted, and Restricted PAL courses as part of a Police Foundations program back in 2011. I've since decided on a career change, but even at the time I didn't bother mailing the forms in to actually get my licence, because I knew that they would go over it all again in training should I be accepted to the force. Also, I had no real interest in firearms or hunting at the time, so I didn't bother with it.

Well now I've developed a real interest in both hunting and guns, and I'm pissed at myself for not mailing those things in. I'm curious if anyone knows, do these forms expire, or can I still mail the slips in (which I have in my possession) from back in 2011? I have two copies of each (restricted and non-restricted).

Also, despite the awesome thread about shortening your PAL application, it still takes months to get; chances are even if I were to mail it in tomorrow - and the proof of completion was still valid - it would take months for me to actually get licensed. What are my options for now in terms of hunting? I've enjoyed the outdoors and have been a fisherman my whole life - but I completed a complete turn-around in regards to hunting at some point last year and I'm incredibly enthusiastic about this new pastime now. I guess I grew up a little and reconciled my love of animals with the appeal of hunting and acquiring my own meat. I know that's nothing new. I would like to start with deer and turkey hunting.

Anyways, my questions:

1. Do you guys think my forms will still be acceptable and worth mailing in?
    2. If I complete a hunting course, can I hunt with a crossbow without a PAL/rPAL in the meantime? Like I said, I really want to get started getting some practical experience. Can I go peg some turkeys or deer with a crossbow?
    3. I know it's a long ways away, but I didn't see much on the newbie/mentor thread about taking someone hunting; usually it's about shooting ranges (which I would LOVE to try as well in the meantime, if anybody is going from Toronto - as I don't drive - I'd love to try to shoot. If anyone could take me shooting I'll gladly pay for gas and food and anything else).
    4. I'm sure a lot of my questions will be answered upon completing the one-day hunting course, but I just don't understand hunting in the most practical sense. I feel like me getting licensed, buying a shotgun and going to look for deer in a camouflaged hoodie is a recipe for disaster. I'd really need to go with someone the first few times. It's also terrifying to think that there might be other people hunting in that same area; I'd be afraid of hitting someone. I also doubt I'd be able to find any animals on my own; it's all quite daunting. I don't mean to imply I'm stupid, just that I know my own limits - and this is all really new to me. If anybody has some resources about the practical basics of going out, finding a deer or turkey, and shooting it in Ontario, I'd love to read it. I figure I have the opportunity to do a lot of reading until I get licensed. I want to be safe, and actually bring some meat home!
    5. Last question: Upon killing a deer, where the hell do I butcher it? I live in an apartment building, in Toronto. Am I expected to carve it up in the field or do most people take it to a butcher and pay to have it dealt with? Same thing with turkeys. I have no idea what I'd do after killing the animal.

Hopefully these aren't particularly stupid questions. And sorry I'm so long-winded.

Cheers,

Lpet

BANNED
    Hi. You know that cops are paid over 90 grand a year?
    1) As long as you have the results of the tests, you only need to send in that, the fee and the application. There's no time limit. If you don't have the test results, the school should. You will have to join a shooting club to shoot restricted firearms. After joining one, you will very likely, eventually, be invited to go hunting.
    2) Yep. No PAL required for hunting. No PAL required for a bow, of any kind, either. You will need to do the Hunter's Safety course and buy the Outdoors Card(a tax only anglers and hunters have to pay). Turkey season starts today, so you won't make this year. It does take some training and practice to hit a target with a cross bow. Not sure if they're legal for turkey either. That'll be covered on the course. I believe there's a specific turkey hunting course too. You do not just go out into the bush and shoot anything. Game animals are smarter than humans and can disappear in the blink of your eye.
    3) Not driving will hamper everything about shooting. Doesn't make it impossible though.
    4) A lot of 'em for sure, but it's called a Hunter's Safety course for as reason. It doesn't teach how or where to hunt. There are lots of books in the TO public library about game habits, habitat and what and how to dress game. Read 'em all to start.
    5) Butchering is usually done by real butcher shops. You arrange for it in advance. Really just asking your local butcher if he'll do it. Lots of butcher shops in the boonies do it every year too. The driving thing will hamper that, but it's not insurmountable. Costs, but it won't get you evicted. Turkeys(and all game) get cleaned(innards removed) in the field. Turkeys don't get butchered. Not as big a deal as cutting up a 200-300 pound deer. Think rubber gloves.
    Know a guy who hit a deer with a buddy's BMW(Yeah. Borrowed the Beemer and hit a deer. Destroyed the windshield.) at Dundas and Mississauga Rd, years ago. Hung it and butchered it in his daddy's garage. Hit a deer with your car and you can keep it after reporting it to the MNR.

Hey man, sorry for the late reply! And thanks a lot for the articulate answer my friend, you've really cleared a lot up for me. Yes, I know cops are paid handsomely.

I'll send my papers in this week for sure and join a shooting club as soon as I can. I'm really sorry to have missed out on this season due to my own laziness, but I'm still excited to get the ball rolling. I'll try to take a hunting and turkey-specific course soon out of interest, and I'll try to have some solid shooting experience by next season. That's an awesome anecdote, by the way, about your friend hitting that deer in the beemer. Damn. I guess I'd need to take any deer I shoot to a butcher, but I'd really much prefer to learn to butcher it myself. Anyways, you've given me a lot to go on and I'll definitely be researching hunting techniques and learning about the animals' habits and such.

Thanks again!

CGN Regular
    Professional butcher training is difficult to find. I've looked.
    Over time you'll eventually meet someone who'll teach you how they do it.
    Research the hell out of any butcher you think of taking your meat to. You'll be lucky to get one kill and after going throug all the steps, you don't want your efforts to be lost at the final stage of the hunt.
    Butchers are like mechanics and lawyers, everyone thinks they have the best, it's a personal fit.
    DO NOT ever take your meat to Dunrobin Meat in Dunrobin.
    And that's all I have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge Monkey View Post
    Professional butcher training is difficult to find.
    lol, how did we ever get along without training . It's not rocket science and if the OP needs help there's always youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    3) Not driving will hamper everything about shooting.
    This...

Not to be rude but you should probably work on getting a car first. Being from Toronto means that you're going to have to drive, a lot, to get to a range. Not only does it hamper everything about shooting, it damn near makes it impossible.