Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DA 556 Range Report Update ... sub MOA Accuracy ?

Smile DA 556 Range Report Update ... sub MOA Accuracy ?

An update on my last range report of my Can Am DA 556 http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...6-Range-Report

Since my last range report I installed a Timney trigger and a Hoque 12.5" handguard.

I cut the front sight off the gasblock and it fits nicely under the new hand guard.

The Timney trigger is an awesome upgrade compared to the stock trigger. I bought the 3 lb model and mine breaks at 3lb 8oz. Very clean break with no creep whatsoever and little overtravel. The reset is very short. Love it!!!

No feeding or other malfunctions since the last report.

I made a few handloads and put a 6x24 power scope on it to see how well this gun might group. I tried some 55g Hornady FMJBT with Varget and with Benchmark. Also some 52g Berger FB Varmint with the same two powders.

All groups were shot at 100 yds and the wind was fairly calm.

The Hornady 55g FMJBT 3 shot groups averaged 1.25" with both powders with the smallest group being 1" and the largest 1.5".

The Berger 52g 3 shot groups averaged .717" with Benchmark and .834" with Varget. Out of 8, 3 shot groups with the Bergers I had one group that a flyer opened up to 1.5 ". Out of the other 7 groups the smallest was .41" and the largest .86".

I am very happy but quite surprised that this rifle at this price point is capable of this kind of accuracy. Looking forward to get out and trying some 3-gun and Tac rifle competitions.

Group photos below.

Fired a quick 10 round mag of Federal Tactical AE233J at the end, and 7 of the ten shots went into 1.46" and 3 shots went wide and opened up the group to 2.636".

Last edited by firlake; 04-26-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Nice grouping on the 52gr Berger but isnt the 25.5gr benchmark exceed max pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by d1ce View Post
    Nice grouping on the 52gr Berger but isnt the 25.5gr benchmark exceed max pressure?
    Nope, their online load data site seems to be down right now but some data sheets I have show max 26.5 g Benchmark for 50 grainers and 25.6g for 55g

CGN frequent flyer
    What kind of hand guard is that? Looks good.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer JR Hartman's Avatar
    that's impressive! their chamber and barell must be pretty good!
    the CGN formerly know as John_in_BC

CGN Regular
    Impressive. Makes me wish I got one. So other than using handloads and the Timney trigger, what is the short list of mods you performed on this rifle to get it here?

Quote Originally Posted by JR Hartman View Post
    that's impressive! their chamber and barell must be pretty good!
    I think the chamber is just a 556 nato and the barrel steel looks like it was salvage from the Titanic. When I bought the gun I cleaned the barrel thoroughly before shooting it and I looked down the bore from the muzzle with a magnifier, with a clean white patch 1/2" down to reflect the light and there were visible small voids in the barrel steel in both the lands and the groves of the barrel.

I guess it must be straight and fairly uniform throughout though to be that accurate. Who needs to spend $600 on a Shillen, Hart, Lilja or Kreiger ultra match barrel.LOL

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Epoxy7's Avatar
    I've seen a spruce up Norinco AR shoot 1 moa 5 round group at 100 using 55pmc bonze 223 ammo. The barrels are hammer forged and capable of decent accuracy. It's good to have AR rifles at this price point that shoot well. The more AR owners the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Lock_Time View Post
    Impressive. Makes me wish I got one. So other than using handloads and the Timney trigger, what is the short list of mods you performed on this rifle to get it here?

Polished the bore with JB polish before the first shots. Free float the barrel with the Houge hand Guard. Torque the barrel nut properly as it was loose when I got the rifle. Timney trigger made a big difference. Berger bullets and 24X scope helped too.

Quote Originally Posted by mpjustin View Post
    What kind of hand guard is that? Looks good.

Hogue 12.5"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast