Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Tapco SKS and mags

Question about Tapco SKS and mags

Just got my toys from the April sale !!
    Thank you guys for prompt service. I do have a question about my SKS which came with Tapco stock mounted on the gun. I tried fitting in the mag and does cannot seem to get into the gun. Reviewing various post on the internet, most folks advise sanding the mag receiver (wooden one) . I would assume that Tapco stock would already be wide enough ?

Can you provide some suggestions or pictures as to what I may need to do. I would prefer to not start sanding away at plastic parts unless I had to.

Thanx a lot in advance

Last edited by jacob.22; 08-10-2014 at 02:16 AM.
    Have you hugged your Pit-Bull today?

^ correct. At least with the Russian one I had, the bolt had to locked open. Plus I had to file my tapco mags a litte bit too.
    Last edited by lakermetal; 04-29-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

For a standard SKS to accept a detachable magazine, the bolt must be open. This is a pain in the ass. You can modify your bolt with a Dremel (or your other favorite grinding tool) so that you can insert and detach a mag with a closed bolt by removing the lowest rail which engages the feed lips. It does not hurt the gun at all, I have performed it on my own rifle with no problems and perfect function. You can search more online, there are threads which have pictures and whatnot. I recommend taking the bolt out of the rifle and trying to stick it into the mag versus running the bolt back thru the mag: you can see the parts which prevent detachable mag insertion pretty easily. Doing the mod is quite easy if you're handy with a grinding tool.

Thanx guys. I did have the bolt open (did some reading before posting)., looks like I ll have to sand it down a bit . Lakermetal, where did you file yours,front or back ?

I sounds like I have same gun. I don't have a problem getting the mag in, just as long as the bolt is pulled 100% back. if its even a little forward it doesn't clip in. Im going to try and find some metal mags too.

Good morning Everyone.

We have seen your posts and thought that we would try out a video response for you. Here is Torfi our Gunsmith explaining the issue and solution!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js9R33LmVvQ

Thanks
    Colin
    websales@theshootingedge.com

CGN Regular
    I have the same issue! I have another tapco mag from earlier production that has some sanded areas to allow it to fit in.

I must have lucked out with mine she's a perfect fit with the bolt locked back thanks tse.
    You can give peace a chance... I'll cover you if it doesn't work out.

Great Video TSE Thanks, very good info from a very good dealer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast