Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Breakin at the The Shooting Edge

CGN frequent flyer hillbillyreefer's Avatar
    $80000 worth of high def video cameras and those are the best pictures of the perp? My 4YO and her IPod shoot better pictures than that.
    Careful, freedom of speech is forbidden.

Karma can be a b!tch.... I would hate having guns taken from me...

I hope the thieves get what's coming to them

CGN Regular
    The fact that someone got in and out with 20 handguns with nothing but a hoodie and a baseball bat tells me you need to seriously rethink your security strategy. The same crook would not have gotten my firearms, the police would have been notified within 10 minutes of the break-in, the dog would have given him a good bite or two *and* I would have high def pics and video of the whole affair. You need a reputable security consultant because the news is advertising how easy it is to break-in to your place of business and get away with it.

It makes me sick to think of where these guns will end up. I really hope this fool (yes I think it's the same fool(s) hitting you twice) gets owned and put before a judge.

Please post all the descriptions and serials as soon as possible. Doing what you can after the fact is critical and time sensitive IMO.
    Member: CCFR, CSSA, NFA

CGN frequent flyer midnightpossum's Avatar
    This is a terrible shame…. guns in the hands of very bad people… I hope they get caught and have the book thrown at them.
    No retreat,No surrender

CGN frequent flyer
    ...been to your ranges with my son when i visit him in calgary...and bought some gear a time or two too...terribly sorry for the violation and inconvenience...hope you get back up and running soon...
    Reloading isn't a hobby, it's a religion!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQMAT View Post
    Might want to get one of these:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rViuWdI_uXw

scarrryyyyy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by taprack9 View Post
    Thats terrible! I was just there yesterday. Hope you track the guys down JR.
    At 00:30 hours?... Lol!
    CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Canadian Edition
    Steyr M40-A1
    Ruger 10/45 Lite
    Glock 17

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    Sir,

Just because you cannot see the differences does not mean they don't exist.

We were also supposed to have constant patrols from the guard company that also, did not happen.

There are a lot of fingers to point here and they are. I still feel confident that if the systems worked as paid for, the conversation would be different.

Unfortunately they did not.

JR
    Your windows had nothing in or over them to prevent a break in. Your glass display cases show nothing to prevent theft.

Your establishment was hit two weeks ago and compromised. That's unfortunate. In wake of that you state that you've ordered upgrades, that's fine. But those upgrades were not to arrive for another two weeks leaving your facility compromised. Why were the firearms still on display when staff are gone? Why was there no night watch posted until upgrades could be made? Random patrols? Really? We're not talking about a corporate office with documents here; but a store with as much advertisement as it can get that it houses FIREARMS. That's like dropping a "Nukes R' US" Store in the middle east and putting a "back in 15 minutes" sign on the front door.

The guns really should not have been on display after hours until those steel screens were installed; you must know this. Even if it meant paying an extra hour a day for an employ to take them out and put them in a safe and back again. Or a Simple cable that you thread through the firearms and secure them to a steel plate under the display case. I see a bat not bolt cutters in that individuals hands. Your response "if the systems worked as paid for," is moot. The system was broken with application of force; not knowledge or proper tooling. If he had brought tooling into the mix, then the system becomes the moot point; defeating a system is not an automatic assumption that it's a poor system.

Returning to the point of putting them away at night; you're already paying staff to clean the guns, wipe em down with a rag every day so that dust doesn't pile up on them and buyers are more apt to see that beautiful new shine and wet themselves in want. You could easily have an individual move all those firearms to a safe with only an extra hour a day. At $20/hr this would mean you'd spend an extra $7,300 a year. What does one of those smoke machines cost? Even if it were only $1k per unit, you'd still be loosing. Machines degrade in capability over time; testing them has costs, and eventually criminals figure out what these things are. Right now they play on the physiological "what the hell is happening!?" Just like loud alarms did. Do you trust just a loud speaker blaring "The cops are coming!" over and over as being enough? Of course not. Pay staff to put them away, they get a wipe down for prints from tire kickers ((more for the finish than anything else :P)) and dust so that the next kicker gets to ooh and aww his reflection in that steel.
    Because Safes don't "wear out", tests are very cheap ((can you open it with out the code? No? Moving on)), and your average burglar is neither educated nor equipped to make them fail.

And try not to take these comments too personal. I am speaking of the security; and it's lacking greatly. The proof of that is two events inside a two week period. The store can't escape that. Stop spending money on fancy systems and start spending it on proven methods. If the next guy rolls a tank through the wall, then there was nothing you could had legally done to prevent it.

Also, don't call me Sir. I work for a livin'.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
    $80000 worth of high def video cameras and those are the best pictures of the perp? My 4YO and her IPod shoot better pictures than that.
    CCTV is a joke. They're more prevention than anything else. People have learned how to fault Cameras easily. Here the individual did it with a simple hoodie. There was a guy who has yet to be caught going from bank to bank stealing just the teller cash and leaving with out big fuss. They still couldn't ID the guy all because he wore a hat with a long bill and pulled it down over his face. Cameras can only do so much.

Part of the problem with the CCTV's in this instance is they're all placed high angle. This makes them plainly obvious to people who walk in that they're there; which IS the primary point of them. Now one reason why most do not low mount them is because they're easily knocked down and damaged. I just wished more would bite the bullet to low mount so that CCTV systems are not so easily defeated with a hoodie or ball cap. Reality is destroying the camera does nothing but stop it from recording more all the images are stored on a server hidden away in a locked room somewhere; but if it can catch a glimpse of the individual before lights out it goes a LONG way to helping Police track down possibilities. I think people put far too much faith into CCTV's, in the end they usually have the same faults; too costly to cover everywhere, never get the right angles, or easily defeated with simple clothing choices.

Very unfortunate for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is more bad press for law abiding restricted gun owners.
    Why the hell are those guns just sitting under glass waiting to be picked off? How long would it take a few employees to pack those into a vault at days end?
    You would think after several thefts (2 weeks apart? Really?!?) the people at The Shooting Edge might learn a thing or two, and start taking their responsibility for public safety a bit more seriously.
    Last edited by Backpack; 05-26-2014 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling

^^^^^^^^^totally agree^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. at my old gun club in the 1990s, the owner had a huge safe and all handguns were locked up at night.