Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scorpio PA-01 Marine Shotgun 12GA

Quote Originally Posted by hunterhenderson View Post
    There are litterally hundreds of Turkish Manf of firearms, research which ones build for the majors, those ones will be very good, others maybe not so good, be cautious if you dont know who they are, try handle them before u buy
    Very good point. There are as others have stated, extreme value in shotguns made in Turkey when you pick the right one. While living in the UK and doing some sporting clays at various clubs, every third person was carrying a Turkish made over/under. Reasonable price, good quality, and dealers were quick to honour any warranty claims that arose.

CGN Regular
    So this thing seems to be an 870 clone (judging only from the pictures I can see online - similar safety & trigger, mount for the stock, and the fore-end tube arms). Can anybody confirm this?

Are these Remington clones... But with aluminum receivers???

If so I know what I'm buying next (yes, a Scorpio.)

CGN Regular
    From Wanstalls' website:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanstalls
    Scorpio's tactical compact pump action shotgun is ideal for use as an entry firearm or as a companion around the boat, cabin, or truck. Rugged construction with a familiar Remington-style action makes for a smooth, hard working firearm with common controls. Includes breacher muzzle brake/choke.
    Emphasis added by me. So yeah, some googling turns up it's a Remington... Most likely an 870.

CGN frequent flyer
    I had a Hatsan MP pump, intending to use it as a slug gun.
    Nicely built...great sights.
    Found it not super accurate, even at 25 yards. Would have liked to try it with a longer barrel but couldn't find one for sale.
    Replaced it with an 88 field combo...more suited to my needs.
    But the Turks build nice shotguns I think.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Astute Observer View Post
    From Wanstalls' website:
    Scorpio's tactical compact pump action shotgun is ideal for use as an entry firearm or as a companion around the boat, cabin, or truck. Rugged construction with a familiar Remington-style action makes for a smooth, hard working firearm with common controls. Includes breacher muzzle brake/choke.
    Emphasis added by me. So yeah, some googling turns up it's a Remington... Most likely an 870.
    I have to update this:

I ordered one of the Scorpion PA-01 shotguns. It arrived, but it wasn't what I expected. So I took advantage of Wanstall's great return policy. I expected a 'Remington action', but it wasn't exactly a Remington action. You couldn't replace the bolt carrier or forend - they're not the same. In fact, there isn't even a forend tube - it's one molded piece of plastic that runs along the magazine, rather than a plastic forend around a forend tube. So forget any aftermarket Remington stock / forend on the thing, it can't happen. A Remington bolt won't fit into the receiver, and a Remington 870 forend tube won't carry the bolt regardless.

It's too bad - I had a Boyd's wood laminate pepper stock and forend for a Remington 870 that I wanted to put on it. With the finish of that shotgun it would have perfectly matched a Ruger Gunsite Scout.

Anyways... The good part of the review here is that the service from Wanstalls' was awesome. Their satisfaction guarantee on their webpage is rock solid, I have done business with Wanstalls' twice before this transaction, and with their help returning the item, I'll definitely continue to do business with them. Highly recommended.

From Wanstalls' website FAQs:
    If you are not satisfied with a product for any reason we will provide a refund or exchange the item within 60 days of purchase.
    Yep. That's piece of mind.

Thanks for the info, can you speak to the build quality and overall feeling of quality or lack there of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Astute Observer View Post
    I have to update this:

I ordered one of the Scorpion PA-01 shotguns. It arrived, but it wasn't what I expected. So I took advantage of Wanstall's great return policy. I expected a 'Remington action', but it wasn't exactly a Remington action. You couldn't replace the bolt carrier or forend - they're not the same. In fact, there isn't even a forend tube - it's one molded piece of plastic that runs along the magazine, rather than a plastic forend around a forend tube. So forget any aftermarket Remington stock / forend on the thing, it can't happen. A Remington bolt won't fit into the receiver, and a Remington 870 forend tube won't carry the bolt regardless.

It's too bad - I had a Boyd's wood laminate pepper stock and forend for a Remington 870 that I wanted to put on it. With the finish of that shotgun it would have perfectly matched a Ruger Gunsite Scout.

Anyways... The good part of the review here is that the service from Wanstalls' was awesome. Their satisfaction guarantee on their webpage is rock solid, I have done business with Wanstalls' twice before this transaction, and with their help returning the item, I'll definitely continue to do business with them. Highly recommended.

From Wanstalls' website FAQs:

Yep. That's piece of mind.

CGN Regular
    Well - you get what you pay for. But the Norincos seem to be a better deal for a similar price. I found the Norinco 12.5" shotguns to be a lot more solid. But the action on the PA-01 seemed pretty smooth - smoother than a Norinco. I didn't cycle any rounds (didn't fire it at all), I only stripped it, saw it was incompatible, and sent it back.

The receiver seemed strong enough, and the barrel too. But the mag tube seemed really thin.

The stock was hollow and thin plastic - It was a lot thinner than the Norinco stocks, which are pretty damn solid in comparison. I wasn't that impressed with it. I don't know if you could replace the stock - I know the foreend is unique so you're stuck with that one. But I never tried to take off the stock.

Cheers!

Sounds alot like the armed gladiator I bought. Sure looks and sounds the same.

With mine I was concerned with ejection issues as dry cycling the round would drop back onto the lifter. But after running 30 rounds through it it was not a issue at all.

Quality was better than I expected and at 5.5lbs... The lightest 12g I have yet found. Would not hesitate to buy another one.

Only issue I had noticed was the barrel plating (nickel I think) worked it's way out of the inside of the barrel. Nothing a good cleaning with wire brush couldn't fix. Rest was good.

Bit of a hijack but this one looks near identical to mine. Oh yea, have yet to find a stock that matches up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast