Thread: Zulu spears for sale

Zulu spears for sale

Sorting out my collection and these two have to go. Two very old bladed Zulu spears, they were acquired from the Talana Museum, Dundee, South Africa in 2006. These are very old but in great condition, length is 37 and 41 inches, blades are 11.5 and 13.5 inches. $1,500.00 the pair, private sale so no tax.

PS. Non restricted

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Nice.
    Are you familiar with the construction? I'm curious how they joined the blade with the shaft.
    I think one day I will get a nice strong forged spear head and make one. The Zulu's were fierce.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    Nice.
    Are you familiar with the construction? I'm curious how they joined the blade with the shaft.
    I think one day I will get a nice strong forged spear head and make one. The Zulu's were fierce.
    Zulu spears were made by first burning a hole in the shaft with a hot piece of steel. A glue made from a resin mixture was poured in this hole and then the spear blade shank inserted. Then the haft were the spear shank was inserted was bound with strips of Lila palm. Sometimes a wire binding was added although was often dome at a later date for decorative purposes or a freshly skinned cow's tail was pulled on and allowed to dry in the sun, this was your originally "shrink wrap". I have over eighty spears in my collection, the vast majority Zulu and I think every one is as solid and tight as when it was made. In other parts of Africa more traditional socket head spears were manufacture notable by the Maasai and in the Sudan.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mr. Friendly's Avatar
    they are beautiful. alas...no $1500.
    power corrupts, but absolute power is kinda cool!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    Zulu spears were made by first burning a hole in the shaft with a hot piece of steel. A glue made from a resin mixture was poured in this hole and then the spear blade shank inserted. Then the haft were the spear shank was inserted was bound with strips of Lila palm. Sometimes a wire binding was added although was often dome at a later date for decorative purposes or a freshly skinned cow's tail was pulled on and allowed to dry in the sun, this was your originally "shrink wrap". I have over eighty spears in my collection, the vast majority Zulu and I think every one is as solid and tight as when it was made. In other parts of Africa more traditional socket head spears were manufacture notable by the Maasai and in the Sudan.
    Thanks for the education John!

Wow! thanks for sharing John

Shorter one is restricted due to length.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodb View Post
    No, it's actually NR because it was manufactured in that length, as opposed to being sawed-off after the fact.

(I'm gonna look dumb if I'm misremembering the laws regarding SBSs).
    NFA Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mr. Friendly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zerodb View Post
    and you want to know what the sad thing is? you could probably carry that around with you downtown Vancouver, people would blink, then either ignore you or ask you about what it is and where it came from. they wouldn't think of it as a dangerous weapon.

I can't tell you the # of times I've seen people on Translink carrying sheathed and unsheathed swords and nobody cared. <_<
    power corrupts, but absolute power is kinda cool!