Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 81820212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Wanstalls Exclusive Chiappa Alaskan Scout 12" -- Limited Run

Wow, that would make one hell of a "GET OFF MAH FARM I AIN'T GONNA TELL YOU AGAIN!" Gun.

In all seriousness, I'm not a hunter or lever action guy, but this makes me want to be!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer buzzmagoo's Avatar
    Oman they are for sure sweet! Just loving mine there are two on EE last time I looked. Ammo is a little hard to find but not impossible. Treat your self you deserve one!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar
    Yet another expedition with my Trapper takedown. This time she came with me deep into the Rocky mountain wildlands, from the deepest river valley to the top peak of the mountain we ended up camping on, loaded the whole time with full tube, one in the chamber, hammer at half cock. As much as even I like to get in on laughing at a good bear defense thread and the ridiculous stuff that goes with them, this time it was quite comforting to have the rifle with me, along with my buddy who had his 30-06. Came across a very cautious mama Grizz, and her two cubs. She watched us like a hawk, so we stayed way the hell away to avoid confrontation. We also spooked a herd of almost 70 elk, ran across a cow moose, and nearly walked into countless deer. Probably had more experience with large game in 72 hours in the Rockies than I have in 25 years in the Ontario bush.

I love this little rifle, it has a niche purpose, but if you backpack a lot, this gun fits in a standard backpack taken down for transport, which I have done a few times in places that allow rifles but tend to have a lot of city camping folk around, or carries very easily in one hand when right out in the wildlands. Dead nuts reliable, and plenty accurate enough to 300 yards. It took a hell of a beating down a steep mountain cliff, along with me and my 70lb pack after getting jammed into an area where I could not back, and the only way was down a very steep embankment (read cliff), so I did my best lone survivor impression and took a little tumble a good 15' down with gear and rifle, landing hard on my rifle and gear on rocks, (It was steep and very soft ground, my neck and back are still sore... ouch.) other than minor cosmetic scuffs she still shoots 100%. Most of the dust cleaned right off, but she has a few dings in the wood, as can be expected when a 175lb guy and his 70lb pack use the rifle as a cushion on the fall onto boulders.

I only hope other owners are getting as much use of theirs as I am of mine. It is not a cheap gun, but it is well built and made for a life of hard use, and I intend to use it as it was designed.

Doing some mid range mountain "target of opportunity" shooting.

Mama grizz was keeping a very close eye on us. We kept our distance... as nice as it is to have a heavy hitting rifle, I have no intentions of using it outside of hunting season. Let the happy family do their thing, and we just watch and enjoy.

After my "Lone survivor" impression.

Final opinions of a guy who has owned this gun a while? Awesome mountain rifle for shorter range work. Rust proofing could be improved, as small amounts of minor surface rust can develop if unmaintained for a while, but I'd buy it again if I had the choice, and it will be a regular companion for me with this kind of camping expedition. Durable and reliable rifle.
    Last edited by Kevin M.; 05-19-2015 at 02:43 AM.
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

Expried Business Member
    And they were able to add a few New models on our last shipment : http://www.wanstallsonline.com/chiap...ts-.44mag.html

Gary

Kevin, always nice to see someone out in the real work with a firearm not afraid to put a couple dings into it. Collections of nothing but pristine safe queens are lame.

Quote Originally Posted by WanstallsOnline View Post
    And they were able to add a few New models on our last shipment : http://www.wanstallsonline.com/chiap...ts-.44mag.html

Gary
    Have you checked the finish on this batch?
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Expried Business Member
    Brand new finish on these, looks smooth and very deep in it's penetration...

Thank you very much for the quick response...I had to send mine back last time and it made me very sad. I felt that these were beautifully built rifles minus that. Too bad the price went up. :-(

Honor the old price for me??? :-)
    PM if yes and ill pick one up right this minute. :-)
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar
    Any chance a guy can get his hands on those new peep sights? The ladder sight that came in the first batch isnt really my style.
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
    Yet another expedition with my Trapper takedown. This time she came with me deep into the Rocky mountain wildlands, from the deepest river valley to the top peak of the mountain we ended up camping on, loaded the whole time with full tube, one in the chamber, hammer at half cock. As much as even I like to get in on laughing at a good bear defense thread and the ridiculous stuff that goes with them, this time it was quite comforting to have the rifle with me, along with my buddy who had his 30-06. Came across a very cautious mama Grizz, and her two cubs. She watched us like a hawk, so we stayed way the hell away to avoid confrontation. We also spooked a herd of almost 70 elk, ran across a cow moose, and nearly walked into countless deer. Probably had more experience with large game in 72 hours in the Rockies than I have in 25 years in the Ontario bush.

I love this little rifle, it has a niche purpose, but if you backpack a lot, this gun fits in a standard backpack taken down for transport, which I have done a few times in places that allow rifles but tend to have a lot of city camping folk around, or carries very easily in one hand when right out in the wildlands. Dead nuts reliable, and plenty accurate enough to 300 yards. It took a hell of a beating down a steep mountain cliff, along with me and my 70lb pack after getting jammed into an area where I could not back, and the only way was down a very steep embankment (read cliff), so I did my best lone survivor impression and took a little tumble a good 15' down with gear and rifle, landing hard on my rifle and gear on rocks, (It was steep and very soft ground, my neck and back are still sore... ouch.) other than minor cosmetic scuffs she still shoots 100%. Most of the dust cleaned right off, but she has a few dings in the wood, as can be expected when a 175lb guy and his 70lb pack use the rifle as a cushion on the fall onto boulders.

I only hope other owners are getting as much use of theirs as I am of mine. It is not a cheap gun, but it is well built and made for a life of hard use, and I intend to use it as it was designed.

Doing some mid range mountain "target of opportunity" shooting.

Mama grizz was keeping a very close eye on us. We kept our distance... as nice as it is to have a heavy hitting rifle, I have no intentions of using it outside of hunting season. Let the happy family do their thing, and we just watch and enjoy.

After my "Lone survivor" impression.

Final opinions of a guy who has owned this gun a while? Awesome mountain rifle for shorter range work. Rust proofing could be improved, as small amounts of minor surface rust can develop if unmaintained for a while, but I'd buy it again if I had the choice, and it will be a regular companion for me with this kind of camping expedition. Durable and reliable rifle.
    looks like an awesome time.