Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LCW 7.62x39 HP for hunting?

CGN Regular

LCW 7.62x39 HP for hunting?

Hey all. Just wanted to seek any opinions about using this round for hunting purposes. I know people use the SP rounds for hunting and from what I've heard, the HP has similar characteristics (of course not the same but definitely not like using FMJ).

Any ideas?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer AB.boy's Avatar
    I think the question is will the bullet stay together or just fragment. Their was a thread asking if anyone had tested it to see if it expands or just fragments, not sure if anyone actually tried it yet.

Found it: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...xpansion-tests

CGN Regular
    I shot a few of these into a clay bank as well as some soft points, the hollow point had little to no expansion where as the soft point atleast mushroomed. But also this isn't quite the most scientific test.

Hello i did alot of research last year and had success useing the 762x39 as for hollow points i did not see any promising test.
    i used a s&b soft point and it dropped my buck under 20 yards.
    if your looking for extra devastation go with hornady.
    i did test with s&b soft points on five gallon buckets (i know its not flesh) and found the jackets would peel back nice but would seprate from the lead and the lead just kept going.
    i saved alot more meat using s&b 762x39 over a s&b 726x54 on deer lol

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk73 View Post
    I shot a few of these into a clay bank as well as some soft points, the hollow point had little to no expansion where as the soft point atleast mushroomed. But also this isn't quite the most scientific test.
    oh. That ain't so good for hunting.

CGN Regular
    I shot a mule deer and a coyote with SP. Both punched clean holes and gave a run-and-die without much expansion. Trust the cartridge, though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The FMJ's and HP's are both lead core so the HP could be enlarged/enhanced and the nose nipped off the FMJ to expose the lead .They do expand like a SP after that.Don't remove too much to prevent jacket slippage and a barrel obstruction. Harold

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I was able to get 7.62x39 dies. But I'm not having much luck finding new brass and .311 bullets? Sierra has a good section in their reloading data manual. I want the .311 bullets as that is what my CZ 527 barrel is. The S+B brass has to be power swagged to clean out the primer pockets and the overall length is quite long. So lots of trimming!!! So the S+B brass is unuseable. Any ideas???

Quote Originally Posted by GUB View Post
    I was able to get 7.62x39 dies. But I'm not having much luck finding new brass and .311 bullets? Sierra has a good section in their reloading data manual. I want the .311 bullets as that is what my CZ 527 barrel is. The S+B brass has to be power swagged to clean out the primer pockets and the overall length is quite long. So lots of trimming!!! So the S+B brass is unuseable. Any ideas???
    Budget Shooter supplies has brass and bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Tenguns View Post
    Budget Shooter supplies has brass and bullets
    Bullets are washed and only good for reduced velocity last I checked the site.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast