Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: XCR-L break-in and recoil buffer damage?

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_r View Post
    So I just purchased a XCR keymod version. There is a spare parts kit available for this according to this thread?? Id like to buy one and throw it in my coyote hunting kit. Is this available as an online purchase or do I need to call the store?

Cheers!!
    The parts kits for the keymod ones are not yet available. We hope to have that rectified very soon. Keep watching our website and they will be there as soon as we get them. If you're nice we might even let you folks know in here
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydam View Post
    Heavy barrel. I did the barrel break-in slow. 1 round, 3 rounds, 5 rounds, 7 rounds, then 10, 10, 10. Cleaning in between, and oiling. After that I shot 100 rounds over about 20 minutes, and put it on the rack for a couple hours while I worked on another rifle. Later I put another 250-400 rounds through it before it reached the heat levels I mentioned. Towards the end I know I was pushing it. I used a magloader on 4 LAR mags (2 doubles) and that takes a minute to load or less, maybe. 40 rounds. And spend about 5 minutes shooting them. Not doing mag dumps but trying to place shots with a hot barrel.

Is the XCR-L capable of surviving the "1000 round torture test"?
    It's not hot enough to cook off until you can actually see the barrel glowing red or possibly white. The XCR-L is more than capable of surviving the 1000 round torture test. As we have stated many times, as long as these rifles are properly maintained and probably lubricated they will run and run and run. After all the initial intent of these rifles wasn't for the civilian market.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

I am considering getting a light barreled XCR-L keymod version. On the manufacturer's site they say that the "standard" 18.5 barrels are chrome lined. Mr. Wolverine, could you please confirm that the light barrels are also lined with chrome?

Great thread, it's sealing the deal on me getting a new model.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Wolverine View Post
    The parts kits for the keymod ones are not yet available. We hope to have that rectified very soon. Keep watching our website and they will be there as soon as we get them. If you're nice we might even let you folks know in here
    So glad i didnt order a parts kit with my dlask adapter. Dodged a bullet there. When the keymod kits are available ill pick one up.
    NFA member

I purchased a Keymod model in 762x39 with the light weight barrel. It feels really well balanced and points well. I have performed the break in procedure as stated in the owner's manual. The gas valve is now set on 1 but I do not notice any reduction in felt recoil, is that normal? It cycles fine and ejection is fairly consistent.
    Overall I must say I am very happy with this rifle. The magazine issues associated with this caliber are a little disappointing but the rifle is a blast to shoot and I have had no rifle related failures.
    I think I will mount an optic, maybe a 1-4 with an illuminated reticle and play with it in 3gun or CQB. Eventually I would like to get the caliber conversion for 223 as well.
    Member of CSSA,IPSC, ORA, NFA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"The gas valve is now set on 1 but I do not notice any reduction in felt recoil, is that normal?"

You won't feel much difference in recoil, but the rifle should feel smoother. Especially the trigger.
    If you're in doubt, adjust from 1 to 4, then back again. You'll feel a difference.

Most mag issues will break in with use. I've got 14 mags, number 8 is a douche. I can fire 7 or 8 rounds, then rounds 9 and 10, sometimes 7, nose dive and the bolt passes over.
    It use to be mags 8, 9, &10, but the others are fixed. They were of the same batch, bought back in June (iirc) this year. I'm thinking it's the shape of the top spring coil, against the follower. I've been tweaking them a little and fixed 9 & 10.

I haven't had any problems with the other mags, they feed 100%.

Add to stay on thread topic, at 11000 rounds I'm still using the original recoil buffer. I bought 3 spare, I don't think I'll need 'em.
    Last edited by 9x19p; 08-23-2014 at 08:30 AM.

those who have keymod with the light weight barrel: is it chrome-lined?

I thought all xcr barrels were chrome lined. Contact wolverine they will know

To add to this topic. Im just over 700 rounds more now and factory buffer still looks new. I think the people chewing up buffers are running their gas too high
    NFA member

Lots of great information here and for that I thank John and Brent.

My question last question is......
    What is the recommended barrel break in procedure ?

Lots of information out on the web however I'm looking for the correct way from the pros.

Thanks
    Bod
    "oh bother...." said Pooh, as he chambered another round

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast