Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: XCR-L break-in and recoil buffer damage?

BANNED

XCR-L break-in and recoil buffer damage?

I'm about to break-in my new XCR-L (buffer is on lower not on BCG, 2013 model) and read up on the break-in procedure.

1) Does it matter if I use Norinco 5.56NATO for the break-in? I have M855 and M193 and AE55gr and others, but would prefer to use up this stuff first.

2) Gas setting #4 during break in, I read this gas setting is incredibly hard on the receiver parts, especially the recoil buffer. While I only found one occurrence of the recoil buffer getting chewed, should I let it get chewed until it flings empty cases 10 feet or more on gas setting 1? Obviously stop using if it is chewed, which I intend to keep an eye on during this period.

3) I read I can improve and speed-up the break-in procedure by polishing (I have some arkansas stones) the bottom of the carrier that rubs the top round of the mag before feeding that round. Will this void our warranty?

4) Can we order 1 spare recoil buffer alone or do we have to order the parts kit?

5) Any other tips or suggestions for new XCR-L owners?

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    The Norinco ammo is fine for break in. Under no circumstances use the Winchester white box in these rifles. It seems to have way to soft a primer and there have been disconcerting amount of out of battery detonations using this ammo.

The best way to break these in is to turn your gas setting down as low as you can and still have the rifle cycle properly, then once you have put a few hundred rounds through it, turn it down more if you possibly can while keeping the cycling in mind.

Any personal modifications to the rifle can potentially void your warranty. Spare buffers are available, but if you are running your gas system at the lowest setting possible that buffer should last you a long time.

LUBE, LUBE, LUBE. These rifles like to be run wet. We see far too many rifles that have so little lubrication on them it isn't even funny. These guns, like most battle rifle, like to be run wet. Also keep checking the grub screw that holds your gas block on to make sure it isn't loosened up causing cycling issues. Also make sure your barrel retention bolt is torqued down to 250 INCH POUNDS to give you the best results out of your rifle. Proper lubrication and proper maintenance go a long way to making sure you have a long and happy experience with your rifle.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydam View Post
    I'm about to break-in my new XCR-L (buffer is on lower not on BCG, 2013 model) and read up on the break-in procedure.

1) Does it matter if I use Norinco 5.56NATO for the break-in? I have M855 and M193 and AE55gr and others, but would prefer to use up this stuff first.

2) Gas setting #4 during break in, I read this gas setting is incredibly hard on the receiver parts, especially the recoil buffer. While I only found one occurrence of the recoil buffer getting chewed, should I let it get chewed until it flings empty cases 10 feet or more on gas setting 1? Obviously stop using if it is chewed, which I intend to keep an eye on during this period.

3) I read I can improve and speed-up the break-in procedure by polishing (I have some arkansas stones) the bottom of the carrier that rubs the top round of the mag before feeding that round. Will this void our warranty?

4) Can we order 1 spare recoil buffer alone or do we have to order the parts kit?

5) Any other tips or suggestions for new XCR-L owners?
    1. The Norinco 5.56 will work well for break in. Your rifle has a floating firing pin, as with all SA rifles with floating fire pins ammo with hard primers is preferred.

2. Do not start with setting four. Start with the smallest gas setting and increase until the rifle operates reliably. The maximum setting only "hammers" the gun unnecessarily.

3. I would only use fine wire wool and oil to polish. Warranty would only be void (my decision) if polishing was excessive. Use common sense.

4. Yes you can order spare buffers.

5. Oil the action, you can not use to much. Don't pour it down the barrel but use plenty of oil. The barrel retaining bolt should be torqued to 250 inch lbs, (not foot lbs!!) if you don't have a torque wrench 250 inch lbs it about as hard as you can tighten by hand with a standard 3 inch hex key wrench.

Most of the problem XCR rifles that are returned to us have loose barrel retention bolts and are dry. In fact most people operate their M15 to dry. Liberal use of oil will improve reliability and extend the life of moving parts.

Any problems just send me an e-mail: John@wolverinesupplies.com

Now I see Grumpy types faster than me! So here have two replies typed completely independently but I think we are saying the same.

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    In all fairness now, this is why Mr. Wolverine types slower.

If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Wolverine View Post
    In all fairness now, this is why Mr. Wolverine types slower.
    lol

^^
    I can see how that may slow you down.

I'm curious, what oil does Wolverine recommend?
    9,600 rounds ago, I bought a small can of G96. I still have 1/3 can. Is that considered dry?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    1. The Norinco 5.56 will work well for break in. Your rifle has a floating firing pin, as with all SA rifles with floating fire pins ammo with hard primers is preferred.
    Are you thinking of the XCR-L or another rifle? I bought an XCR-L in 2013 and the firing pin is definitely sprung.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster1a2 View Post
    Are you thinking of the XCR-L or another rifle? I bought an XCR-L in 2013 and the firing pin is definitely sprung.
    You are correct the firing pin is sprung. These "AK" inertia type firing pins are in the bolt body, this type of pin may be sprung or not. This is different to a fixed firing pin that is attached to the carrier rather than the bolt. Floating firing pins, sprung or not, have been attributed to causing premature ignition when ammo with soft or high primers are used. We have seen this happen occasionally in the XCR, as the bolt is not locked the carrier is driven back shearing off or damaging the bolt cam and normally jamming the action. This is why we have the new type of bolt system in the latest XCR-L rifles.

Mr. Wolverine, aside from the recoil buffers, is there anything in the spare part's kits that wouldn't work in one of the new style XCR-L's?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast