Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Preventing dangerous people from obtaining a PAL

Preventing dangerous people from obtaining a PAL

Hi guys

I have a somewhat interesting situation. Someone I know of has applied for a PAL, and will most likely get it. I have known this person for a long time and have learned that they have a substance problem which leads to aggression, verbal abuse and physical threats. Although I have never seen this person actually get into a physical confrontation, I'm sure this person would not hesitate due to their large physical size, basically your typical bully, who has physically threatened me in the past.

I myself am a PAL/RPAL holder, but I don't believe this person should be. What can I do? What will be the impact? Keep it in the family and silently take away every gun he buys? get the RCMP involved and put an end to it once and for all? My interest is keeping people that matter to me safe, as well as myself next time a confrontation takes place, and it will take place, it's been a pattern for the past few years.

xp

CGN Regular
    You can call the CFC and let them know. It's the first option when you call in.

CGN frequent flyer
    why do you continue to associate with this loose cannon?

"Silently take his guns"???

How does this make sense?!

Sounds like family the way it's written.

Call 1-800-731-4000 and report it to them.

Lots wrong with this post. "Keep it in the family and silently take away every gun he buys"? Are you his father and he's underage? Or are you otherwise his guardian? If not, you are implying criminal activity on your part. Very bad idea.

Aggressive behaviour & addiction is not desirable in a firearms owner but apparently what you are describing is not illegal activity. Maybe the substance abuse is ... You know the police saying that there's nothing they can do? It's true, until that person crosses the line.

I'm not in favour of ratting people out, you should seek a second opinion from the family. If you are really sure about it, a call to the CFO regarding the applicant might be the solution, or a call to the RCMP if the substance abuse is illegal and can be proved. Treatment sometimes actually works.

Economic Refugee

Quote Originally Posted by dragonbait View Post
    You can call the CFC and let them know. It's the first option when you call in.
    This would prevent another "Moncton".

I'm not his guardian, but I would be in a position to lock up his guns in my cabinet when he's not looking, this is strictly non-restricted of course, I don't see anything wrong with that and it would keep them out of his reach, maybe I should have specified more clearly, nothing criminal about it, just like you keeping your guns at your place for a friend. The family says report him before things get any worse, and I think its the best option to handle this area. Why do I associate with him? I don't, I tolerated him up to a point, I don't any longer, but I may be forced to do so again. There is a child involved which this individual will use as a bargaining chip to get away with just about anything.

xp

Quote Originally Posted by xp190 View Post
    I'm not his guardian, but I would be in a position to lock up his guns in my cabinet when he's not looking, this is strictly non-restricted of course, I don't see anything wrong with that and it would keep them out of his reach, maybe I should have specified more clearly, nothing criminal about it, just like you keeping your guns at your place for a friend. The family says report him before things get any worse, and I think its the best option to handle this area. Why do I associate with him? I don't, I tolerated him up to a point, I don't any longer, but I may be forced to do so again. There is a child involved which this individual will use as a bargaining chip to get away with just about anything.

xp
    Do not be naive. Cabinets can be taken, broken into etc. If the person should not own a firearm based on your experience and observation of them, call the phone number listed a few posts up and discuss it with the people on the other end of the line! If that person then gets a PAL & does something stupid, at least you did the only thing you can legally do to prevent the matter.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aprilia Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xp190 View Post
    xp
    Child, Firearms, Substance Abuse and Aggression must NEVER be together.

You have the advantage ..... I would suggets you inform the proper authorities!
    CCFR MDRGC

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast