Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First firearm

You can get a cooey .22 cal for around $120-170. Repeater or bolt. Then for a handgun, you can sit and watch the EE for a cheap one to start with!
    Good luck and welcome to your new addiction!!!

Definitely a .22 my buddy bought a ruger American and loves it

Welcome. I'm aboard the 'buy the .22 first' boat, pushing a different name at you; Remington 597. If you're not interested in modifying it it's my opinion the 597 offers a little bit more for your dollar. The 10/22 is FAR more supported in the aftermarket. I however like to just shoot them, and nearly 3 years later the 597 has never disappointed me. 1" at 25 yards with a good scope is all-day-long easy, bone stock and never been apart.

Pistols, I'd say buy what your heart wants and shoot it when you can. I bought a 9mm, and even it's far-less-than-.45 cost to shoot it still stings to go through $100 an hour having fun. While I don't at all regret my purchase (Jericho 941, based on the CZ75), a .22 pistol is in my future.

If I can add another question to the conversation - Should a person want to eventually get into the competitive target shooting stuff, how popular are .22 hand guns?

I would think there must be different groups/classes of competition for different calibers? Is this correct?
    With this end result in mind - what are some good .22 handguns that can fill both roles of plinking and high accuracy for competition?

CGN Regular
    Been in the game for a year or so, and my path was first was a Ruger 10/22, dropped into a Hogue stock, shot that for a few months. Second was a Sig 226 in a 9mm but also added the 22cal kit so when I am at the range a bunch of 22 gets thrown down range, then ill put the 9mm barrel back on the sig to finish the day.

Just added one of the Daniel Defense ar15's as the next to the stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Quest View Post
    Recently received my PAL. Looking to buy a rimfire rifle and a 9mm pistol. Both will be used for punching holes in paper. I only have the cash for one at this time. Which would be better to start with? Any recommendations for particular models to check out or avoid?

Thanks
    PAL or RPAL? If it's only a PAL, I recommend getting a 10/22, there is a lot of things you can do to it for upgrades, and they are very nice little plinkers.

Got a RPAL. Got a Ruger American .22 to start.

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123