Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First firearm

Yeah, the "trap" is that if you only have the budget for one gun, you buy the one you really want first. You pay 2-4x more than you would for a decent .22, the ammo is 10-20x more expensive, you can barely afford to feed it, you can't practice much, and you walk away frustrated.

Start with the .22, though? You can get the gun and THOUSANDS of bullets for the base cost just to buy most good centerfire guns. You can shoot till your trigger finger goes numb, practice as much as you like, and you're already a few hundred bucks ahead on saving for the gun you really wanted.

Simple fact is, for everything except hunting, a good .22 is literally the ultimate gun. You basically can't go wrong.

Hello! Buy a .22 first.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    As most are saying go with a .22 first . You mentioned the Ruger American Nice gun I have the rifle & carbine (old guy with too much disposable income & love Rugers) Personal recommendation would be a Ruger 10/22 Base model sweet little gun you can upgrade , all kinds of options on different models & different capacity mags from 10 to 110 . My oldest (aging myself) is second year production (has never failed) newest today . Welcome & have fun . you've joined a great site & sport !

BANNED
    X2 for ruger 10/22 as for handguns, don't buy a cheap one just cause you don't have the budget NOW. Better scrape up a bit longer and get a decent one that you will enjoy for years and years without putting money on it or just plain leave it in the safe cause it will cost more to repair than it's worth. if you're going to shoot it often get something good. Not saying get a Sig at over 1K but the S&W M&P 9 or the Glock 17 have been trough it all and came out on top you cant go wrong with those. Youtube is your friend

Thanks for all the great replies! I really have my mind set on a bolt action. I'm much more comfortable with them. As far as a handgun I like steel. The plasticky feeling Glock type guns just don't do it for me. My plan now is to pick up a CZ 452 and as much ammo as I can find and buy myself a nice Christmas present, like a Beretta 92 or Sig P226.

Thanks everyone

Take a good, long look at the CZ 75 SP-01. Steel frame, aluminium grips, and an INCREDIBLE shooter. Buddy of mine has one, and I shoot it every chance I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegon View Post
    Man don't fall in the same trap every firearms lover on a budget does, buy the .22 first.
    Ah yes... I went for .45acp as a first pistol. My wallet cries out in distress. Thank goodness I have a .22 now as well.

The good news is there are a lot of awesome little tactical style 22's on the market now. I just got an ISSC 22 sporting rifle and it's the most enjoyable gun to shoot ever. I recommend it highly for a first .22. I wouldn't be discouraged by the bad reviews floating out there from a couple years ago, the new ones are updated and everything I've read indicates the problems of some of the first run ones are ironed out. Mine has performed flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by GearaDoga View Post
    Take a good, long look at the CZ 75 SP-01. Steel frame, aluminium grips, and an INCREDIBLE shooter. Buddy of mine has one, and I shoot it every chance I get.
    Yeah.... yeah.... I have one too. It was my first pistol.

Edit: opps.... mine is the Shadowline
    Last edited by 6MT; 06-23-2014 at 04:04 PM.

.22 is the most economical way to go if your ona budget..

Everyone is saying buy a 22, which is a smart and economical option
    but if you buy an sks you can feed milsurp through it and its still cheap and you still have the fact that its centerfire ammo so it has more kick

but 22 is cheaper, it has many restrictions in the hunting world though
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast