Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700s are back in action!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Tuco Pike's Avatar
    Remington 700s are back in action!

Really???? Mine are still waiting for those fellows at Gravel to send me the info to send them back. Last Remington products for me. Been waiting months, when a couple days even isn't acceptable...

CGN Regular
    To be fair if you think of the sheer number of guns affected it would be a monumental task to fix them all. Never mind the cost of having them shipped, repaired and then shipped back. Remington saw a danger to their customers and took on an enormous expense. If I understand correctly the trigger design was not the problem but the glue used to seal the screws. While it sucks for everyone involved it was by far the hardest on the company. I'm frustrated by the delay but I would rather hang on to my gun until they're ready instead of losing it for months on end.

Also try to keep in mind this is a sales thread. We all have frustrations but it's not fair to derail someone's thread to vent

I apologize for the interruption. Back to your scheduled programming

CGN Regular
    Perhaps a thread hijack but hopefully a bit on topic.
    A quick note to anyone who is dealing with Gravel Agencies QC and this Remington recall.

Gravel sent me a prepaid post return cheap thin cardboard box to ship the firearm to them for the recall repair.
    I packaged it up and took it down to my local Canada Post.
    Where I was then informed that the cardboard box does not meet the current Canada Post guidelines for shipping firearms, which were updated a while ago.
    So they are unable to take my firearm in the cardboard box that Gravel sent me to ship it in.
    I spent an hour with two of the CP employees while they called Canada Post HQ to see if Gravel/Remington had some special exemption on the shipping guidelines, and every supervisor up the chain, one after the other, said nope the cardboard box does not meet Canada Post firearm shipping guidelines so it cannot be accepted at the post office for mailing.
    I was told that if your local Post Office accepted one, which they are not supposed to do, but if they did accept one either not knowing what are the carton contents, or not knowing the current updated firearm shipping guidelines, that if anything happened to the package, good luck on any claims etc.

FUBAR.

What the hell are you suppose to ship them in then? Or do they just want it wrapped in brown kraft paper or some####?
    I ended up just sending my triggers in, not the entire guns.....
    It's getting a little bit Sunday around here.....

Quote Originally Posted by AaronGer View Post
    To be fair if you think of the sheer number of guns affected it would be a monumental task to fix them all. Never mind the cost of having them shipped, repaired and then shipped back. Remington saw a danger to their customers and took on an enormous expense. If I understand correctly the trigger design was not the problem but the glue used to seal the screws. While it sucks for everyone involved it was by far the hardest on the company. I'm frustrated by the delay but I would rather hang on to my gun until they're ready instead of losing it for months on end.

Also try to keep in mind this is a sales thread. We all have frustrations but it's not fair to derail someone's thread to vent

I apologize for the interruption. Back to your scheduled programming

Sorry to derail this even further, but i couldnt help it.. If you think Remington was proactive on this you are out to lunch. They have know about the problem for years, the threat of lawsuits and legal action has finally pushed them to fix it.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitzy View Post
    What the hell are you suppose to ship them in then?
    The Canada Post guidelines for shipping firearms are (from the CP website):
    - There cannot be any ammunition in the firearm or in the package.
    - The firearm must be unloaded.
    - The bolt, bolt carrier, magazine, etc. must be removed from the firearm if removable.
    - A secure locking device must be attached to the firearm (a trigger lock or cable etc.).
    - The firearm must be locked in a sturdy non-transparent container.
    - There cannot be any markings on the outside of the package.

A cardboard box cannot be locked, so it cannot be used to contain the firearm.
    So the firearm must be locked in a plastic gun case or other similar lockable container.
    The gun case can then be optionally placed into an outer cardboard box so it doesn't look like it is a gun being mailed.
    Finally, there cannot be any markings on the outside of the package, only the shipping label, and it is then ready for shipping.

The Canada Post HQ supervisors on the phone all said exactly the same thing as above. The Canada Post employees showed me right in the guidelines binder at the post office, and they also gave me the Canada Post 1-800 number. I also checked the Canada Post website, where it states what is above. And the guidelines are also posted on various additional sites I hit in a google search such as outdoorsmanforum.ca etc.

Firearms cannot be simply placed into a cardboard box, taped up, and shipped. Canada Post will not accept them that way any more.

Remington/Gravel won't accept triggers only.
    Remington has to test fire the rifle.
    This has been discussed on other forums (and possibly CGN, I didn't look).

Quote Originally Posted by muledeercrazy2 View Post
    Sorry to derail this even further, but i couldnt help it.. If you think Remington was proactive on this you are out to lunch. They have know about the problem for years, the threat of lawsuits and legal action has finally pushed them to fix it.
    No apology necessary.
    I think pretty much everyone has had it with Remington.
    Someone needs to sue Remington/Gravel for trying to bait firearm owners into incorrectly shipping their firearm in cheap cardboard boxes.
    I am still waiting to hear back from Gravel.
    Last edited by deegee; 08-29-2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: clarity

CGN Regular
    The guy at Gravel Agencies is too thick to understand, or simply ignoring the obvious.

He said they ship out hundreds of firearms just in taped up cardboard boxes.

I gave him all of the information the Canada Post employees gave me, including the 1-800 numbers and the link to the Canada Post website firearm shipping guidelines, and he refuses to listen to any of it.

He told me just to put a trigger lock on it, tape the key to the inside of the cardboard box, put lots of tape around the box, and mail it out.
    I told him that I cannot do that, the employees at Canada Post will not accept the package, that the shipping guidelines states that the firearm must have both a trigger lock and be locked in a container. That does not mean "trigger locked inside of a container", that means "inside of a container that has locks on it".

I guess playing stupid or being stupid is better than owning up to reality.

CGN Regular
    What the hell are you suppose to ship them in then? Or do they just want it wrapped in brown kraft paper or some####?
    They said countless times they were not accepting triggers only.

Hey I called them and said I replaced the xmp triggers with Timneys, am I supposed to swap them back out to send the gun in with the xmp installed in it? They told me over the phone "gawd no, don't do that, just send us the triggers and we will fix them up".
    So I dunno what the deal is, but they had no issue with me sending them in. I said I wanted them fixed to keep as back up and they said no worries, Remington is paying for everything.
    Anyway, the whole "gun must be locked in a box" must not apply to retailers then, cuz I have yet to purchase a rifle or handgun (like 75+ firearms) that arrived through CP locked.... Makes no sense, goddamn key would need to be with it....lol

Quote Originally Posted by deegee View Post
    The Canada Post guidelines for shipping firearms are (from the CP website):
    - There cannot be any ammunition in the firearm or in the package.
    - The firearm must be unloaded.
    - The bolt, bolt carrier, magazine, etc. must be removed from the firearm if removable.
    - A secure locking device must be attached to the firearm (a trigger lock or cable etc.).
    - The firearm must be locked in a sturdy non-transparent container.
    - There cannot be any markings on the outside of the package.

A cardboard box cannot be locked, so it cannot be used to contain the firearm.
    So the firearm must be locked in a plastic gun case or other similar lockable container.
    The gun case can then be optionally placed into an outer cardboard box so it doesn't look like it is a gun being mailed.
    Finally, there cannot be any markings on the outside of the package, only the shipping label, and it is then ready for shipping.

The Canada Post HQ supervisors on the phone all said exactly the same thing as above. The Canada Post employees showed me right in the guidelines binder at the post office, and they also gave me the Canada Post 1-800 number. I also checked the Canada Post website, where it states what is above. And the guidelines are also posted on various additional sites I hit in a google search such as outdoorsmanforum.ca etc.

Firearms cannot be simply placed into a cardboard box, taped up, and shipped. Canada Post will not accept them that way any more.

Remington/Gravel won't accept triggers only.
    Remington has to test fire the rifle.
    This has been discussed on other forums (and possibly CGN, I didn't look).

No apology necessary.
    I think pretty much everyone has had it with Remington.
    Someone needs to sue Remington/Gravel for trying to bait firearm owners into incorrectly shipping their firearm in cheap cardboard boxes.
    I am still waiting to hear back from Gravel.
    Every single firearm I've bought new from dealers was never locked

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast