Thread: Hi Guys I am new to the site and excited.

Hi Guys I am new to the site and excited.

So i like military surplus guns, i really wants a m1 garand but it looks like the ammo is Crazy expensive, like close to $1 per round. I am i right ? also i think the m1 Carbine looks cool, do you guys have any advice on pros and cons of theses to gun such as , Cost, ammo cost, Quality of gun, Availability of ammo, if there Kick really hard and so on?? i am also looking at the svt-40 and seeing a $299.99 price tag around is that high ?

BANNED
    Hi. You have your PAL and RPAL?
    M1 Carbines are restricted due to barrel length(a semi-auto centre fire has to have a barrel longer than 18.5" not to be restricted. An issue Carbine's is 18".). Great fun to shoot but unless you can find one with a non-standard aftermarket barrel you can't do much with 'em. Ammo is kind of difficult to find due to being restricted too. Not impossible though.
    M1 Rifles(aka. A Garand) run close to a grand, in decent condition and are getting scarce. You'll see junkers at close to that too. If anybody tells you the parts have S/N matching numbers, run away. M1 Rifle parts don't do that.
    The felt recoil of an M1 Rifle is nothing. Far less with a Carbine. Gas operated semi-autos are like that. You can shoot either of 'em all day and end up with a great big smile on your face and nothing else.
    There is no milsurp ammo for either a Carbine or M1 Rifle. Never has been in Canada. Reloading makes the cost of ammo less. Runs around $500 to get set up.
    $299.99 isn't horrible if you have $300 plus taxes.

Hello!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    Welcome to CGN! I don't want to make any assumptions about your shooting experiences thus far, but based on your questions...I'd urge you "walk before you run", and consider starting with a bolt action .22 of some description. Look up a Norinco JW-25, it's a .22 replica of a WWII German rifle~might scratch the itch for you! Going from nothing, to an SVT-40 is a huge jump, and the noise/recoil/cleaning of a gun like that might be a little overwhelming for a new shooter. If you hope to hit your target with something like an SVT-40, you need the trigger time on sometime allot more tame if you ask me. The SVT-40s also have muzzle brakes that GREATLY increase the noise level for you, and surrounding shooters. Some serious hearing protection req.

Just a thought... Take a poke around the rimfire section on here, lots of enthusiasts, discussions on various guns, pros/cons, etc.

thx for suggestion yes i am going to get a semi auto 22, not into the bolt action 22. i have shot the sks and mossin and after shooing them, with big rounds i really would like a m1 garand but there very hard to find, and i here the ammo is really expensive also. thx for all the info about the svt 40 great to know.

hey that for the hello

sunray whats with the statement you said……..The above info is probably wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by j_moe View Post
    sunray whats with the statement you said……..The above info is probably wrong??
    That is just his forum signature. A joke.

I also really want to get an M1 Garand. I don't really care about price. I just love war history, and would like to have a piece of it. Just waiting anxiously for my application to be approved