Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Asperger's and P.A.L Application

Asperger's and P.A.L Application

Hi,

I am fairly knew to the firearms community, so new as I do not yet have a license, but I am on the waiting list for a CFSC in July.

I have one thing bothering me though, I have Asperger's Syndrome (ASD) a mild form of Autism.

I am well aware that on the application they ask about depression and threatening suicide and psychoactive medications which I have none of. However, I am not aware if they ask about neurological disorders.

so here are my questions:

1. Do they ask about neurological disorders, such as anything on the Autism Spectrum?

2. If someone answers that they do have something for example Asperger's, is that reason for automatic denial of an application, or what happens next?

3. If anyone who has anything on the Austim Spectrum or better yet Asperger's has been issued a license, could you please either reply that you have or private message me that you have, if that makes you more comfortable.

This is my only concern as I am a single 19 year old who has never been in a relationship and doesn't take any medications and who has no criminal record whatsoever.

Thank You

Should not be a problem as there are many famous, respected people with a similar situation. Key is the right references from what you said.

Welcome to CGN.

I don't know the answer to your question, but hope that you are successful.

As with any application, you will want to choose your references carefully and know that they are comfortable with firearm ownership in general.

(Edit)

^he beat me to it!
    Wanted: German training, target and sporting rifles in .22.

CGN frequent flyer Trigger_The_Rookie's Avatar
    It seems to me that one of the cornerstones of mental well-being is self knowledge. A high-functioning man of a particular spectrum who can eloquate his condition inteligently, can live without the need for brain-tinkering meds, and has the good sense to consult others for help (such as yourself) is not what one should consider a high-risk gun owner.

Having said that, I recall from reading a book on the subject of another syndrome spectrum (FASD), that some individuals can be easily manipulated and coerced into potentially risky situations and behaviors such as promiscuity, or being taken advantage of financially. I'm not saying this applies to you, but it's a consideration.
    The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them. -Ayn Rand
    NFA: NO COMPROMISE

In my opinion, as a father of a son with Aspergers, you would have to or should answer "Yes" to the one question because it is a broadly based question. "Behaviour problems". Aspergers is under the Austism umbrella but there is talk that it may be separated, as well as Turrets etc. I only say this because if you don't mention it and follow up with a nicely worded letter attached to your application it may come back on you. Just like depression and anxiety don't exclude you, as I know, just include a note.

Now my reasoning is because IF they phone your references and they mention something about the Aspergers, they may wonder what's up. Or if you go for your RPAL later and it comes up you didn't mention it. Aspergers comes across to many as behaviour when it really is a misunderstanding, on your part, to social queues in our social society. People look at it as odd behaviour.

Now you don't treat Aspergers but you learn to work with it. You live, you grow, you forget about it and every once in a while something happens and you go "Oh yeah, that's the Aspergers". We see it all the time with our son. It even catches him off guard and he even goes "That was the Aspergers wasn't it?" We all smile.

Now it's not like you have behaviour issues like say your a psychopath or schitso, far from it. But if you don't mention it and the RCMP think you should have then you may have a harder time. They may ask for a release to talk to/or a letter from your doctor but if it is all good, there is no harm. Aspergers doesn't get worse, if anything you get better with time.

Sorry if i digress or talk to much, it's a familiar topic and one to which I have familiarity dealing with.

Good luck.

Aspberger's syndrome is no longer considered a disability and isn't listed anymore so they cannot use that, and just explain it to them, but you need not even mention it now as its legal classification has changed and it has nothing to do with delirium or psychotic behaviour, its typically empathy and most people with asd are actually more productive than normal people as it is typically in highly intelligent individuals involved in highly skilled positions or jobs, Ive known a few people with ASP and all were what I would call normal people who ended up being highly successful in their fields

I would consider my friends with ASP Unique not disabled or a threat to society, They are actually quite gifted in some cases, just could care less when I stub my toe or something, the ones I know seem to lack any empathy at the time

Id just remind ASP has been de listed as an official disability or mental illness, and hence cannot be used any more than saying someone is Giddy!

Thank you, I have asked this same question to a Provincial Firearms officer here in Ontario, who also happens to be teaching the course I am on the waiting list for, she said a letter would probably be sent to my doctor, which I think would mean psychologist, so I have an appointment in the next 7 days with her, but I don't see her being against it.

Knightly it should be no problem I had to have a form filled out when I lived in Ontario, I took mine to my family doctor and its was that I was of sound mind and of no threat to myself of others, Id assume its similar and its one of those things that falls under the CFO's Discretion under public safety, You can even have your doctor fax them in the form.

I think its just a way to cover their asses in case nothing ever happens is what was sort of explained to me.

But really ASP isn't even recognized anymore as of last year so its a moot issue imho

Quote Originally Posted by Rasp76 View Post
    Knightly it should be no problem I had to have a form filled out when I lived in Ontario, I took mine to my family doctor and its was that I was of sound mind and of no threat to myself of others, Id assume its similar and its one of those things that falls under the CFO's Discretion under public safety, You can even have your doctor fax them in the form.

I think its just a way to cover their asses in case nothing ever happens is what was sort of explained to me.

But really ASP isn't even recognized anymore as of last year so its a moot issue imho
    That is all that was needed regarding my PTSD and other issues, submit a written clinical opinion from my doctors saying they have no concerns about my possession and use of firearms.

Yea what grove said, it should be no problem, at least it wasn't for me, my doctor actually sorta laughed and asked me really?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast