Thread: DDM4 V5 or MK 18 ???

DDM4 V5 or MK 18 ???

I am looking to buy a new rifle. Just wondering which one may be more fun to shoot, I will be shooting at indoor ranges at the moment. Just looking for some pros and cons on a 16 inch barrel or 10.3 inch barrel. My biggest concern would be with the MK 18 or 10.3 inch barrel what I still be able to hit a target at 2 to 300 yards? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated thank you and happy Canada Day.

I currently own both and they are both fantastic rifles. The MK18 is smaller, lighter and easier to control, whereas the V5 is much smoother shooting with the mid-length gas system. I never thought the middy system would make that much of a difference until I fired them both side by side.

Happy Canada Day to you too Charlie. I don't own either of those, however I do have a 12" barrel PWS AR and am able to hit torso targets out to 300M with an eotech, and I am not what I would consider and great shot. It's a lot of fun to shoot. I love the balance of the rifle with the short barrel, it is as ^^ says easy to control, and hold on target. My .02 Have a good one!

CGN Regular
    I have always preferred shorter rifles and have had several ar-15's in different lengths. the shortest I have had is 11.5" and it had no problems hitting targets at 300 yds. Daniel defense makes a good quality gun, I think you will be happy with it.

I've got a V5 and wished I went with the MK. I find my V5 gets heavy carrying it all day. If your shooting mostly inside the MK will probably fit your needs best.
    with great power comes great responsibility.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Maple Leaf Pilgrim's Avatar
    I thought I lost this post.

deleted.
    Last edited by Maple Leaf Pilgrim; 07-03-2014 at 08:06 PM. Reason: frikken smart phone posts...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer andrew3081's Avatar
    I would go with Mk18
    What?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Maple Leaf Pilgrim's Avatar
    I have made good hits on static targets at 500m using Mk18 Mod0s & mod1s. The platform is compact, lightweight and accurate out a fair ways. There's a reason numerous special operations units use sights with magnification on top of the rifle.

In its standard civilian configuration the rifle is a good starter platform but with a very few low cost upgrades it comes a lot closer to the issued service weapon. I recommend swapping out the OEM butt stock for one of the SOPMod stocks as well as a VFG (I use a VTac QD ULG) placed as far forward as I can get it.

Just be careful with all that rail space as you can make it a very heavy rifle pretty quick. One of the big things is to plan the weight and balance of the rifle. That way it might be heavier, but it'll still be quick to bear.

-S.
    Last edited by Maple Leaf Pilgrim; 07-03-2014 at 12:30 PM.