Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to guns

New to guns

Hello Guys,

Great forum with lots of good info. I am new to guns and like to do lots of research before making a decision. Recently completed my PAL course and sent off my paperwork so now have lots of waiting to to decide on my first purchase. I am manly looking for a .22LR riffle for varmit control, and also so fun shooting and possible target shooting. I have a budget of around $300 for a riffle, and another $200 for accessories (locks, case, cleaning kit, scope?, etc)

What would you guys recommend for riffle? I at the moment I am thinking either a Savage MK2 or Ruger 10/22. Are there other guns you would consider under the $300 mark? I think the Savage would be a good idea so I could focus more on the shot vs just rapidly shooting rounds off with the ruger. What is everyone thoughts? I want to make myself the best possible markman I can.

Also what is everyone thoughts on buying new vs used? typically when I think buying used I think of buying someones problems, or are these guns pretty trouble free? Not having any experience with repairing gun, I am thinking more new.

I am located between Sarnia, London and Chatham. I know there are lots of gun shops in the area. Any recommendations or places to stay away from? Would you recommend buying from Canadian Tire (I do get a 25% discount) or stay with a knowledge of a true gun shop?

What accessories do you recommend or any stay away from?

CGN Regular
    I would recommend the Savage mkII, I have 2 and love them. I have bought guns new as well as used without problems. If you are unsure about a used gun your looking at then don't be afraid to ask questions to the seller about it. I also don't see a problem buying from Canadian Tire if they have what you want for a decent price, that being said, I've only bought from local shops.

Hello!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer thehook92a1's Avatar
    Hello and to CGN enjoy the site

Hello & welcome.

BANNED
    I would recommend the savage. It was my first gun and I love it. I have a cheap Simmons 3-9×32 ao scope on it and is really accurate out to 50 yards. It is also a great varmint gun I do a lot of raccoon control at my cottage.

I have a Remington 597, but it's kinda meh. Not sure if I would buy one again. Savage makes great bolt guns in .22. The new Ruger American Compact .22 LR looks awesome (but slightly out of your price range)!

I would recommend a bolt gun and open sights to start. An older Cooey will save you some money and last a life time. Something new would be a Savage MK2 you suggested which are in your price range. The semi’s don’t teach good marksmanship and some of the guys who buy the 10/22 spend more on add-ons than they do the original purchase.
    Gun control defined:
    The theory that criminals who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder, will obey a law that prohibits them from owning a firearm while disarming decent people from having access to firearms to prevent criminals from achieving their goals.

BANNED
    Having that 25% matters(Epp's lists 10/22's at $306.38. Don't know if Crappy Tire even carries Rugers.), but don't expect anybody at Crappy Tire to know anything about firearms. No training for minimum wagers.
    Don't discount buying used. It takes a lot of abuse to damage a modern rifle, even a .22. Of course, you won't see used firearms at Crappy Tire. All the other stuff will be there though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nowarningshot's Avatar
    Your on the right track with those two choices. If you had $200 more perhaps a CZ. If you are looking at used may i suggest not buying a semi. In buying a semi that someone else has done many magazine dumps on, you may be buying a inaccurate rifle. So semi 10/22 is good, but new not used.

Another thought...old Cooey bolt gun. You could get one in the $80 range, for the most part they are pretty accurate. If you find its not for you, its not a lot of money and risk as someone will take it off of your hands for that.
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast