Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XCR-M Owners: Bit of a warning

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CosmiC10R's Avatar
    Wolverine recommends 250 in lbs on the barrel retention bolt. It's not you if you tightened it down to 200. Has to a faulty bolt. Hopefully you get this worked out fairly easily....
    It's not about money.... It's about sending a message...
    Member - NRA (Bloomie made me do it ) - CCFR - NFA - CPC
    Juster - "I came to CGN for the firearms information, but stayed for the supportive mental health ecosystem"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer alter3d's Avatar
    It's a RobArms... pretty sure the recommendation from the manufacturer will be "use some Loctite".

That's really sucky though. Never fun to have a broken gun.
    I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.
    ― Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobedience

I hope that red colour is not indicating the presence of red Loctite. If it was assembled with red Loctite, you need to get your receiver to someone with experience, as that screw is next to frozen in there, as far as basic hand tools are concerned. Some precise drilling and screw extraction are in order.
    Antis say guns kill people. We are still waiting for the first gun to get up and kill someone.

CGN Regular
    I'd see if a machine shop with EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining) capability will do it. No risk of marring anything or boogering the threads compared to if you use an EZ Out, there's no drilling involved. If they'll do a firearm it should just cost a couple of bucks, should be cheaper than the EZ out actually. No need for a gunsmith or any panic, this is an dead easy issue to fix.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...px/95-Tapx.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bc308 View Post
    I hope that red colour is not indicating the presence of red Loctite. If it was assembled with red Loctite, you need to get your receiver to someone with experience, as that screw is next to frozen in there, as far as basic hand tools are concerned. Some precise drilling and screw extraction are in order.
    Well the reason I went to tighten it was because it came lose. I doubt there was any loctite in there if it came lose after 400-500 rounds of shooting.

I don't feel confident enough in my own abilities to extract the screw so it looks like I'll be taking it to a gun smith. At least The Shooting Edge has a good one, if their warranty policies leave much to be desired...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CosmiC10R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bc308 View Post
    Upon further inspection... I hope you are not right... Red loctite?
    It's not about money.... It's about sending a message...
    Member - NRA (Bloomie made me do it ) - CCFR - NFA - CPC
    Juster - "I came to CGN for the firearms information, but stayed for the supportive mental health ecosystem"

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsonofbob View Post
    Wow, seriously that must have been a cheezy bolt....the broken piece looks like it is threaded into a 'heli-coil'. Unless really competent, leave the extraction to a gunsmith/ machinist. I would check your torque wrench as well, just sayin, sorry to see you had such a problem.
    It looks like exactly that - apart from repairing stripped threads, HeliCoils are also used where steel studs/bolts go into aluminum, the steel / steel thread is much less likely to strip or seize. Makes sense, with an aluminum upper and steel bolt. It'll save the threads over the life of the weapon.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    I don't feel confident enough in my own abilities to extract the screw so it looks like I'll be taking it to a gun smith. At least The Shooting Edge has a good one, if their warranty policies leave much to be desired...
    I promise you don't need a gunsmith, or to pay gunsmith rates for this, it's a ten minute job at any machine shop with EDM. It's Calgary, I can't imagine if you show up out back of a small shop with a few beers and a sad look on your face someone won't take pity and just do it on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by flashman View Post
    It looks like exactly that - apart from repairing stripped threads, HeliCoils are also used where steel studs/bolts go into aluminum, the steel / steel thread is much less likely to strip or seize. Makes sense, with an aluminum upper and steel bolt. It'll save the threads over the life of the weapon.
    I do believe that this is correct. Upon further inspection around the threads, it does look like there's a HeliCoil installed in the upper receiver. There's a distinct end and the "coil" runs along the outside edge and then under itself at the visible "end" of the coil.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer andrew3081's Avatar
    For the OP, during shooting....the barrel nut came loose enough for you to unscrew the screw by hand?
    What?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast