Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XCR-M Owners: Bit of a warning

It looks like we have this problem licked. Whether you go to a gunsmith or a machinist, get some experience in your corner.

Ideally it's the heli-coil that was loctited in, and the fastener just broke from fatigue.

I'm not familiar with these rifles. Generally, putting in a heli-coil in an aluminum part is a quality procedure where a fastener requires high torque, or must be removed often. This saves pulling, or wearing out the threads. The rifle may have been built this way, or is a previous repair. Good luck and I hope you are out shooting soon.
    Last edited by bc308; 07-02-2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: addition
    Antis say guns kill people. We are still waiting for the first gun to get up and kill someone.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew3081 View Post
    For the OP, during shooting....the barrel nut came loose enough for you to unscrew the screw by hand?
    It wasn't sitting there lose, but I was able to completely unscrew it with gloved fingers. At 200 in-lb of torque from the factory this shouldn't be possible I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by bc308 View Post
    It looks like we have this problem licked. Whether you go to a gunsmith or a machinist, get some experience in your corner.

Ideally it's the heli-coil that was loctited in, and the fastener just broke from fatigue.

I'm not familiar with these rifles. Generally, putting in a heli-coil in an aluminum part is a quality procedure where a fastener requires high torque, or must be removed often. This saves pulling, or wearing out the threads. The rifle may have been built this way, or is a previous repair. Good luck and I hope you are out shooting soon.
    Rifle was bought new, so it's definitely factory installed.

@Wolverine Supplies, I still think this happened due to a factory defective screw being used. Is it possible to get a replacement from RA under any kind of warranty?

CGN Regular
    There is no question that this will be covered under warranty. This is the first time I have heard of this bolt breaking and yes, they are to be tightened to 200 in/lbs. They can come loose over the break in cycle but once broke in and torqued to spec they should not cause you any more trouble. If you take it back to your dealer they should send it back to Wolverine for repair.
    Best regards.
    Guy.
    If you have any problems, please e-mail me at sales@wolverinesupplies.com and I will make sure that Grumpy takes care of it for you. Thanks Grumpy

CGN Regular
    Did you stop when the torque wrench clicked for the 200 in pounds? most torque wrenches indicate you are at the torque, but will continue to torque well past what you set it at....

Wow. For such an expensive rifle that screw is a real weak point in its design!
    PAL is required for all ammo/firearms sales immediately after buyer states "I'll take it". Failure to do so will result in the loss of your first to claim it position. Shipping insurance is extra and must be requested.

That is one weak bolt if it only can take 200in-lbs. Thats 17 lbs being applied at the end of a 1 ft bar (your daughter could apply that force)

I'm wondering if RA got a bad batch of bolts at some point. On mine it was the cap-screw that holds the fast-stock. Removed the fast-stock and when I went to replace it the bolt just broke off. Not a big deal as I had enough bolt sticking out to grab it with channel locks and remove. And fortunately it's a common thread, so it was easy enough to get a replacement at the local hardware store for about 89 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
    Did you stop when the torque wrench clicked for the 200 in pounds? most torque wrenches indicate you are at the torque, but will continue to torque well past what you set it at....
    This torque wrench makes a loud click when you hit the desired torque. The click never happened, so the head sheared off before the 200 in-lbs was fully applied.

BANNED
    wow,,for a riffle of that price,,i would expect a bit better quality,,,cheap bolts shouldn't be on there....proper graded ones would show care and quality,,,not to mention cheap ass Helicoils,,,,ever hear of timserts????,,,,way better process than helicoils,,,but a bit more expensive,,,i guess they dont make enough profit on their guns,,,LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by hootguy View Post
    wow,,for a riffle of that price,,i would expect a bit better quality,,,cheap bolts shouldn't be on there....proper graded ones would show care and quality,,,not to mention cheap ass Helicoils,,,,ever hear of timserts????,,,,way better process than helicoils,,,but a bit more expensive,,,i guess they dont make enough profit on their guns,,,LOL..
    Considering my post is the only one I can find about this kind of issue, I assume I may of just got a lemon screw. Happens with everything, even with the strictest quality control when you end up going into full production of any product.

I'm willing to give RA the benefit of the doubt on this one. I called up the retailer I purchased the rifle from, they're looking into who needs to be contacted for warranty repair / etc. I'm pretty sure they'll just get back to me with information that I already know (call Wolverine), but I want to be sure!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast