Thread: First Rifle: Ruger 10/22 Stainless?

First Rifle: Ruger 10/22 Stainless?

Greetings!

Waiting for the PAL... yay...(not really. Waiting is the hardest part).

Shopping in the meantime. Speaking with some folks, it's obvious a .22 rifle should be my first choice for many reasons but mostly price but also to see what I like and dislike about the firearm before blowing a wad (pun intended) on a tacked out anything.

Ruger 10/22 Stainless is my thought for a few reasons:
    Out of the box, it's a shooter (sights included unlike the target).
    Price is good.
    Heavy enough barrel to not cut accuracy so much after heating and to increase cooling.

Anyways, as a n00b, I'm open to any opinions.

Thoughts?

CGN Regular
    Maybe consider the Takedown. It comes in a decent bag and is pretty portable. Easy to clean as well.

Ruger 10/22 sporter, that was my first rifle. You just can't go wrong with it.

CGN frequent flyer eatredmeat157's Avatar
    Yup. 10/22 stainless was my first gun. If I could do it over again I wouldn't change a thing.
    Triple bread rounds for the win

BANNED
    I got a kel-tec sub 2000 9mm as a first gun then got a 10/22 . It's fun to shoot, but it's biggest point is cause it's cheap to shoot. I have to admit that i don't bring it to the range as often as i thought i would.
    If you live where you can shoot it right outside your house, i say hell yeah! But for a gun that you have to bring to the range maybe not... at least for me. I enjoy shooting 9mm a lot more than .22. I'm getting a pistol soon and i'm not sure if i will keep the .22 or use it as part of the funds for the pistol. A few weeks after i bought it i wanted to get a scope for it but i didn't.
    My advice, get someone to bring you to the range and try shooting different calibers. When i did i had a blast and even my first time i didn't really like shooting .22. Could be me though, i don't have much interest in it. It's too much like shooting my .22 pellet rifle in my basement but with a bigger bang.
    Last edited by kobs; 07-11-2014 at 01:56 PM.

CGN Regular
    that's a fine choice if you ask me!

Quote Originally Posted by wd123 View Post
    that's a fine choice if you ask me!
    I agree. If you don't want bolt action, the 10/22 is a fine choice.
    Don't worry about heating the barrel too much, it won't happen.

Congratulation and good luck.

Why don't you want bolt action?

Excellent choice is my current grouse/rabbit/pest rifle.

I have a stainless 10/22 and it's an awesome shooter. Don't waste your money on the takedown unless it's something you'll use and even then IMO the novelty isn't worth the $100 or so extra. I put the tactical ATI folding stock on it and a red dot.
    It comes to the range every time and goes with me into the woods every trip. My wife loves shooting it as well, it was the first gun she ever shot. I would also suggest picking up a pump shotgun, they are loads if fun and cheapish to shoot. Shop around see what peaks your interest.
    "There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened. But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at."