Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LAR15 pistol mags and non-restricted rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by stvjeep View Post
    The Norinco M305 (copy of the M14) is chambered in .308 Winchester caliber. LAR-15 and Beowulf pistol magazines are designed for the 5.56x45mm/.223 Remington cartridge. Those magazines will not work with the M305. You will only find 5/xx pattern magazines (riveted to 5 rounds only). There are no pistol based magazines for the M14/M305 type rifle.

The AR10 type platform can utilize the AR10 pistol magazines. Look up the Robinson Arms XCR-M micro pistol. It uses AR10 type pistol magazines. Robertson Arms rifles (not the pistol of course) are non-restricted. They are available in Canada and are also quite expensive.

The Norinco M305 is a good choice. Affordable, reliable and durable. Designed to be used mainly with the "iron" sights. It is best to learn to shoot with iron sights as well. One can mount a scope but you will need to purchase an additional mount for the rifle. When using a scope on the M305 the mounting height is far from ideal (very high to the bore axis) and you will need a cheek riser or pad mounted to the butt-stock as well. All of those extras add a bunch of weight to an already heavy rifle ~ 9lbs. Also be aware the M305 has an extremely harsh recoil impulse that is very hard on scopes.

Anyways, I'm rambling on well beyond what you asked. I felt the need to do so due to the nature of the question asked (can tell you are just learning about this hobby) in the thread and the poor response you initially received. Keep reading and researching before you spend your way into anything. We all need to start somewhere and learn about things somehow. It's also nice to receive a productive answer with an explanation rather then sarcastic comments.

Cheers
    Thanks for the response.

You're right, I totally am just learning about it all - and admit have been confused along the way a couple of times.
    It's a whole new language to learn.

Part of that confusion has been the whole ar10 and ar15 thing as well. I gather from your post that AR10 is for .308? But cannot be used in the Norinco.

In my previous post I mentioned I thought there were adapters available for the LAR15 magazine. What would they be used for?

Quote Originally Posted by Wretched View Post

In my previous post I mentioned I thought there were adapters available for the LAR15 magazine. What would they be used for?
    Quote Originally Posted by KePet View Post
    M-305 is an M1A1/M14 clone and is a .308. LAR-15 mags fit AR type rifles (.223/5.56 caliber). So no they will not work in an M-305. LAR-15 mags will work in CSA-858's with an adapter, Robinson Arms XCR-L's, H & K SL-8 with an adapter, Mossberg MVP bolt actions, Ket-Tec SU-16's, Remington 7615 pump action etc. etc. there is no list out there for you, but any .223/5.56 mm advertised to take AR mags will accept them. They will not fit .308's
    Cool, thanks.

Isn't it possible to use mismatched ammunition and magazine? Somehow I've gotten it into my head this is possible with some pistol magazines, and therefore maybe rifle magazines?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    If u want M14/M305 mags AIA makes a 10 rd for their bolt action rifle in .308 that fits M14/M305 but they are pricey and hard to come by. Check youtube for reviews. I thought a sponsor was going to be getting some made.

Thanks for the response.

You're right, I totally am just learning about it all - and admit have been confused along the way a couple of times.
    It's a whole new language to learn.

Part of that confusion has been the whole ar10 and ar15 thing as well. I gather from your post that AR10 is for .308? But cannot be used in the Norinco.

Never heard of a LAR-15 magazine adapter. The LAR-15 magazine is a pistol magazine. It is basically an AR-15 magazine that is labelled for use in a AR pattern pistol. It is approved by the rcmp for use in a pistol. The laws in Canada are EXTREMELY confusing. Have a read through this link (please read through all of it and specifically section 4):

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/b...323-72-eng.htm

I would recommend you print this out. If you ever purchase such a magazine and happen to run into Law Enforcement in your journeys and they see the magazine you may find yourself in a snag as even the police (90% of them) in this country are confused and misinformed with the ridiculous firearms act. By possessing this bulletin straight from the RCMP website along with the magazine you may save yourself a lot of trouble!
    PAL is required for all ammo/firearms sales immediately after buyer states "I'll take it". Failure to do so will result in the loss of your first to claim it position. Shipping insurance is extra and must be requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
    If u want M14/M305 mags AIA makes a 10 rd for their bolt action rifle in .308 that fits M14/M305 but they are pricey and hard to come by. Check youtube for reviews. I thought a sponsor was going to be getting some made.
    There you go. I just learned something new myself. I think I read about those mags before (years ago) but like it was said they're almost mythical to come by and are way overpriced.
    PAL is required for all ammo/firearms sales immediately after buyer states "I'll take it". Failure to do so will result in the loss of your first to claim it position. Shipping insurance is extra and must be requested.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    The LAR-15 magazines are made for 5.56x45, the M305 is made for 7.62x51. Cartridge sizes are incompatible.

However, the Kel-Tec SU16 in NR and can use the LAR mags. As does the Norinco Type97NSR and NRR. Also the IWI Tavor TAR-21. The Mossberg MVP an as well, but that's a bolt action rifle.

For AR type magazines, my personal preference is the Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply (ATRS) AT15 pistol magazines. They are black polymer, and slightly taller than the LAR mags are so they fit better in pouches and just seem a little easier to grab on to. Unfortunately all their gen1 mags are sold out, and the gen2 have been facing delays.

However, since you are considering the M305, Northern Republic Magazine is expecting a shipment of Australia International Arms (AIA) M10 .308 Winchester magazines in various sizes. These were supposed to be full capacity, but the RCMP have recently ordered that they be limited to 10. NRM is expecting batches of 10/10, 10/20, and 10/30. These magazines are not designed for the M305, but will function if you so desire. The laws are concerned with what they are designed and intended for, not what they are actually put in.

Cool, thanks.

Isn't it possible to use mismatched ammunition and magazine? Somehow I've gotten it into my head this is possible with some pistol magazines, and therefore maybe rifle magazines?
    Sometimes. A huge factor is cartridge length. You may be able to get the magazine to function with shorter cartridges, but it is difficult to make cartridges with longer overall lengths work. Cartridge diameter is a different matter, but easier to work around such as how 9mm will generally fit into .40S&W magazines. In some cases the feed lips will need to be tweaked for proper feeding. It's a very case-by-case basis. Beretta 92 mags work fine for 9 in .40, but MecGar Walther PPQ mags have feed lips about 1/64th of an inch too wide to hold 9mm reliably in .40 mags.

As an example, 300 AAC Blackout can be made from .223 Remington brass, trimmed down and necked up to fit a .308 bullet. Because the cartridge has the same dimension body, but just a slightly shorter overall length they will fit and function just fine in .223 mags.

50 Beowulf is the most extreme example I know of, approx 13 cartridges of .223 will fit in a mag intended for 5 of 50 Beowulf.

In some cases external adapters can be made to change what gun the magazine will fit into, someone on here made an adapter to use XCR-L pistol mags in his SKS. Because the magazine itself was not altered, it is legal to use it in that manner.

Then there are also some internal adapters that can be used for increased reliability with smaller cartridges. I think GSDesigns on here sells some .22lr adapters for SIG P226 mags, so you can use the same magazine body as 9mm, just swap out the follower. I really don't know where that falls if you were to do something like made a 50 cal to .308 adapter to fit 15 or 20 cartridges into a magazine. Theoretically it should be fine because you're not increasing the capacity of the cartridge it was designed for.
    Last edited by Stevebot-7; 07-12-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

They aren't an adapter for an LAR-15 magazine. They are a "Stanag Adapter" which allows firearms such as the SL-8 and the .556 CSA-858's to use AR magazines. Both these and other firearms use proprietary magazines that are often hard to come by, or prohibitively expensive. You can purchase adapters (basically a replacement mag-well) that accept AR mags. AR magazines are technically a "Stanag" magazine. AR-10's and XCR-M's also use a "Stanag" magazine, albeit in a .308 size/caliber. Most people don't use the technical term, but simply refer to the as AR mags. Adapters run the gamut in price from the $80.00 polymers to mil spec aluminum in the $3-400.00 range, and many can be a little finicky with different magazines/feeding

You could keep an eye on the EE for a AR180B. ..
    It's a ####ty rifle, but it uses AR nags so. .. the LAR mags will work.
    Bernie Rhodes knows. Don't Argue

CGN Ultra frequent flyer luke s's Avatar
    The Norinco M305 (copy of the M14) is chambered in .308 Winchester caliber. LAR-15 and Beowulf pistol magazines are designed for the 5.56x45mm/.223 Remington cartridge. Those magazines will not work with the M305. You will only find 5/xx pattern magazines (riveted to 5 rounds only). There are no pistol based magazines for the M14/M305 type rifle.

The AR10 type platform can utilize the AR10 pistol magazines. Look up the Robinson Arms XCR-M micro pistol. It uses AR10 type pistol magazines. Robertson Arms rifles (not the pistol of course) are non-restricted. They are available in Canada and are also quite expensive.

The Norinco M305 is a good choice. Affordable, reliable and durable. Designed to be used mainly with the "iron" sights. It is best to learn to shoot with iron sights as well. One can mount a scope but you will need to purchase an additional mount for the rifle. When using a scope on the M305 the mounting height is far from ideal (very high to the bore axis) and you will need a cheek riser or pad mounted to the butt-stock as well. All of those extras add a bunch of weight to an already heavy rifle ~ 9lbs. Also be aware the M305 has an extremely harsh recoil impulse that is very hard on scopes.

Anyways, I'm rambling on well beyond what you asked. I felt the need to do so due to the nature of the question asked (can tell you are just learning about this hobby) in the thread and the poor response you initially received. Keep reading and researching before you spend your way into anything. We all need to start somewhere and learn about things somehow. It's also nice to receive a productive answer with an explanation rather then sarcastic comments.

Cheers
    There are 10 round mags that will fit the m305. Aia bolt action rifles use these mags

Uber Super GunNutz barrett50cal's Avatar
    The Norinco M305 (copy of the M14) is chambered in .308 Winchester caliber. LAR-15 and Beowulf pistol magazines are designed for the 5.56x45mm/.223 Remington cartridge.
    Just to clarify, Beowulf mags are not *designed for* 5.56x45mm, they are designed for .50 Beowulf.
    5.56x45mm happen to fit.
    That may seem like a trivial point but legally it's an important distinction.
    Also, there is currently no Beowulf pistol mag -- although it would be nice as that would be ~28 rounds of .223.
    Last edited by barrett50cal; 07-12-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast