Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominion Primer Hardness?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Riflechair's Avatar

Dominion Primer Hardness?

Howdy CanAm
    Are these Dominion Primers similar to the hardness of milspec primers?
    I'm thinking more along the lines of M305 related slam-fire issues associated with soft civy primers.
    CCI sells milspec LR primers but they un-obtainium.

I expect the Berdan primers are pretty hard however the boxer primers is where my interest lies.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
    RC

Last edited by Riflechair; 07-14-2014 at 10:03 PM.
    Maple Leaf Up!

He mentioned they are about as hard as the Winchester and CCI ones
    People should not have to fear both the government and the criminal. It should be that the criminal fears both the people and the government.

"It's only a rabbit" were his last words....

I had a several light strikes (around 3%) in my G34 with a lightened 4 pound striker spring until I put the extended firing pin in it. I changed over to the extended striker and 2 pound spring and now it goes bang.
    No problems with SP-01 with extended firing pin and light springs.
    AR-15 works well, no primer related issues with these guys.
    I have a case of LR Primers in these.... yet I have not loaded a single one as I am not shooting any 7.62 right now

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    They are not military hardness, no.

OK thanks
    This might be a pipe dream
    BUT
    The first guy to bring LR Milspec primers into the CDN market might hold the record for selling out of new product.

Just saying....

I can get soft primers any where for about $30 per thousand.
    Maple Leaf Up!

Were these out of the same factory where wolf gets them? There was talk of that at some point.. Wolf primers are on the harder side of the widely available stuff..

In terms of "Military" LR primers the only "certified" ones I've heard of (and also can't get) were these.. http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...ers.aspx?id=30.. No can getsies anywhere in Canada that I've found

In my M305 I've been using Winchester LRs without a problem so far, there was some advice about not dropping the bolt on them, but lowering it to like 1/2 closed and then letting it fly.. Who knows.

I recently had a slam fire with Federal Match primers in Win NATO brass so now I'm a little paranoid when it comes to primer hardness. I prefer WLR primers but I've been told the Federal primers were harder? I wish there was a hardness scale for commercial primers for use in gas guns!
    Maple Leaf Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Malaph View Post
    not dropping the bolt on them, but lowering it to like 1/2 closed and then letting it fly.. Who knows.
    Thats fine for the first one, but what do you think the semi-automatic action does to the next 4 in the mag...? I prefer primers that are safe for all 5 shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Riflechair View Post
    I recently had a slam fire with Federal Match primers in Win NATO brass so now I'm a little paranoid when it comes to primer hardness. I prefer WLR primers but I've been told the Federal primers were harder? I wish there was a hardness scale for commercial primers for use in gas guns!
    +1

Definitely, under semi auto I don't know if the bolt reciprocation would be more violent then dropping the bolt from the absolute max *shrug*
    I've also read you should never EVER EVER EVER put one in the chamber and drop the bolt on it for M1As, because the friction of the magazine and round going up the feed ramps slows the bolt.

Who knows, mine hasn't blown up yet, but I sure do like shooting it a lot

IF anyone was to bring in those CCI service rifle primers, I'd buy some.

Also thumbs up for The Hilarious House of Frightenstein lol.

I bought 2 bricks of CCI #41 at Epps about two months ago. I think I payed like $45 a box too, which is not bad considering

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast