Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pros and cons of buying local vs online

It comes down to money and how much is left in my wallet after the transaction. I don't mind waiting for a package in the mail. And when I've had an issue everyone of the online dealers has fixed it no problem. My LGS is not so helpful, basically they told me T.S it's not our problem, all sales are final B.S. I find I usually use the same online vendors and I have never had an issue that didn't get solved. If there were some helpful knowledgeable people working at the local store and I didn't have to take a loan out to buy a box of ammo then it would be a different story. But until then my money is being shopped online.
    "There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened. But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at."

Quote Originally Posted by Robbin Hood View Post
    Support your local business. If it costs more for you to buy it where you live then it costs more for the dealer's to buy where you live... You're just outsourcing from your community... I'm not saying its bad to buy online, but only every now and again. What happens if your gun breaks 1 week in from the internet? A local gunshop you can take it back and they will take care of you. Any reputable dealer will immediately fix your problem...Good luck finding a company online....its just not the same as face-to-face transactions.. Basically, all in all, what you pay extra for in your local gunshop is security and peace of mind..

Sometimes a great deal online is awesome...But sometimes they're too good to be true. At least use extreme caution when purchasing online.

Plus, an online dealer wont recognize your patronage like a local dealer will.
    The top banner has many reputable dealers that I personally have had problems over purchases resolved with, no problem fast prompt service. 7 posts in and your already slagging the support for the forum.
    Last edited by Green Skull; 07-22-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    "There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened. But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at."

CGN Regular
    People are going to hate me, but I browse for firearms in local shop, and buy online if the price end up being cheaper there. I only buy accessories locally.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer RobertMcC's Avatar
    Pro - Can Find Deals, Get What You Want.

Con - Waiting, Add Shipping Cost

Since nobody around here has WHAT I want, I don't buy locally ( well for accessories because never have anything )

I live in Vancouver as well. Develop a relationship with a local store and you'd be surprised what they can do for you. I find with Reliable they do their best to match online price to a point where it's actually cheaper buying from them.

And nothing beats to be able to handle the product and know I can take it back for warranty if needed.

CGN Regular
    I think you might need to look a little harder at your local dealers in the lower mainland. Many are advertisers on this site, and have great pricing. Many of the people on this forum shop online with those same dealers, because they do not live as close to them as you do.

But to answer the "online or not" question: if you don't support the dealers close to you, they can't support you. If you walk in and say "I bought this gun online, and I need help with it" or any number of similar things, they will either tell you their shop rates, or suggest you talk to the manufacturer, importer, or the place you purchased from. Also, when it comes time to head to the range or hunting, and you are out of ammo, where are you going to go? I know my local gun stores tend to have way better ammo price and selection than Canadian Tire and WallyWorld. I'm saving money by supporting them.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Silveragent's Avatar
    The vast majority of my firearms I have bought online. My LGS knows this. But I buy most of my accessories, ammunition and get my smith work done with them so I feel it balances out. I've bought thousands of dollars worth of firearms elsewhere but also supporting my local store with thousands of dollars of other purchases. It's not like I never buy guns from them, just that the ones I am interested in are usually in an inventory somewhere if they don't have it. That said, I have regretted buying some firearms without holding them. And it is hard having a conversation with an online retailer.
    ---
    Home club : PCDHFC, shoots IPSC, black rifles, hunts badly

If its in Canada its local to me. I have zero issues buying from anywhere in Canada. It ONLY depends on what I want, and if YOU have it. If you have it when I casually walk into a store.. perfect. If not.. oh well. I guess I use my phone/pc and order it to be delivered to my doorstep.

I bought 2/3 of my stuff online. The rest local.

Buy local:
    Save on shipping and instant gratification with local, but limited selection of course.

Buy online:
    Get exactly what you want. Shipping extra.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    I buy all my firearms online, the thing is to choose your dealer and establish a trust relation between you and him... When you are loyal to a dealer, he will be with you. Often he will included a couples of extras mags or give you an extra 5% discount you end up paying a lot less then anywere esle... Buying online is no different than a trust relation with a close person, a given word is a respected word on both side, i would not change a thing... JP.PS: a couple of times i did not like my buy, i was sended a CP return all paid so, i dont really care not seeing it up front, i aint loosing on any side...
    Last edited by caramel; 07-22-2014 at 10:13 PM.

you are in a location where you should be able to find what you want locally. I buy a lot online because none of the local stores where I live carry anything I want. my top 3 no questions asked online places are Wolverine and two shops that are local to you LOL hi calibur services and wainstals. Sometimes it helps to shop both. I was shopping for a mossberg 715 a while back and found a great deal online. went into my local shop and asked to see one. they sold out of them but agreed to bring one in for me and they matched the price I had found online. sometimes it works out.
    NFA member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast