Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pros and cons of buying local vs online

Pros and cons of buying local vs online

Hi everyone,

I live in Vancouver and have noticed that firearms, just like everything else in this city, costs more here. If I purchase online from another province and pay a lower price, don't have to pay provincial sales tax, and only have to pay shipping/insurance as extra costs I save around $50-$100. I can also buy from my home and it's delivered to my home. Am I missing something? Are there advantages to buying local? Is the process more difficult or take longer?

Thanks

You don't get to physically see the firearm until you already own it if you buy online.
    If its a gun that you've never seen before I would suggest purchasing from a local store!
    I was set on buying a Beretta 92 a couple years ago. I went to the store to buy it, and was basically disgusted with the size of the grips. (Did not buy it!)
    If you really know what you want, don't hesitate to buy online from a reputable dealer.

I would say its more straight forward to buy locally. Walk in, choose your gun, show your pal, walk out with the gun (for non-restricted's)
    If your buying a restricted gun, I find it more convenient to order online.

CGN Regular
    I only buy local. As mention, I like to inspect the gun before purchasing. If I am expected to buy without inspection, I pass even if the deal is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by L1911 View Post
    I only buy local. As mention, I like to inspect the gun before purchasing. If I am expected to buy without inspection, I pass even if the deal is really good.
    Defiantly some truth here.
    I almost walked out the store with a new marlin that had quite a bit of rust in the trigger group.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by L1911 View Post
    When possible this is good advice^^^. That said, reputable online dealers are usually not a problem...

I've bought tons from, Ellwood Epps, online and in person, Both restricted and non never had an issue, Wolverine supplies has taken very good care of me as well with all my orders. I like to buy local when I can and support my community if its a fair price, I don't mind paying a little more for the service and opportunity to handle the item sometimes

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Zedbra's Avatar
    This debate could be used for all business, as the online retail world is shutting down box stores left, right, and centre.

Pros for supporting LGS:

Hands-on the products before buying
    You get to see items you may not have known about
    You build rapport with a store, they tend to help you out
    Any new gun issues a local store will help
    Some let you try different glass until you get what you like
    I find pricing to be very similar to online
    No wait times - walk in, walk out with product
    More choices - we have a lot of LGS to chose from - for now

Cons:

If one person in the shop bothers you, you may not want to go back
    They have so many nice options I spend more than I want to

Pros for online:

It's cheaper.
    You may buy less (but you may buy more, thinking it's a deal).
    Sometimes offer odd-ball items stores don't carry

Cons:

They will eventually shut down brick and mortar stores, leaving you no options. What will pricing be like then?
    Wait time for shipping - and sometimes confusing delivery costs.

There are probably more to list, but that is what comes to mind here before I head out to work. In the end, support the local shops so that we have the choice of local shops in the future. I know I do.

BANNED
    Added time if there's something wrong. And you will pay the return shipping. Chance of the package going missing, etc, etc. Biggest one is your local shop(s) closing due to a lack of business. Plus if you buy ammo or reloading components, the cost will increase significantly due to shipping costs and that will negate any savings. Said shipping costs are not set by the seller either.

Thank you all for the replies. I will be buying local at least for my first purchase and see from there. Your insights were helpful and greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Support your local business. If it costs more for you to buy it where you live then it costs more for the dealer's to buy where you live... You're just outsourcing from your community... I'm not saying its bad to buy online, but only every now and again. What happens if your gun breaks 1 week in from the internet? A local gunshop you can take it back and they will take care of you. Any reputable dealer will immediately fix your problem...Good luck finding a company online....its just not the same as face-to-face transactions.. Basically, all in all, what you pay extra for in your local gunshop is security and peace of mind..

Sometimes a great deal online is awesome...But sometimes they're too good to be true. At least use extreme caution when purchasing online.

Plus, an online dealer wont recognize your patronage like a local dealer will.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast