Thread: Vancouver Range Recommendation

Vancouver Range Recommendation

Hi Guys,

I'm a new gun owner and I would like to join a local range. The two I have in mind are TMSA and the Port Coquitlam & District Hunting & Fishing Club as they're the two closest ranges to my home. I would mostly be shooting on the weekends and in the evenings after work.

I had a chance to try out the TMSA public range on a weekend. I liked it and it wasn't busy at all. The only negative I could see is that the range only works until 5 on weekdays so I'd only have the option of shooting on the weekends.

I haven't visited the port Coquitlam range yet. I will try to do so in the near future. I've heard it get quiet busy. On the plus side they have evening hours.

I don't think I can justify memberships to both ranges at this time so I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have that would help me out in choosing one of these ranges.

Cheers,

Mik

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Silveragent's Avatar
    I am a member at Poco but have shot at TMSA many times for competition. I enjoy both for different reasons.

Poco pros:

- Facilities are very nice. In the winter heated public range. Real bathrooms for men and women. Lighting. Well maintained ranges. There is a large clubhouse as well as a smaller traphouse, both with kitchen facilities for special events.
    - aside from the large public range (and a hopefully soon to open additional public range) there are five smaller private ranges closed to the public.
    - large staff including diligent ROs and a live in groundskeeper. When you get to know them and they you, they will watch your back and sometimes save your bacon. I can attest to that.
    - 200m range for sighting in
    - a great archery 3D range (I'm told, since I am not an archer)
    - big parking lot for the many events
    - active subcomittees in IPSC, Trap, LEAP, PPC, smallbore, archery and some others I may have forgotten
    - events that take over the lower ranges happen fairly frequently
    - large membership means there is always interest in how things are run (though please see Cons)
    - by and large black rifles are welcome at the public range. And there is no dumb rules about rapid fire. Just watch where your brass is going and let your neighbour sight in their rifle without interrupting.
    - range office sells targets if you forgot them.

Cons:

- very busy on weekends. Typically a lineup forms before opening so if you do not get there at least 30m in advance you may still not get a bay. You might be waiting an hour or more for one to open up. Obviously there are worse times than others. Before hunting season for example. Recently they had to restrict public access to starting at noon to give members more chance to get in.
    - the public range can become a bit of a zoo since it sells day cards to the public. If you go regularly chances are you will see curious views on gun handling consequently dealt with by barking by the ROs. Evenings are very nice though.
    - an abundance of rules and practices that someone who is used to doing things under their own supervision will take time to get used to.
    - because of its size, Poco attracts a greater share of the scrutiny from the CFO, leading to the above rules
    - shotguns may only be patterned on the lower ranges. Slugs only in the main public range.
    - there are some required courses that members need to get through to get more freedom. On top of a new members course, one to gain access to the lower ranges for self-supervision, one for being able to holster and a certification process. Of course fees for all of these.
    - club politics can be quite something as learned by anyone who has volunteered for any of the subcommittees or who has dug deeper into issues that erupt at the AGMs can attest to.
    - hard to get internet access.
    - and finally, there is the encroaching danger from development that is leaping up the sides of Burke Mountain. My attitude is to enjoy the present.
    ---
    Home club : PCDHFC, shoots IPSC, black rifles, hunts badly

Thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated. I'll check POCO out. The facilities do look great but I'm definitely not a fan of big crowds.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Silveragent's Avatar
    Check it out one evening or late in the afternoon on the weekends, then.
    ---
    Home club : PCDHFC, shoots IPSC, black rifles, hunts badly

Great info Silveragent. I just went up there yesterday and it was great! POCO range is a bit far for me, but I don't have much options being in Vancouver.

How are the weekdays like?