Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question: This a Good Buy / price for my 1st Good Rifle Custom-Daniel-Defense-M4V7-55

If your budget is big enough for 2 at 2500, you're better off to get one superior. Check out ATRS they will set you up with a precision rig and the best optic for your needs. You will not be disappointed.
    Btw, imo, that video of the KAC is definitely being shot full auto - just watch the trigger finger, only vibrating from the recoil.
    "You can get more done with a kind word and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone." ~ Al Capone
    CSAAA ADFGA

BANNED
    If you are so new and unknowledgeable to this, you definitely should not be buying something over the internet, then asking a bunch of strangers on the internet for advice after the fact. You should have gone into a decent reputable gun shop, looked at options and gotten advice, then left without buying anything. Check around, make sure the advice was good, as well as the prices, then gone back. As far as shooting an AR, as a beginner, you should go to a range that rents them and try them out. Then get something more 'starter-level', like a norc. (But, hey... if you have the cash). As far as optics, again, for an AR, you can only shoot at a range, most scopes are needless. Just like the others here said, you should have considered a CQB sight.

Do you know any experienced shooters in real life that can help you?
    Last edited by thewolfchild; 07-20-2014 at 03:08 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RPgunguy View Post
    If your budget is big enough for 2 at 2500, you're better off to get one superior. Check out ATRS they will set you up with a precision rig and the best optic for your needs. You will not be disappointed.
    Btw, imo, that video of the KAC is definitely being shot full auto - just watch the trigger finger, only vibrating from the recoil.
    He is actually shooting semi lol

CGN Regular
    To the original poster. Go to range open house events and try out guns.... Have friends with AR? Try theirs. When I shopped for handgun I went to a local range and asked them to rent me 15 different handguns to try. The feel is based on personal preference. Your budget also dictates what you can get. But I suggest to buy the best you can. Especially for optics. Bushnell is very budget oriented. It's not bad. But eye relief, (how close your eye has to be to the scope ocular to see the whole sight picture), is not great especially if u wear prescription glasses.

I suggest picking out the AR you want first... If they come with iron sights use those and practice with that first. Once u know the characteristics of your firearm you can look into optics. Depending on which type of shooting you do your optics choice will vastly vary... If you just gonna put rounds on bullseye all day, you want something magnified like the vortex Viper or razor... Or even Leopold mark 6 if u want a scope that's more than your rifle lol. You may want to pursue 3 gun or tactical rifle shooting where u need close in target engagement and mid to long range with dynamic movements... Then u might want to run the red dot with the Magnifier OR A fixed magnification 3.5x or 4.0x trijicon acog with a 45 degree offset red dot or irons.

From person experience shooting a 9 inch steel plate at 200m with only irons or a 2moa red dot is highly repeatable.... So do you need magnification? That's up to you. Maybe if you want to see the holes u made then yes you need magnified optic.... Or you can get a spotting scope but that's another discussion.

In summary

Step 1: try shooting as many before you even look at what you think you want to buy
    Step 2: buy only the rifle (and the cleaning kit of course =)) and 500 to 1k worth of ammo... Shot and try different types of shooting
    Step 3: look into optics purchase based on the sport you decide to pursue. Set your budget and get the best you can get for the money that suits your needs.
    step 4: you will buy other types of firearms and come back to CGN to ask us which to get =)

Be safe. Have fun.

CGN frequent flyer Familygunnutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RPgunguy View Post
    Hehe, I can assure you he is shooting semi, he knows how to ride the trigger reset that's for sure.
    But the main focus here is the KAC sr25's recoil, or lack thereof, it's chambered in 308 just in case the op doesn't know.
    Get some!!! ^^

Thx all
    You are all very knowledgeable , and very helpful. I'm impressed with the quality of your replies, and the trouble you put yourself trough to write it
    very appreciated!

I know doing the internet things is what it is, but in Ottawa, there's nothing for me to consult / try out. Unless I'm completely out to Lunch, there is nothing in Ottawa.

I am a member of the RA Gun Club, and they do have some advice, but not too much for this type of request.
    SO I need to read all of this again ad again, and think about this some more

I am finding it so hard to start, with the dearth of resource sin this (urban, anti-gun) area of Canada

KAC, I'm not familiar with that brand, I suppose a boutique brand of high end rifles? When I last participated in this hobby, COlt, S&W and stuff was the Top end

Thx gang
    All advice welcome, this is a great start
    Jean-M

CGN Regular
    KAC = Knights Armament Company

CGN Regular
    In the AR arena Knights, Noveske, LaRue are pretty much top tier, the prices speak for themselves. These typically have added features like ambidextrous controls, proprietary bolt designs and gas systems and unique handguards and rails.

The mid-high, you're looking at Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM), Daniel Defense, Colt. Most of these follow military specifications in terms of materials, dimensions and manufacturing processes.

Mid would be S&W m&P line

Lower end would be Stag Arms (some are mil-spec, some aren't)

Mil-spec doesn't mean too much tho, but as long as the gun has the mil-spec dimensions then that's what you want so that whatever you decide to add to it will work.
    Most of the mid-top tier ARs will have good materials and some exceed the durability requirements of mil-spec. (go onto youtube and search mil-spec and there will be a TON of videos)

Watch the NSZ85 youtube channel, that guy knows his ARs and he has very detailed breakdown of what each and every part of the gun does, what mil-spec is and why you might not need mil-spec or exceed it. And if you fancy building one yourself he has step by step instructions as well.

imo, you can't go wrong with whichever rifle made by mid to high end manufacturers, it all depends on the functions and also the aesthetics that you want.

If you want some additional info that I've gained through my research or experiences, don't hesitate to pm me.

CGN Regular
    delete. double post

Thx gunnie for the superb info, and the help offer

I will probably take you up on that once I do more research

Thx again
    JMG

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast