Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Merkel Double Rifle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Are there double rifles made with single selective triggers? Preferably in this "working-man's" price range? Or are double triggers the norm?

I'm in the nascent stages of planning a Safari for 2 or 3 years hence, and while I have 1 rifle which would do the job, the gun nut in me covets a double rifle for that adventure. My experience with double shotguns shows that I have a strong preference to a single-selective trigger if I can have one.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin9934 View Post
    wish you could have it in 375 HH
    You can, but we have found from past experience that the majority of customers who are looking for a Safari rifle in .375 will purchase a CZ550 (or similar) as they are a fraction of the price. We will only bring in Merkel DR in .375 to special order and require a deposit with order. Double rifles are recommended to be chambered in rimmed cartridges rather than rimless, so in .375 I would recommend the .375 Flanged (Rimmed) rather than the rimless .375 H&H. The .375 FL is only slightly less powerful that the .375 H&H.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
    Are there double rifles made with single selective triggers? Preferably in this "working-man's" price range? Or are double triggers the norm?

I'm in the nascent stages of planning a Safari for 2 or 3 years hence, and while I have 1 rifle which would do the job, the gun nut in me covets a double rifle for that adventure. My experience with double shotguns shows that I have a strong preference to a single-selective trigger if I can have one.
    No, the vast majority of double rifles are built with double triggers. The reason for this is that a double rifle with two triggers has two completely independent sets of lock work, you do in fact have "two" rifles in one stock, this gives the operator the ultimate in "back up" should one cartridge or "barrel" fail. Remember that large caliber double rifles were designed to be used against large dangerous game animals at what today would be considered point blank ranges! and the hunter, in the "old days", seldom if ever had a PH for back up. Whilst I accept that a failure is highly unlikely with todays ammo and rifles it was a consideration in the "old days" when some of these rifles lived in the bush for months at a time and access to parts or a gunsmith was not possible. If something failed mechanical the rifle could still be used as a single shot. In my personal opinion the double trigger is part of the "Mystic" of the double rifle design which comes to us from a bygone era.
    Last edited by Mr Wolverine; 07-27-2014 at 10:25 AM.

BANNED
    .500 NE - Now that's a Varmint Rifle. Nothing to clean up afterward.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Thanks John. With the reliability and general excellence of the firearms we use today, I didn't even think about the double locks being a redundant backup.

Nice rifles. The one on the bottom appears to have a slimmer forend. Can you do a close up of the colour case hardened one?
    Thanks

Some close up views of a Merkel 140 Safari (470 NE) with the colour case hardened action.

All the forearms have the same profile, I think the camera angle and light may appear to make them look different.

Nice clear photos of a great rifle. Thanks John!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12