Thread: Ruger 1911 issue

Ruger 1911 issue

Okay so I was using the SR1911 as usual no issues. I used the mag with the flat bottom, and every single time it jams. Switch back the the other mag with a higher capacity (still the one that came with the firearm) and it works perfectly. I put snap caps into both mags, with one it worked well, with the other constant jams. It actually jammed the snap cap in there so good I had to get a small dowel and whack it from the barrel end just to get it out. It did that 1 more time right after I cleared it. I just pulled out that mag tried again with the other one and it worked perfectly.

I just came into possession of this firearm and it was labeled as new. I feel like its not extracting well. Or maybe its the mag spring.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BANNED
    I would check if you can see any difference in the mag, lips, shape or whatever between the two. It has to be where the problem is. I heard of another similar problem with another firearm that had rounded side where the bullet is located (bullet side) and the one that worked best had square side. check for any difference. I doubt that a spring would be the culprit it would have to be a really soft spring not to be able to push the next bullet fast enough
    You could also check internet if anyone else had the same problem and what they did to resolve it.

I had that issue with the 8 round mag. How long have you had it? They sometimes just need to be broken in. I loaded up the 8 rounder and left it for a couple weeks fully stacked. I Took it to the range and in functioned flawlessly, never had an issue since.
    "There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened. But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at."

BANNED
    Best to ask on the handgun forum.
    However, it's most likely the mag lips are a wee bit bent. Fixes with needle nose pliers. Just a wee tweak open over the whole length of the lips.

Quote Originally Posted by kobs View Post
    I would check if you can see any difference in the mag, lips, shape or whatever between the two. It has to be where the problem is. I heard of another similar problem with another firearm that had rounded side where the bullet is located (bullet side) and the one that worked best had square side. check for any difference. I doubt that a spring would be the culprit it would have to be a really soft spring not to be able to push the next bullet fast enough
    You could also check internet if anyone else had the same problem and what they did to resolve it.
    All the sides of the mag look identical. They have the same spacing and shape. I did a bunch of Google searches and didn't come up with anything similar to my issue. (I don't really know what terminology to use to correctly search for this problem.)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Skull View Post
    I had that issue with the 8 round mag. How long have you had it? They sometimes just need to be broken in. I loaded up the 8 rounder and left it for a couple weeks fully stacked. I Took it to the range and in functioned flawlessly, never had an issue since.
    This is something that I read while I was doing Google searches. Sometimes they just need to be broken in. The mag in question is BRAND new. I JUST tried it yesterday for the first time. I loaded the mag up with snap caps. I noticed the spring on the new mag is noticeably stiffer. I just loaded the mag with snap caps. Lets see if a week of sitting with something in them helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    Best to ask on the handgun forum.
    However, it's most likely the mag lips are a wee bit bent. Fixes with needle nose pliers. Just a wee tweak open over the whole length of the lips.
    I have heard that these tiny changes can alter the performance. I will take some pictures of it jammed with snap caps if it does it while I test it today. Whatever happens I'll post it in the handgun forum and see if someone can help me rid myself of this gremlin..

Thank you all for your input and suggestions, I really appreciate all the help..