Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: NAM Style M-16

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporting Lad View Post
    Yeah, I thot of doing that too, before I knew what those LR conversions cost.
    WOW, but for that kind of money I could have a new 10/22 and a few 25 rnd mags
    instead!
    They aren't giving them away that's for sure...
    About $350 shipped for the stainless unit with one 25 round mag. Extra mags are about $30 so not too bad.
    Questar does have sales from time to time.... I got a used stainless unit with a few mags a while back off the EE for a bit less then half that but now I need to buy an AR!

CGN Regular

Post Do you see what eye see?

Quote Originally Posted by GUB View Post
    I must be "OLD SCHOOL" I don't have one optic on any of my Black rifles!! I even took a scope off my Mini-30!! Every bolt gun and lever has a optic!!! I can't figure it out???
    Your eyesight must be a lot better than mine. I'm so "Old School" that optics are not a fashion statement, but a necessity.
    I used to be an 'irons sights only man'. When I was 19 I qualified as an "Expert Rifeman" on an M-1 (Garand). I'd hit centre of mass at 350 yards with the USGI aperture sights. But that was then and this is now. Sadly, those days are gone for me. Now I can barely even see a target at 300, and no pair of corrective lenses is going to help that
    Some kind of optic is the only option for me if I'm to continue shooting. Anything else is just a waste of ammo.

Looks as if the brass deflector is a no go for lefty's! Can anyone comfirm this?
    PAL is required for all ammo/firearms sales immediately after buyer states "I'll take it". Failure to do so will result in the loss of your first to claim it position. Shipping insurance is extra and must be requested.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Oh what the hell, here's mine I built from scratch :D

It's the s**t! lol I wouldn't want any other configuration, lazers, scopes and barbie doll accessories are ghay and they don't make you shoot any better

It's my only AR and I shoot the hell out of her. I handle it rough and toss it around at the range on purpose to get the finish more worn lol
    Hi, Travis!
    I think your rifle looks really good. Sorry, but IDK what yu mean by "...I built from scratch." Is what I'm looking at a rifle that started out as one of these DA556s, or did you start it in a blacksmith shop?
    Would you explain how your rifle came to look as it does?
    Cheers!
    SL

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Your eyesight must be a lot better than mine. I'm so "Old School" that optics are not a fashion statement, but a necessity.
    I used to be an 'irons sights only man'. When I was 19 I qualified as an "Expert Rifeman" on an M-1 (Garand). I'd hit centre of mass at 350 yards with the USGI aperture sights. But that was then and this is now. Sadly, those days are gone for me. Now I can barely even see a target at 300, and no pair of corrective lenses is going to help that
    Some kind of optic is the only option for me if I'm to continue shooting. Anything else is just a waste of ammo.
    M-1 ? U.S. military vet? Vietnam vet? Did you ever shoot the original M-16?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by GUB View Post
    M-1 ? U.S. military vet? Vietnam vet? Did you ever shoot the original M-16?
    Thx for your interest, GUB. You can read About Me in my Profile. I had an issue M-14 for three years. When we heard that the
    US Army's new main battle rifle was to be a plastic .22 we laughed. We thot it was an April Fool's joke! A plastic .22? Really?? HA-HA!
    So, no, I never shot the original M-16. I wish I had. Then I'd be better able to compare it to the M-14. But I digress...

The Point I am trying to make is that I'm no longer able to use iron sights with any degree of accuracy. Otherwise i wouldn't need to have an optic.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    The thing that concerns me about this variant is the non-removable carrying handle.
    As such, how could we mount optics?
    You don't lol

There is a wonky scope mount for the original A1 handle actually. It makes for a really high sight line.

The AR15 is a battle rifle at its core. It was designed/made to easily hit a man sized target out to 300 meters in this configuration.

It's not for everyone that's for sure, I hate optics and scopes personally, all my rifles are iron sights.

When my eyes get old I'll have to adapt I suppose lol

Anyhow, there is a possibility to mount a scope on the A1, it's just definitely not the "most practical" result.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

CGN Regular

Question What is that?

Quote Originally Posted by #1bcshooter View Post
    They are Norinco made in China .
    But if you can find the right USGI parts you can make a bastard of your own
    It's not as easy as some say though

[[/IMG]
    Thx for your reply, #1bc. Now please explain to me the rifle in your pics. Did one of these DA556s form the basic platform for it, or is yours something else entirely?

SL

Hi, Travis!
    I think your rifle looks really good. Sorry, but IDK what yu mean by "...I built from scratch." Is what I'm looking at a rifle that started out as one of these DA556s, or did you start it in a blacksmith shop?
    Would you explain how your rifle came to look as it does?
    Cheers!
    SL
    Started with a stripped lower DPMS (all I could find at the time during the "great AR drought of 2012" lol)
    I pieced it together from there with mil-spec parts kit.
    The upper is an actual USGI complete upper receiver LM marked, it came complete with the original A1 parts, tear drop forward assist, ejection port and rear sight assembly.
    Then I had to source a Colt SP1 1:12 pencil barrel, that took some time.
    Then the flat delta ring I picked up from the U.S.
    Same with the 3 prong suppressor but that part is actually a repro.
    The furniture is actual USGI surplus A1 parts I got from the U.S. as well for pretty cheap.

Took me a while to build it. I had at one time a 20" Gov Profile barrel on her actually because I had given up on trying to find a pencil barrel complete lol

I love it though, it shoots very well, very light, extremely well balanced, the pencil barrel makes it easier and just as fast to bring to the shoulder as some of the short thick carbine barrels to me anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by stvjeep View Post
    Looks as if the brass deflector is a no go for lefty's! Can anyone comfirm this?
    Without the deflector the brass on mine goes straight out the side to the 3 o'clock position.
    Wouldn't be too bad depending on how you hold the rifle I suppose.