Thread: NEW Fenix HL50 in depth review

CGN frequent flyer

NEW Fenix HL50 in depth review

Due to a camera issue this review is currently without pics. However, they will be added the moment my digital issues are solved.

I was selected as one of the global testers for the new Fenix HL50 headlamp. Part of the reason I was selected is that I test products for a living and have extensive experience with unbiased and technical reviews. My day job is hosting Dirttrax and Snowtrax Television, broadcast all across north america on OLN and The Outdoor channel. With that said, I am nothing more than an average user when it comes to personal lighting equipment. In my opinion, this is one reason my review is helpful. Its an honest breakdown of my real life experiences with this product. The very same experience you could expect to have upon purchasing it. So without further delay, here are my thoughts on the Fenix HL50 Headlamp.

Ive owned dozens of head lamps over the years. Some specifically for camping, others just to have around the home incase the power goes out. I like technology and im into big horsepower so the higher tech it is and the more lumens its capable of putting out, the better I like it. However, there is a threshold where too much technology or too much power become a hinderence. This is when good, ol’ fashioned usefulness becomes paramount. And, in my opinion, this is where Fenix’s new HL50 comes in.

Upon opening the package I found the light and headstrap, a 2nd, extended AA battery cap, spare battery cap oring and the manual. The light itself is round like a traditional flash light and its quite small with a single LED mounted on the side of the housing and the pressure switch on the end. The HL50 comes with the shorter CR123 battery cap installed.
    CR123 batteries are not easy to find where I live and they are certainly not cheap. Which is why I felt the inclusion of a AA battery cap and sleeve adapter are a fantastic idea. The average user may have no experience with CR123 cells but more importantly, EVERYONE has a pile of AA’s laying around. In my opinion, the simple fact that this light can run off a single AA battery gets it huge bonus points.

The head strap is easy to adjust and is comfortable. The light is not heavy so the strap holds it firmly in place. A metal bracket holds the light onto the strap. The bracket itself is just a thin stamped steal piece the light snaps into. An additional stamped steel lock ring slips on under the battery cap so the light cant fall off the bracket.The light is round and is removeable from the bracket. Aiming the light is accomplished by simply rotating it up or down in the bracket. Its simple and effective and im sure its very durable, albeit a little unexciting.

All light functions are activated by a single pressure switch on the wearers right side of the light. There are 3 constant brightness settings that are selected in sequence. One press turns the light on to whatever setting was selected when it was turned off. Single presses cycle through the brightness settings and a long press turns the light off at any of the brightness settings. A 365 lumen burst setting can be activated by pressing and holding the pressure switch in any of the 3 standard modes but it only lasts as long as you hold down the button. Once released the light returns to whatever level it was at when you activated burst mode.

I found the lowest setting to be just barely adequate in a pitch black room. Outside at night, even on an overcast night, it was almost useless. The middle setting was perfect for navigation and simple tasks in a dark room and fine for simple navigation or close up tasks out side at night. The high setting, claimed to be 170 lumens, illuminated a dark room completely and was more than enough for any outdoor nighttime task. I even went jogging on a moonless night and found the high setting to be perfect.

One of the limitations to a single battery light like this one is battery life. On a single AA battery youll get about 2 hours on high… which is the most realistically useful setting. Over 6 hours on medium is excellent and would be fine in an emergency. The low level run time is impressive but unrealistic in my opinion as the light output at this level is barely useable. Youll get an extra %30 run time by using a quality CR123 cell. **The following information has been clarified by Notosora-Fenix in post #4 of this thread. Thanks for clearing up my confusion. It all makes perfect sense now **Oddly enough, the manual specifically states all forms of rechargeable 123 or AA cells are “banned” from use in this light. Non rechargeable Lithium CR123 or AA cells are recommended. I can't imagine why a rechargeable cell would cause any problems and I notice on the Fenix website they sell this light in a package with rechargeable cells. So, this may simply be an oversight in the description.

My overall impression of this headlamp package as a whole is that it offers all the most important features youll need when you need them most but non of the “extras” that are “nice to have sometimes". Its also a very small and lightweight setup which means it can easily be carried or stored almost anywhere. All this at a price that is easy to afford and reflects its level of simplicity. After spending some quality time with this light under all different circumstances I can honestly say the fact that its so small and simple is one of its most endearing qualities. Sure, Fenix makes far more high tech, powerful and feature laden head lamps that will undoubtedly appeal the hairy chested, man cave dwellers among us (myself included). Im sure any one of them would provide more performance than the HL50 and if your anything like me, you'll probably end up owning both. But with more features and performance comes more complexity and, when you reach for a light, at a time when you’ve got better things to think about, simplicity may be the most important feature of all. It may be hard for your ego to accept, but the HL50 is all the light you need when you need it most.

Feel free to comment on this review and/or ask any further questions you may have. Im happy to help any way I can. Pictures will be up shortly.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 08-11-2014 at 10:33 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    Thanks for the in depth review
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    Looks like I might be doing some shopping! Thanks pavmentsurfer!

Expired Business Member
    Hi pavmentsurfer

First congratulations on being selected, I'm glad you are happy with the performance of the HL50 headlamp

I just want to clear up some confusion regarding AA rechargeable batteries and the HL50
    Oddly enough, the manual specifically states all forms of rechargeable 123 or AA cells are “banned” from use in this light. Non rechargeable Lithium CR123 or AA cells are recommended. I can't imagine why a rechargeable cell would cause any problems and I notice on the Fenix website they sell this light in a package with rechargeable cells. So, this may simply be an oversight in the description.
    On the manufactures website www.fenixlight.com they show the specs for this light we also show it on our site as well http://www.notosora.com/fenix/fenix-hl50-headlamp/

·Uses one 3V CR123A Lithium battery or AA (Ni-MH, Alkaline) battery

The user manual can also be downloaded here: HL50

With AA power used in this light Ni-MH are the preferred AA both for runtimes and they will perform better in colder weather vs. Alkaline ( you also run the risk of Alkaline leaking ) Lithium AA batteries can also be used in this headlamp

I notice on the Fenix website they sell this light in a package with rechargeable cells.
    I think you may have been looking at a retailers website as Fenix does not offer any product for retail sale

CGN frequent flyer
    Ahh, that clears things up. After looking over the manual again thinking more about batteries in general I see why the specific ones are banned. They output more than 3 volts... makes sense. I think what threw me off was that the NIMH listing doesnt say "rechargeable"... though I know NIMH cells are...

And your right, I was looking another, non corporate website with the included batteries. Best to stick to a Canadian retailer so you know what your getting.

I have to say, a huge benefit of buying Fenix equipment is having direct access to someone from the company to answer any questions you might have... right on this board. You'll never have to wonder about anything. Just post and get your answers.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 08-12-2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: to remove unintentional outside advertising

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    I wonder if 14505 cells could be used? They're 3v AA size non rechargeable cells.
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Mitchell View Post
    I wonder if 14505 cells could be used? They're 3v AA size non rechargeable cells.
    Hey G.Mitchell

14500 are listed as banned I would also think the 14505 you mention should not be used. If a battery is not listed as useable in the manual I would not try it as you run the risk of damaging the light (this would not be covered under warranty)
    HL50 manual can be downloaded from post #4

Thanks