Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Port Coquitlam and District Hunting and Fishing Club

Port Coquitlam and District Hunting and Fishing Club

Can someone with a membership at the Poco Gun Club up Burke Mountain tell me a bit about it? I would love to hear about the range itself and actual benefits for membership, how open membership is, gatherings/parties that happen within the club. Anything, really! Rave on! Pros and cons are welcome too.

Good club but busy.

Also likely living on borrowed time due to housing development in the area.

You can get a day pass as a non member and check it out for yourself.

I saw the plans for housing... Kind of a bonehead move on the city's part but everyone on council wants those extra property tax dollars *sigh* Someday we will live in a world not controlled by money but not in my lifetime.

I have a few friends who have very recently outed themselves as members! They said they would take me.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Silveragent's Avatar
    The weird thing about the development plans is that on one side of the range there's no way they can build on it. It's too steep. Yet someone bought that plot.
    ---
    Home club : PCDHFC, shoots IPSC, black rifles, hunts badly

Hmmm... Well, in my own opinion, to own land doesn't really mean you have to build on it. I consider land as spacing between the stacks upon stacks of people. In a perfect world, I would buy a farm. In a real world scenario here, I would by my quarter acre lot and the neighboring ones as well, hill or not.

I'm a member. It is busy on the public range (on weekends) but it's members only between 9am-12pm right now so it's not too bad during those times (non-members can still go between 9am-12pm but they must be accompanied by a member and must share/shoot in the same lane)

My advice like others, is to get a day pass, check it out, and ask a member or RO to check out the lower ranges with you on a quick walk.

I only go to the public range if I need to sight in an optic past 50 yards (it's the longest range there at 200m) or if I bring a friend to go shooting. Other then that I only use the private lower ranges as I'm not a big fan of crowds, and it helps free up space for non-members to shoot.

Start with the website: hxxp://pcdhfc.com/
    It has lots of good information to get you started before you head up.
    "You may not like guns. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. But if someone breaks into your home, the first two things you are going to do are… Call someone with a gun and Pray they get there in time." - Unknown

If you like sitting around WAITING a lot, its a good place to go.

If you don't have black badge, don't even think about bringing a holster there, an believe they want you to take their own holster course on top of that.

Also to use anything other then range 7 the main public range, you need to take a "range user course", even tho when you take the new member course they outline everything about the other ranges and their rules of operations.

I on occasion go there to shoot if a friend of mine who is on the board of directors and is an active RO is working, otherwise I go out to the bush.

Currently on the waiting list for Abby Fish & Game club so I can use a holster freely without any extra non-sense.

Overall Poco is a decent facility but wait times can get to you at times.

Hmmm... Well, in my own opinion, to own land doesn't really mean you have to build on it. I consider land as spacing between the stacks upon stacks of people. In a perfect world, I would buy a farm. In a real world scenario here, I would by my quarter acre lot and the neighboring ones as well, hill or not.
    That makes sense. If whoever wants to spend the money on it wants to preserve the view. *sigh*
    ---

CGN Regular
    I was a member for 5 to 6 years. I gave it up 2 years ago due to how busy it is. It is a decent range just a very frustrating place to shoot. If you do the course to allow access to the lower ranges it is better but I dont think you can shoot hi powered hunting rifles on them (cant remeber for sure).

I also find this range at times IMO attracts some less desirable sport shooters that are a little shaddy. I will leave it at that. The RO's can also be less than polite but also maybe for that reason.

We need more ranges in the Lowermainland! Especially to dial in a hunting rifle and not have to wait an hour in line for it.

PROTIP: Evenings the range is only a third used. Sight in the evenings and you can pick your table.
    ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast