Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on target shooting semi automatic shotgun capacity

Clarification on target shooting semi automatic shotgun capacity

I've done some searching and as far as I can tell, in canada while target shooting, semi automatic shotguns are limited to maximum 5 round capacity....

True?

Very true.

AFAIK it's 5 rounds at the range, and 3 rounds in the woods hunting (if that's your thing) and it had better be blocked to 3 if a CO finds you in the woods.

Semi automatic shotgun magazines are limited to 5 rounds of longest shell written on the barrel.
    The 3 rounds is the federal legislation for migratory birds (and that's total in the firearm, which includes the chamber and ghost loading), but there could be provincial regulations, check them out.
    -gosse

Quote Originally Posted by superz View Post
    I've done some searching and as far as I can tell, in canada while target shooting, semi automatic shotguns are limited to maximum 5 round capacity....

True?
    FWIW, every clay target club I've shot at in Ontario restricts the number of shells in the gun to no more than two. When shooting clays at our club load more than two and you'll warned. Do it again and you'll be gone.

CGN Regular
    Clay targets limited to two..but there are other disciplines of shotgun that aren't limited. 3 gun and other practical shooting would not have the same 2 shell limit.

But to answer your question again, you are correct. Target shooting is 5 rounds.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Magazines for semiauto centerfire rifles and shotguns are limited to 5 of whatever cartridge they are designed for. Thus, if your shotgun is designed to hold 5 of 3.5" shells, and you decide to put in 7 2.5" shells, that is legally allowed because the shotgun magazine still cannot hold more than 5 of the 3.5" shells it is designed for.

However, as mentioned many clubs have their own regulations, and many people get confused by all of the various rules and just default to the lowest number.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

BANNED
    Clays, skeet/trap, three gun IPSC/IDPA shoots. All different shooting games with different rules. Hunting regs are different by Province. Migratory Bird Act says 3 rounds in the shotgun by Federal law while hunting migratory birds(ducks and geese mostly). Ontario, says 3 for hunting anything. So where you are matters for hunting. Otherwise the FA applies. This not covered on your PAL course?

I knew all of the above but recently had 2 people tell me extended mags on semi automatics were totally legal for target shooting even when I said I thought it was 5 max.... so I thought I had missed something...

No, they were misinformed, extended tubes on pump actions are fine, but semi-autos have a hard limit of 5 that you can't ever go over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast