Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanstalls Exclusive: 12" Tombstone SxS Shotgun

"Insert Mother Of God meme here"
    "Are you silly? I’m still gonna send it..."
    -Larry Enticer

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Daniel,
    Simple and cost effective makes sense.
    I'm guessing that in the interest of cost effectiveness these barrels are not custom regulated for their shorter 12 inch length.

What's your thought on the min 305mm BC hunting requirement?

Also can you address these questions?

So many different options it's hard to please everyone...

So many different options it's hard to please everyone...

Wanstalls, have you guys had a chance to pattern the barrels or at least gotten positive feedback from the factory testing?

Way to many short guns arriving in this country with poorly regulated barrels and sights.

How is the barrel selection done?

Way to many short guns arriving in this country with poorly regulated barrels and sights.

How is the barrel selection done?

BANNED
    Can somebody, anybody, explain what a trapper, any trapper, would want with a short 12?

CGN frequent flyer lil_juiced_coupe's Avatar
    The kind that doesn't want to fist fight a bear for the animal in his trap. Wilderness ATCs in BC are not being renewed by the BC CFO. More the a few guys I know who have had it for 10+ years are being forced to go with mares legs, short barrell whatever to get by instead of a pistol.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WanstallsOnline View Post
    Regarding the extractors and the engraving:

The extractors were requested over ejectors by several of our frequent customers from the BC interior who run trap lines, manage campgrounds, bowhunt, etc. Nearly universally they asked for extractors as something less likely to fail, less likely to freeze in snow or winter, and less likely to cause spent shells to rebound off the body and back towards the open action of the gun. For the sacrifice in speed, you're looking at an improvement in dependability in rough country, bad elements, and nasty situations. We had to listen to that feedback! Ejectors are nice, necessary for some sports, and it seems like one less action to perform manually, until it fails on you in the upcountry winter Overwhelmingly, our "wild men" and women were asking for extractors, so we went with extractors.

The engraving was actually cheaper, and allowed us to keep costs down. Omitting the engraving would have required a completely custom run of the receivers outside of their normal chain of production, which would have actually carried a bigger pricetag and would have pushed our schedule waaaay back past "outdoors season" for the hunters, trappers, etc that we serve. We opted to keep price down by staying in the normal supply chain, and stay on track for a fall delivery instead of missing the date everybody cares about the most! This same goal held true for synthetic stocks; though we examined the possibility, the lack of an existing compatible option in the Yildiz supply chain opened us up to adding R&D time and money to the project.

We opted to stay on track for fall season with an extremely reliable firearm for the guys who needed it that way, on time We're always interested to hear what everyone thinks -- we're all shooters here at the shop ourselves, so the debate is a ton of fun. We get to use the feedback from a lot of people to pursue other projects. We always take the opinions of our different breeds of shooters seriously! Everyone has different needs, so always feel free to comment on our special projects and Wanstalls exclusives and who knows what the future might bring!

Cheers,
    Daniel
    Who do you ask for input on these projects as you design them and how do I get a part in it?, how do you gage interest, do you take money down? It seems a lot of people are asking for the same things on here yet you built something entirely different.......
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_juiced_coupe View Post
    The kind that doesn't want to fist fight a bear for the animal in his trap. Wilderness ATCs in BC are not being renewed by the BC CFO. More the a few guys I know who have had it for 10+ years are being forced to go with mares legs, short barrell whatever to get by instead of a pistol.
    and what are they saying is the reason for the refusal? are these people you know making a legal challenge?
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    Who do you ask for input on these projects as you design them and how do I get a part in it?, how do you gage interest, do you take money down? It seems a lot of people are asking for the same things on here yet you built something entirely different.......
    Shop in store and share your experiences and preferences about any of the products they do or do not carry.

We all learn from each other that way, you can also email or call them directly if you want to discuss anything.

I've never left their store with a bitter taste in my mouth.

BANNED
    South East of the Center of the Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    What difference will chokes make with the current barrel length?
    CanDown is right on the money. With a good side by side the barrel patterns will converge at a determined distance, and one of them (the 2nd) will have a tighter barrel. The concept being (have to remember these were fowlers), where the patterns converge is your hit zone with either barrel, the tighter barrel will allow an extra 10-15 yards out if the bird is still on the wing.

I'm afraid that if these are both cylinder bore (as in cut offs), there will be no convergence in the pattern, rather an overlap which will make the gun very difficult to be accurate with outside 15 feet when pointing (you'd have to compensate). For use on the trap line, the guys would just plug the barrels with rifled slugs and be done with it. A true BEAR DEFENCE gun ( WHOLLY FU<K! BOOM!BOOM!@ 10 FEET!)BTW, in this scenario, I'd rather have ejectors to speed the next "BOOM,BOOM", but I'm not a trap line guy and never have been. Just my opinion.
    With factory barrels that are choked properly even a 12" gun can be used with great accuracy, or the option of threaded chokes and the shooter will balance the patterns him/herself. (part of me believes this was the intent of threaded chokes, not to give more flexibility to the shooter, but to ease production{read increase profit} on the manufacturers end.)
    That said, it's obvious that balanced 12" barrels still bring the effective range a lot closer...how close is the question on the floor I would say. (by "balanced" I'm referring to the pattern, not the balance point of the gun)
    Last edited by plinker 777; 08-16-2014 at 05:45 PM.

CGN Regular
    I really think you can rest easy on the 12 inch barrel length. Page 3 of the BC Hunting Regs Synopsis lists handguns as "305mm (12 in.) or less" in the definitions. The (12 in.) is written right on the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    Daniel,
    Simple and cost effective makes sense.
    I'm guessing that in the interest of cost effectiveness these barrels are not custom regulated for their shorter 12 inch length.

What's your thought on the min 305mm BC hunting requirement?

Also can you address these questions?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    I think people are getting a little carried away on dissecting these guns.

Number one: They are a novelty gun. A gun that is just fun to blast away with at watermelons etc.

Number two: A few people will carry this as a bear defense gun. Shooting slugs at point-blank range into an angry grizzly.

Number three: Nobody is going to hunt birds with this gun. They would use a 28 inch barrelled gun for that. Plenty of them around.