Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dominion Slugs- Opinions?

BANNED
    Good to know as I just bought a bunch to try.. the price was right

CGN frequent flyer michaelsabre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetailwoodsarcher View Post
    not very accurate past 50 yards in my 14 inch dlask..
    LOL, not good for F class at all.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer condomboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsabre View Post
    Not really. For CQB, any barrel is fine.
    if push came to shove in CQB a pipe and a rock would work if you're close enough
    If you know how many guns you have... you don't have enough

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tjhaile's Avatar
    Has anybody taken one of these apart? I'm curious about the construction:

1. What is the diameter of the ball? These slugs are advertised as 1 ounce, which would work out to 16 gauge (.663")
    2. What sort of wadding do these shells have? Is the ball in a cup? If so, what is the outside diameter of the cup with the ball in it?

I'm thinking that the key to accuracy might lie in choke selection.

CGN frequent flyer michaelsabre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by condomboy View Post
    if push came to shove in CQB a pipe and a rock would work if you're close enough
    Agree, beyond 20m a rifle is better anyhow.

CGN Regular
    These slugs are not accurate, and the racoil is very low compared to remington slugs. Fired from a remington 870 with both a cylinder choke and improved cylinder. The remington slugs are very accurate at 50yrd and even 100.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    These slugs are not accurate, and the racoil is very low compared to remington slugs. Fired from a remington 870 with both a cylinder choke and improved cylinder. The remington slugs are very accurate at 50yrd and even 100.
    I really think these round-ball slugs need to go through a rifled barrel, if you want any kind of accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
    I really think these round-ball slugs need to go through a rifled barrel, if you want any kind of accuracy.
    You are right. If the slug is NON-Rifled, it should go thru a rifled barrel.
    I am surprise how much people don't know that. (Or can tell the difference at all)
    Member of NFA

The rifling on a rifled slug is there because the slug is actually bigger than the diameter of the barrel especially if a choke of something greater than IC or C is present. Its easier to crush fit the small ridges than it is the entire slug down the bore. They impart little or no spin.

A round ball, if it is even .005 undersize wont be accurate for crap (like a .495 cal roundball in a .50 cal muzzle loader) unless it uses a cloth patch to engage the rifling. So firing the lead ball down a rifled barrel still would not make any difference.

These are traditional pumpkin ball type slugs from the old days. They were not very accurate past 30 yards, period. But these are way affordable and look like fun.
    Last edited by Joel; 08-23-2014 at 11:49 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    A round ball, if it is even .005 undersize wont be accurate for crap (like a .495 cal roundball in a .50 cal muzzle loader) unless it uses a cloth patch to engage the rifling. So firing the lead ball down a rifled barrel still would not make any difference.

Isn't there some type of plastic sabot supporting the ball while it goes down the barrel?

I was assuming that there was. I guess we need someone to cut one apart and see.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast