Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys get to a rifle range without a car? Transporting?

Haha well, it looks like I'm limited to handguns then since rifle ranges are all about a 1 hour drive from my place, that's assuming there's some nice handgun ranges around here.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede View Post
    Or a couple of large diameter plastic packing tubes attached end to end. Anything to disguise that it is a rifle you are transporting.
    That is a tricky issue. Concealing a firearm is illegal. If you are putting it in a guitar case or other container to disguise that you're carrying a firearm you could get in serious trouble if you're caught.

That said, ETS does go very close to Wild West Shooting Center as well as Phoenix Indoor Range, but as mentioned transporting a gun via public bus is wrong and nobody would ever do it. Phoenix does have a rifle bay, but it's only 40m or so, with partitions on all sides of you and only a small window to shoot through. I'm about 6'1 and I have to hunch over pretty good to shoot offhand, and there's no option to shoot kneeling or prone. The pistol bays are better, they have motorized target hangers so you can pick a distance, and there's not quite as much restrictions on shooting offhand. It's something like $22 for a day pass, and that gets you access to the range guns as well, ammo costs separate, but members are allowed to bring their own guns and ammo. Just not steel ammo.

I've gotten a ride out to CHAS a few times with a buddy, that usually works okay. $20 fee for nonmembers but it is vastly more agreeable to rifle shooting. If you're interested, let me know and we might be able to work out some sort of carpooling deal. We'll be the guys rolling up, waving guns and screaming "Get in the car!"
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebot-7 View Post
    We'll be the guys rolling up, waving guns and screaming "Get in the car!"
    now that would be a sight to see.
    "There's something I want to tell you. A story about those who seemed to have lost something. But were able to gain something by coming together."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer new and novice's Avatar
    Company policies aren't laws. You may be asked to leave a bus if they discovered you were transporting a rifle, but you broke no laws. Get a guitar case, and go have fun.
    Twitter: @reason911

Well, at least with a handgun, you can put the case in a backpack to be a little more discreet.

Quote Originally Posted by 5hooter View Post
    Haha well, it looks like I'm limited to handguns then since rifle ranges are all about a 1 hour drive from my place, that's assuming there's some nice handgun ranges around here.

CGN Regular
    Was not long ago a man was arrested in Edmonton because someone called 911, .22 bolt removed people couldn't believe anyone would think that this would even happen in shock lol. Long story short not allowed on ets.

Quote Originally Posted by Algoguy View Post
    buy a guitar case
    This is actually great advice. Firearms transporting laws are actually pretty unrestrictive (I biked home from my local gun shop with my 795 strapped across my back in a gun case, no problems and perfectly legal) but it's all about appearances for the un-informed ie. majority of the population. Guitar cases will get you where you want to go and nobody will be upset because it's a familiar shape to them. A gun case will make people nervous, and that is what gets the police called. Try contacting the range and see if anyone can set up a carpool with you, maybe some others are in the same situation?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    Youll need an extra long guitar case for that mosin.

CGN frequent flyer G-Man_Quagmire's Avatar
    Guitar case is fine, people need to relax. If no one knows what's in the case, you will not get harassed. Nothing illegal about guitar cases. We aren't expected to carry a gun in a pelican case with padlocks and a label that says "Gun" in big letters. Soft guitar cases are the best.
    People should world proof their children instead of trying to child proof the world.

Stop buying rifles until you get wheels. Priorities
    A man is only as big as the problems that he lets bother him

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast