Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outlaw VS Backpacker

I have put over 200 rounds down the tube of my backpacker and have run into minor issues.. broke a lifter spring and wore out the hammer spring. CanAm was great with getting me up and running again, best Customer service in the industry. It is heavy and at the end of the day it is exactly what you pay for.. a H&R topper Chinese clone with a short barrel. I did, overtime and as the budget allowed , build up a 870 with the dlask barrel to eventually replace the DA Backpacker as my hiking firearm. Overall I would buy this short little break action shotgun again if I had a small budget for a hiking/pack shotty.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cyclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrown01 View Post

Since your expectations are so high, how about not being so cheap and buying a reliable DLASK 870 short model instead of the Chinese model 870?

Plus, how much shorter does the gun REALLY need to be? Oh sorry…. --- "Ouch" --- 18" overall length is too much to meet you your backpack requirements eh?

Where exactly are you backpacking to that the gun needs to be shorter than 18 inches in length broken down?

You fail to make mention of the weight requirements you expect. What is the weight restriction you will consider for your adventure approximately, sorry NutnFancy?

No offence, but we generally (and genuinely) try to be nice to one another here on CGN, if it can at all be helped.

Thanks kindly.

And to the OP, one of the things to watch with a pistol-grip-only "backpacker" (though I know you didn't necessarily ask about one) is to try and find one where the break-open lever won't "bite you".
    Last edited by cyclone; 08-22-2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added the part about the break-open lever
    But there is only one person that I see on CGN as being truly despicable by every ethical and moral standards and worse: to be dangerous to the community itself, and that's Cyclone the subversive.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    I just got an Outlaw as a fun toy for clients to come and shoot at our range. I really like it just because it's fun to shoot and looks cool.

I wouldn't personally trust it in a bear defense role though. It shoots 6" high with slugs at 20 yards. The forend sometimes pops off after a couple of slug or buckshot shots. The exposed hammers are one more thing to snag or go wrong. The action can be difficult to open after shooting. None of these are desirable qualities for a firearm you trust your life with.

It's a fun gun, not a tough as nails hard working gun. I'll toss it in the truck to sluice grouse with probably, too.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Hmm... seems my Outlaw is slightly bigger broken down than a Backpacker? Smallest bit is about 21"
    For what it's worth

[IMG][/IMG]

I have a backpacker, take it with me when I go hike in the mountains. Got mine at a gun show for $80, it was a retailer reject due to some minor cosmetic deficiencies. the hand guard rattled and was not a tight fit, as well as a hairline crack in the grip.
    It shoots bird and buck shot decently out to 30m ish. ive used it for skeet a few times for kicks, surprising did alright. I can't hit a dang thing with slugs, its really hard, tried all different brands, at 50m they are all 8-12" off target and they group inconsistently at that range.
    From my experience with it, you can expect to hit things consistently at 25m. But maybe thats just me I'm not really into shotguns, more of a rifle guy.
    Although I do like the backpacker because it is very reliable, handy, portable and cool, I still honestly could say that I would not buy another one for $150. (if I stumble upon anouther discounted reject, sure) Its a clumsy and random thing, in my opinion. It works and is a tough little gun, but its doesn't excel at anything, besides getting stuffed into a backpack. It's more of a neat toy if you ask me.

Hunting? in a pinch sure...
    Bear Medicine? Maybe, but good luck reloading that when you got a grizzly charging at you. With its effective range, you better bring an extra pair of pants.
    Grouse? I'd rather have a 410
    Flare Gun? Ive been shooting allot of 12ga flares out of mine. WORKS GREAT! with flares (basically all I use it for now)
    Truck Gun? Sure. Mine now resides in my 4x4, due to its size its easy to keep out of sight and mind, its versatile, it shoots flares (y). Its worth always having in the truck if I'm ever bogged down wheeling.

Essentially there are other guns I could fit into a backpack that I would rather have with me in a pinch.
    like...
    Chiappa Douple badger (22/410 over under) are about $350-400 breaks down to about the same size, I think that a 22 and a 410 are better suited for the backpacking role.
    and if you're worried about predators Id say go with takedown 45-70 levergun.

But at the end of the day, any gun is better then no gun, and there isn't really much to compete with the backpacker in its price range. It's cheap, it works, but don't expect much from it.

CGN Regular
    I use my Outlaw as a canoe/backpacking/truck gun. I personally love it. It's ugly as sin, cheap and goes bang everytime I've pulled the trigger(s).
    The hammers both work, the triggers both work and neither the stock nor the for end have cracked.
    In my mind this makes it perfect for it's role for a multitude of reasons.
    -2 Barrels: quick follow up shot if needed.
    -External Hammers: If I'm sleeping in bear country and feel the need I can have it loaded in the tent and it is infinitely safe yet immediately available should I need it (unlikely, but like a fire extinguisher in the house I would rather have it and not need it rather then need it and not have it.
    -Twin Triggers: No messing around with a barrel selector. If I'm walking around I usually keep birdshot in one tube and buck or slug in the other. Also, if you feel that you absolutely, positively, need something dead now I think there is not much on this earth that will stand up to either a double hit of slugs or 18 pellets our of 00.
    -Cheap and Ugly: Not worried about dropping it in the lake, on the ground, or throwing it in the bow of a canoe in the rain.
    -Accuracy is "good enough" barrel regulation is terrible but you can kill grouse and squirrels out to 25ish yards no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hms11 View Post
    I use my Outlaw as a canoe/backpacking/truck gun. I personally love it. It's ugly as sin, cheap and goes bang everytime I've pulled the trigger(s).
    The hammers both work, the triggers both work and neither the stock nor the for end have cracked.
    -External Hammers: If I'm sleeping in bear country and feel the need I can have it loaded in the tent and it is infinitely safe yet immediately available should I need it (unlikely, but like a fire extinguisher in the house I would rather have it and not need it rather then need it and not have it.
    -Twin Triggers: No messing around with a barrel selector. If I'm walking around I usually keep birdshot in one tube and buck or slug in the other. Also, if you feel that you absolutely, positively, need something dead now I think there is not much on this earth that will stand up to either a double hit of slugs or 18 pellets our of 00.
    -Cheap and Ugly: Not worried about dropping it in the lake, on the ground, or throwing it in the bow of a canoe in the rain.
    -Accuracy is "good enough" barrel regulation is terrible but you can kill grouse and squirrels out to 25ish yards no problem.
    x2. Get the outlaw! and you'll feel soo badass to boot lol

Quote Originally Posted by hms11 View Post
    x2. Get the outlaw! and you'll feel soo badass to boot lol

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CanadianReich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Wheres he asking anything about 870's? Meh I like mine then again I don't use it for 12ga. Haven't noticed the rail mount and what appears to be a shell in the barrel? Maybe because I got a full rifled 45 ACP adapter in mine. Thats why I went with a 13"

Also hes prolly trying to fit it in one of those nice alum mastercraft cases. Which happens to be shorter then 18".

Mine comes apart in 3 seconds and goes back together just as fast. She is crude built, but I only paid 95$ total for mine. Breaks I'll buy another and have spare parts. I put some felt under the forearm to tighten it up.

I already own the DA grizzly 870 12 inch

wont fit into my backpack

I want something small to avoid "gun calls" for transporting a long gun legally to and from hunting.........

politicians and police seem to have scared the public into thinking everything is worth a gun call- couple this with subjective firearms laws and non-lawyer police its a system for abuse

ive already been on the bad end of that abuse and would like to have guns that come apart.......... because even having a gun case is enough to get cops all over you ........or wearing camo it seems too these days.

heck, you could be in the middle of a dirt road miles from civilization in the woods too! I've heard this for a fact. gun call for a gun case and camo, in a legal hunting area during a season when hunter's orange was not required.

I need to hunt with stealth...........like a poacher.......even though I am hunting legally and doing nothing wrong, because it is all too common these days to be treated like a criminal for perfectly legal use and transport of firearms by licensed gun owners.

18 inches wont fit in my backpack.

Every time anyone uses a gun for legal purposes they are at risk of being abused by "gun calls" so imo its best to be stealthy.
    Please ban this account. I've been using it so long, with so many posts and information divulged, I suspect most anyone can tell who I am now. Do I still have my "reasonable expectation of privacy" with this account? Time to move on.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CanadianReich's Avatar
    Please note that you cant have a gun - not even a long gun- for defense in Nova Scotia- from anything- not even black bears or coywolves.

"gun ownership is contingent on hunting" (update- i will source this http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/L...inst-coyotes/1

exact quote was "Bruce Nunn, a regional manager of enforcement at Natural Resources, said provincial laws say very clearly the possession of firearms in a wildlife habitat is incumbent on hunting."

So if you want to go hiking you need to be hunting.........

defending one's life is a criminal act here, pretty much, even in areas with no 911, no roads, no trails, and lots of wildlife
    Last edited by CanadianReich; 08-26-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: source
    Please ban this account. I've been using it so long, with so many posts and information divulged, I suspect most anyone can tell who I am now. Do I still have my "reasonable expectation of privacy" with this account? Time to move on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast