Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outlaw VS Backpacker

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CanadianReich's Avatar

Outlaw VS Backpacker

On the assumption that im not too late to grab the outlaw or backpacker at $50 off with the purchase of 10 boxes of those new DA slugs/buckshot........

I want something that will easily fit in most backpacks.

I see the Backpaker has 13inches and Outlaw has 12 inches and both are about the same overall length, which makes me thing the stock of the outlaw is an inch longer than the backpacker.

What I am getting as is, when the guns are broken down, what is the LONGEST part of either gun? this is the determining factor in back-pack ability!

What is total measurement of the stock (from rubber pad to the hing area)

Also, a related question- QUALITY. I've head the backpacker may be more reliable.........but have little to no information.

The Outlaw has external hammers and what appear to be flat headed screws (AAGGR!) while the backpacker has pins..... are those pins easy to punch out or are they roller-pins that NEVER come out (crushed on both ends....). do you ever really need to take them out?

anything come lose or fall off on either model?

side thought:
    If we get another batch of outlaws in I think a couple with the barrels length matching the stock length would be nice- they take up the same space in the backpack (ie the longest part of the 2 parts is the limiting factor) but you get more accuracy with that extra inch or two barrel.

backpacker

outlaw
    Please ban this account. I've been using it so long, with so many posts and information divulged, I suspect most anyone can tell who I am now. Do I still have my "reasonable expectation of privacy" with this account? Time to move on.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer RobertMcC's Avatar
    About 18"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CanadianReich's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    About 18"

ouch

thanks
    Please ban this account. I've been using it so long, with so many posts and information divulged, I suspect most anyone can tell who I am now. Do I still have my "reasonable expectation of privacy" with this account? Time to move on.

CGN Regular
    Have heard the backpacker has a problem loosing the front bead when using slugs. [The front bead is sometimes drilled straight though into the barrel]

From experience the outlaw can get stuck on opening. Happened a few times with a friends gun after a few hours in poor weather.

CGN Regular
    yeah man.. thats mean =/

Never shot a backpacker but I had an outlaw. It was a fun gun, kicked like a horse and had a tendency to shake the fore grip loose after a bit. Maybe some blue locktite would have fixed it but I sold it.

Two barrels are better than one!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer RobertMcC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrown01 View Post
    Since your expectations are so high, how about not being so cheap and buying a reliable DLASK 870 short model instead of the Chinese model 870?

Plus, how much shorter does the gun REALLY need to be? Oh sorry…. --- "Ouch" --- 18" overall length is too much to meet you your backpack requirements eh?

Where exactly are you backpacking to that the gun needs to be shorter than 18 inches in length broken down?

You fail to make mention of the weight requirements you expect. What is the weight restriction you will consider for your adventure approximately, sorry NutnFancy?
    Wheres he asking anything about 870's? Meh I like mine then again I don't use it for 12ga. Haven't noticed the rail mount and what appears to be a shell in the barrel? Maybe because I got a full rifled 45 ACP adapter in mine. Thats why I went with a 13"

Also hes prolly trying to fit it in one of those nice alum mastercraft cases. Which happens to be shorter then 18".

Mine comes apart in 3 seconds and goes back together just as fast. She is crude built, but I only paid 95$ total for mine. Breaks I'll buy another and have spare parts. I put some felt under the forearm to tighten it up.
    Last edited by RobertMcC; 08-22-2014 at 12:38 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer legi0n's Avatar
    On this very forum I've seen some purty and short side by side and over and unders.

Can there be one thread on here without a douche bag? Seriously... grow up.

For $150 I have no complaints... I've brought it on two camping trips this summer and we had some fun with it basting some paper targets. No, its not amazing quality, but again its $150 and it works. Someone posted something about it not taking slugs very well, I only used bird shot and it was fine.

I just got a 12" Grizzly and will be taking it camping this weekend! Looks like its much better quality than the backpacker, but it was twice the price at $300, still cheap... I thought realistically it would be more versatile than a single shot. They generally have very good reviews and Canada ammo is the best, low tax and free shipping.

I looked at the Dlask 870 myself. At $850 its overpriced imo. Are they not just taking a standard $400ish 870, putting a short barrel on it and a tactical forehand? Then adding $450 to the price? Sure it would be the best quality of the three, but no way is it worth $850, with tax and shipping its a $1000 shotgun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast