Thread: Nova Scotia transfer time for first restricted firearms 7 buisness days

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sturmsoldat's Avatar

Nova Scotia transfer time for first restricted firearms 7 buisness days

Hi Guys
    I thought I share my experience purchasing my first restricted firearm here in my beautiful new home Nova Scotia and maybe help some other folks with it. I purchased a GSG 1911 .22 and a Norinco NP22 on Saturday August 16 at my local gun store. The Store, off course, initiated the transfer online and told me it usually takes 3 to 7 business to get the transfer approved by the Chief Firearms Officer of Nova Scotia. On Monday August 18 I faxed in the proof of membership to a local shooting range (photocopy of my member card plus transfer number). Today I called about the status of the transfer and was told everything was in order but the Nova Scotia's Firearms Office is backlogged and understaffed (on a side note the government of nova scotia just posted 2 position for Firearms Officers) and call back in a couple of days. I will undergo a total hip replacement surgery tomorrow and will not be able to drive for 6 weeks and subsequently not pick up my firearms. Luckily, my gun store will deliver to my home next week after I am released from the Hospital. If the transfer is approved at the time. I will updated when the transfer is actual approved. Take care guys and stay safe.
    Last edited by Sturmsoldat; 08-20-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    "If you survive that sh*t and make it Home, You are a Hero"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer scout_289's Avatar
    Sturmsoldat

Thank you for your service and for the update.

My first took exactly one week (Thursday to Thursday) for approval and a STATT for pickup, this was a local private sale.

CGN Regular
    Hi I looked at length of questions they have to review when granting a card. its a fair amount.however if they are backogged, you should have your local MLA call the dept to see why the service standard isnt being met

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Sturmsoldat's Avatar
    Update: Sorry guys but needed time to recover after the surgery. It took exactly 9 days or 5 business days until the transfer was approved. Luckily the guy from the store delivered my two guns to my home as I am not able to drive until October 6. Now the battle begins for a long term ATT. Filled out the paperwork, send in my proof of range membership and it cam back from the CFO. Now I need a form filled out by my range called "Authorization to transport Gun Club recommendation". That could be a problem as I cannot drive lol. E-maild my gun club hopefully the can send it in the mail. I keep you updated. Take care guys!!!
    "If you survive that sh*t and make it Home, You are a Hero"