Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Well Do You Know Your TV Cowboys?

Good-ole IMFDB (that and the fact that everything, even the most marginal TV shows and movies, are available on DVD/BluRay now) has largely obliterated this "sport" so many of us us used to play, including in this thread I think. I don't think too many of us have photographic memories of TV shows from 1959.

LeMat Revolver
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/LeMat_Revolver

Smith & Wesson Schofield
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Schofield

Clint Eastwood (aka "Rowdy Yates")
    http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Clint_Eastwood

What! No Rawhide! Here's the pistol... a Single Action Army

And check out this comment:
    ""Joe" (Clint Eastwood), aka "The Man with No Name", raises his Single Action Army revolver. His revolver is the one he had carried in the 1959 television series Rawhide."

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/A_Fistful_of_Dollars

Try these:
    1. What rifle is most associated with John Wayne during his long "Western" career? What pistol?

A nerd question?
    2. How many "Third Reich issued" (requires some interpretation) firearms appear in the original "Star Wars" trilogy?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Wolverine View Post
    Congratulations, you nailed it. Great show, only ran two years.
    Actually it was my grandfather!

Ghostie:

Try these:
    1. What rifle is most associated with John Wayne during his long "Western" career? What pistol?

A nerd question?
    2. How many "Third Reich issued" (requires some interpretation) firearms appear in the original "Star Wars" trilogy?

John wayne carried a winchester 1892 rifle, and in star wars han solo's blaster was based on a broom handle mauser, and i believe the storm troopers rifles were based on a mg42.
    Tyrell: "More human than human" is our motto.

"The Winchester 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine with large lever loop used by John Wayne in the film True Grit, similar to the one he used in Rio Bravo and El Dorado. Serial #501892. Pictured with .44-40 shells. (Source: Photocopied from book "The Peacemakers: Arms and Adventure in the American West" written by R.L. Wilson.)"

IMFDB shows that John Wayne used a Winchester 1892 Carbine in at least 12 feature films, and the Colt Single Action Army pistol in at least 21!!

On Star Wars... come on. You're not trying hard enough. There are more.

Quote Originally Posted by davetrue View Post
    Ghostie:

Try these:

A nerd question?

John wayne carried a winchester 1892 rifle, and in star wars han solo's blaster was based on a broom handle mauser, and i believe the storm troopers rifles were based on a mg42.
    actually the storm troopers blasters are based on sterlings, in Empire strickes back @ the battle of hoth, a few of the guns were built on mg42s, fg42s, and believe it or not a maxim...

....nerd life

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
    Jayne Cobb (Adam Baldwin) from Firefly used a modified LeMat. Does that count?
    Wicked! Damn Browncoats!
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Here's another question in the "nerd" category: not counting Jayne Cobb's LeMat revolver mentioned in this thread, or any of the other Firefly/Serenity revolver mock-ups, name three other examples where a revolver was modified to look futuristic for a film or television production.

And a hard one for the cowboy guys... everybody know's about Morgan Freeman's Spencer 1860 carbine in "Unforgiven", but can you find a Spencer on film or television before its iconic appearance in Clint Eastwood's Academy Award winning movie (1992)?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Wolverine View Post
    It's a 45-110 sharps cartridge, with a barrel 4 inches longer than normal (usually 30 inch), with a vernier sight, and he mentions the set triggers. I can remember being a little miffed when he referred to it as a lever action breech loader LOL.. Now for the math question...roughly half a mile?
    I'm not sure of the distance either. I just timed how long it took from when Whitey picked up the bucket until he dropped it and Wiki'd the average speed of a galloping horse. Someone tell me if the math is wrong.

1 mile = 5280 feet
    25 miles = 132,000 feet

V=D/T

132,000 / 60 = 2200 feet per minute
    2,200 / 60 = 36.67 feet per second
    36.67 fps x 43 seconds = 1576.81 feet
    1 yard = 3 feet
    1576.81 / 3 = 525.6 yards
    "Arm yourself because no one else here will save you." - Chris Cornell

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ljones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostie View Post
    And a hard one for the cowboy guys... everybody know's about Morgan Freeman's Spencer 1860 carbine in "Unforgiven", but can you find a Spencer on film or television before its iconic appearance in Clint Eastwood's Academy Award winning movie (1992)?

Billy Two Hats (1974), Rancho Deluxe (1975), Valdez Is Coming (1971), Quigley Down Under (1990)
    No such thing as too much ammunition or toilet paper...

Quote Originally Posted by ljones View Post
    Billy Two Hats (1974), Rancho Deluxe (1975), Valdez Is Coming (1971), Quigley Down Under (1990)
    Billy Two Hats (1974) - Sharps rifle - Note, among other things, the position of the front sight.

Rancho Deluxe (1975) - could be a winner, I had no luck verifying this one, although one of the lines from the movie is, apparently, “A Sharps buffalo rifle… This is gettin’ downright romantic!”

Valdez Is Coming (1971) - Sharps 1874 - the rear sight is the give-away here.

Quigley Down Under (1990) - Shiloh Sharps 1874 Long Range
    Last edited by ghostie; 08-23-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast