Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am stuck on my PAL application. It's been 11 months.

CGN Regular

Unhappy I am stuck on my PAL application. It's been 11 months.

Hello everyone, for the past few months my license application has been stuck at the Ontario CFO's office for some time now and Iv'e been sent a letter basically saying they want my health records and a bunch of other stuff for my gun license application but the doctor Ive been seeing has retired this month, I was thinking of getting a mental assessment done and just mailing it back to them or something but I'm having trouble finding a place willing to do one for a gun license application.

One doctor I spoke to when I went into a walk in clinic told me " yeah nobody is going to sign this if they don't know you, they would be putting their careers on the line etc."

Since I have nowhere else to turn I thought I'd might look for advice here, if they want your medical records etc but you don't have a doctor, or one willing to sign the paperwork, what can you do?

CGN Regular

Pal

It's been awhile since I did mine, but I don't recall them asking for medical records.

I just looked at this form:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5592-eng.pdf

and didn't see anywhere that they asked for medical info except for:

16. d) During the past five (5) years, have you threatened or attempted suicide, or have you suffered from or been diagnosed or treated by
    a medical practitioner for: depression; alcohol, drug or substance abuse;behavioural problems; or emotional problems?

You want to talk about waiting, try getting a range approved
    Last edited by Krash37; 08-22-2014 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Adding info

CGN Regular
    I was diagnosed with a mental disability by a social worker back in high school, so that must have something to do with it.

The title of the letter they sent me was: "Consent for Disclosure of Medical Information to a Chief Firearms Officer to Assess Eligibility for a Firearms License."

Even thou your doctor has retired your medal records will be some where. contact your doctor and find out how to get a hold of them.
    CSSA member since 2011. CCFR member since Apr. 2016
    check my Youtube videos out at http://www.youtube.com/user/dakotamar

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CdnCombatMedic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamar View Post
    Even thou your doctor has retired your medal records will be some where. contact your doctor and find out how to get a hold of them.
    Correct. Just need to track them down. Get your file, take it to a new Doc.

CGN frequent flyer
    How does a social worker diagnose anything??

CGN Regular
    Mmm, the problem with that is I have no idea where the guy went, he moved somewhere far far away.

On top of that I only saw the guy maybe once a year, he doesn't really have any records.

As for the diagnosis, I have no idea. They must have had someone in the system with a degree in psychology or something do it.

I never even knew until they told me when I called to check up on my license status.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by GBG View Post
    How does a social worker diagnose anything??
    Yep another good idea, a bit like giving the classification of firearms to the police which knows less about firearms than any 1 year CGN member

Quote Originally Posted by ultra_bright View Post
    Mmm, the problem with that is I have no idea where the guy went, he moved somewhere far far away.

On top of that I only saw the guy maybe once a year, he doesn't really have any records.

As for the diagnosis, I have no idea. They must have had someone in the system with a degree in psychology or something do it.

I never even knew until they told me when I called to check up on my license status.

Check with the OMA (Ontario Medical Association)...if he was a doctor practising in Ontario up until last year, they will have some info on him and can likely advise as to the disposition of your records...also check with Ministry of Health

Your medical records are yours. All you have to do is request them and pay the fee to copy them. Your doctor may have retired but your records will have been sent to either thee doctor taking over his practice or a place that does nothing but stores and files medical records for dr. offices. Just track them down. I would think your new dr. could advise you on how to do this. I can understand he might not feel comfortable signing off on your lic. if he doesn't know you well enough but he can steer you in the right direction... Good luck! A hobby can only help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast